1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just been to powerhouse.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by knobbs, May 10, 2005.

1. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just been in powerhouse for 1 hour or so actually talked to gent who was well knowledged in plasma tvs, he knew his stuff, compared to comet, currys, well impressed actually talking to someone who wasnt bull crapping me.
    anyway went in to see the panny pe50, even took a dvd world cup goals, looked ok, there was 3 tvs the pe50 in front just to the left b ehind was a sony 42 and a panny pe37 the new g8 panels and all showing monsters inc the panny 37 hit me like a brick wall never seen a pic like it, asked the gent to put my footy dvd on it but it also played it the same time to the sony 42 the panny as i was expecting blew it away and also blew the panny 42 away both the pannys had the same settings, thought the 37 had been set up better, but no exactly same both on dynamic, so told the gent to put them both on bbc1 the 42 panny the sony and the panny 37 the panny 37 won hands up, did go to powerhouse to see the pe50 but now im going to get the panny pe37 it was awesome best pic ive ever seen the footy dvd was brilliant, ok it was on a dvd but no motion blur-no solarisation nothing, not like the crappy lg42 i had, so get yourself a panny 37 inch pe37 its awesome.
    knobbs.

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I saw the same thing 37 looked way better but the 42 is just the same when setup right.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    by pe37, I presume you mean the 37in version of the THPE50? (ie the smaller version of the TH42PE50)?

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I don't think him being Asian should make it a surprise that he knew his stuff

5. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    his colour made no difference to me, it was just nice to be able to talk to some-one who knew what he was on about.
    as for the 42 being the same as the 37 i disagree both tv's had been running for a month both were set up exactly the same all settings the same both on freeview bbc1 and the 37 blew the 42 away.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh, why the 'but' ?

anyway, if the screens were all displaying simultaneous feeds at Powerhouse, then its safe to say they were daisychained - meaning only one (probably the 37") was using the RGB feed direct from the DVD player - the others probably were receiving a composite pass-through of this signal. the same for the Freeview channels - change channels individually on each set and swap the co-ax lead around if possible.

you need to go back and move the DVD player between plasma screens - being a friendly indian-looking chap im sure he'll accommodate you.

7. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as for the but comet, currys etc do not know what rgb means.
    the sony and the panny 37 were daisychained the 42 was set up on its own on a good aerial feed.

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    u need the same source going into both a dvd player would be best. I saw the 42" and it looked like crap next to the 37". but my mum owns the 42" and is nothing like the tv i saw in powerhouse.

9. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u need the same source i agree both panels were on rgb scart
    from dvd player and aerial feed for the freeview the 37 won hands down.

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was thinking the same thing.................

PS Knobbs, I think the SHIFT key is broken on your keyboard !

11. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    daipac you replied to my post if u remember on the sh*tty lg i got rid of you said it was the dogs i said it was sh*tty-low and behold i notice in ur recent posts of moaning about solarisation-pixelation-are u taking something were not.

12. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    are u 100% sure they make it look like that they had finding nemo on and they were both connected via component from dvd player and the payer was playing but the 37 had the direct source and the 42 had an rf source from somewere else even though they made it look like it was from the dvd player.

13. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sort of got u-the 42 inch was connected to a dvd player all on its own the other 2 were daisychaned. the 37 via rgb scart

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NOt wanting to be critical but Dynamic is the worst setting to compare them on, the 37" will always look better from same or larger diastance, its smaller! were they showning analogue or digital TV? To compare them properly is very hard, and you cant really cross compare sizes on PQ, if both pannys had been on display a month, how long has the Sony been there burining itself merrily away on high contrast and brightness?

15. Ryderage

Ryderage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I really don't see how this guys race is relevant !??!?

16. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54

I aggree, now if someone in the same town wanted to know who you talked to at P/H then you could say "I think his name was blah/blah he is the one that is Black/White etc" how his skin tone makes a diff or should have been highlighted to start with, easy way to offend people on the boards, none of us know what race each other are unless we have met before, its a forum for all, on another note, the 37" will nearly always look better the piccie is not as stretched as a 42" like HD said, until the 42" is setup properly.

Taz

17. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507

I was thinking the same thing about them being in Dynamic mode.

I hate that setting, its fair to harsh - :lesson:

Is that what they come on as default?

Dal

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    YES Dynamic is normally default, i hoped the new ones would be........................(hence the forum mantra) :
    TAKE IT OUT OF DYNAMIC MODE

19. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the main point here is the panel not abt who i spoke to in the shop and why you all making up excuses abt the 37 inch is not as good as the 42 panny . it was changed to all settings with the remote, the 37 was left in dynamic, but sorry to say still didnt get no where near the 37.
    how many of you were getting the 42inch panny.

20. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    agreed that should be the point and I doubt you meant anything by it.....but if he'd been a white guy would you have started by saying that he was pale skinned , possibly European but knew more than the guys in comet?

21. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

22. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes meant nothing by it-which ive already said, so why dont you just talk about the panel instead or have you already got one but not a panny.

23. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you can see what i've got

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Think you've upset them all, knobbs. Electronics is a passion for a lot of Asians, as well as a lot of us pasty pale folks. The real issue is that what you see in powerhouse may have little to do with real world screen performance. The only way to really demo one screen against another is with identical source, logically with a distribution amp for RGB or component.

25. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they were both on freeview bbc1 too good aeriel source the 37 is a lot better.

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You sound very authoritative on this subject. Any signal that gives a picture on freeview is good BTW, it's digital TV. The only thing we can deduce from this is you have some interest in powerhouse?

27. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no interest in powerhouse or any other retail outlet, i had an lg 42in plasma which was a bag of pooh, ok it was early firmware so i got rid. i have hunted around every retailer in my town and trawled the net and the only plasma set up i have seen with a good source aerial etc was powerhouse which are selling this tv 37 in at £1999.00 if i was so into powerhouse why have i just ordered this tv for £1335.00 off the net because i was so impressed.
    like i said i went into see the pe50 42 in. but the 37 in absolutely wow'd me. i bought the tv for my missus and the kids have my own lg lcd in the back room which i watch the footy on with the lads. knobbs.

28. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Sorry I was gonna forgive the asian thing ( pale Scotsman by the way) but LCD and football... :thumbsdow
    37" has same pixel count but as screen is smaller so will the pixels be therefore it may well appear better at smaller distances say 10ft or less. I have been told the difference is negligible but then again it depends on your eyesight and how picky you are. Oh and 37" is cheaper!! which always helps the brain decide :rotfl:

£1335 seems rather cheap where did you order from and did that include VAT and delivery and a tabletop stand.

29. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what hooking asian thing , i actually complemented the bloke-very polite very well manared-well dressed, he knew his stuff -so stop all the racist sh*te and get on with talking about the panel, nothing to do with money, im very picky on pic qual;ity-go to powerhouse and view yourself -the 37 is the dogs.
    or r u too busy watching ur plasma-which aint a panny.

30. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dont have a screen yet( will probably be Panny) and agree than in my area which is Stirling that Powerhouse are the best of the large retailers regards PQ.
    I actually thought your description of the chap in store was done so that anyone else going into that store could seek him out as lets face it most saleman in these joints are hopeless. Sorry if it seemed i was jumping on the race bandwagon I was actually implying that Football on a LCD was more important (given the smearing most seem to produce)

I also would like to read some more useful thoughts on 37" v 42" and regards cost there is little in it in real terms.

So come on spill the beans which site did you order from?