1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just been to James Morrow in Edinburgh for a demo of 5700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jmbrailsford, Mar 4, 2005.

1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Just back from a demo of the Infocus 5700 at James Morrow in Edinburgh and I think I have just about made my mind up about which PJ to go for.

The colours and detail using the 57000 even with only the component connection was superb!

I can safely say that if anyone around the Edinburgh area is looking for a projector or anything to do with Hi-Fi or AV equipment, I can highly recommend a look at James Morrow as their demo room is excellent, large and well set up and they are happy to let you demo anything in their shop as long as they have prior notice.

I will certainly be heading back sometime soon to sort out a deal with them for a Projector and Screen.

http://www.james-morrow.com/

:clap:

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    If your budget can stretch, consider the discounted 7200. A better machine overall - especially the picture.

Cap :)

3. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Just got one love it ! 7200 that is :D

4. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Best price for one?

Looks a good machine but don't know if budget can s t r e t c h that far, especially as planning garage conversion, redecorate, new flooring AND new speaker package as well.

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Yes, I'd like to:

A: Also know the best price for a 7200 machine
    B: Just in what ways is it better than say a AE700 or a Sony HS50

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Been having a read about the 7200 and just a couple of worrying points (always a fly in the ointment it seems)
    I'd appreciate anyone here (who has 1st hand experience) commenting on these points, as they may have just been down to review units and not the norm.

1: Colour / brightness uniformity.
    One review commented that displaying a whole white screen, you could see definate bright and dark patches, which varied between 2 models. One was bright in one corner more than anywhere else, the other bright in the centre and dull elsewhere.
    Sounds a bit odd considering the massive price of this unit at the time.

2: straightness of the projected screen.
    Comments about on a 8 ish foot screen, the image could be 3/4" out of straight along certain edges, maing you'd have to over project onto black border to hide this....

Personally I can't see why either of this would be considered "the norm" for something of thie price, let alone the price is WAS when it came out.

I'd just like to hear comments about these 2 issues from any actual owners on here.

Many thanks

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    Hello all

I hope your all considering the ThemeScene H57 as a very viable option to the InFocus units - very similar price to the ScreenPlay 5700 and same resolution (1024x576) but better Contrast due to the DarkChip2 TI chip set.

The H57 is very quite (23dB) and has a DVI (with HDCP) Input so no messing about with M1 adapters.

Best regards

Joe

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    (Not an owner, but) That's almost certainly due to imprecise installation of the projector and/or screen, or curvature of the screen.

9. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I have seen the geometry fault mentioned in two different reviews so I would suspect that it is a genuine fault of the 7200 and as such puts me off buying it.

As to the other comments regarding the H57, that too is on my list of possible buys, however I am unable to buy it or see it locally, so not too sure about it.

I like the deals available online from certain retailers and if buying online I would probably go for the H57 as the 3 year swap out warranty avoids the delivery and return of machines from the relevant repair departments.

However if James Morrow could do the H57 for me then I would just get it from them as they would try and match any online deals.

Anyone seen a better deal for the H57 than £1789 for PJ with free ceiling mount, half price screen ( add another £249 - £449 ) and half price bulb ( £175 ) ?

Available here - http://www.audiovisiononline.co.uk/

:cool:

10. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Two things for me appear to knacker the Themescene H57 for my needs.

1: It appears to have (from pictures) all it's venting at the rear, which is not good as I want it as close to the rear wall as poss (to get maximum distance from screen)

Guess I could make vents to get around this.....

2: It appears to have a long throw lens (seeing at it's another £250 for an optional short throw lens)

I can't find any calculators for the lens throw for this make.

Only 900 lumens?
    On paper this seems lower light and lower res than the Infocus 7200

If only they could all be viewed......

11. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Ok Found the screen size calculator:
    http://www.themescene.tv/ts/screensizeguide.asp

Seems at my (guessed) distance of 2.95 metres

By default my screen width would be 62" to 74" wide (5 ft to 6ft wide)

Using the add on lens would give 105" to 108" wide (8.75ft to 9ft wide!!!)
    But I think their calculator is giving iffy answers. the screen width with the extra lens inches and mm wide don't seem to tally up.

12. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Had my 7200 since Xmas eve I and am absolutely delighted with it - particularly for the price. I have only 2 real moans about it in all honesty:

1) It is a little noisy and can be a little annoying on some quieter films, though having said that I like films with plenty of stuff going on so it is not a massive problem.
    Whilst it is not an option for me I have been reading some comments that on some Screenplay models the noise can be reduced markedly by mounting the unit the right way up.

2) Less of a fault of the projector - and somewhat stating the obvious - but due to the size of the projected image (7 foot screen) you do tend to notice imperfections in the image that much more. Sky in particular looks quite ropey, obviously depending on the channel and content wheras the same broadcast on my 32" Sony CRT looks fine. On the flip side though I watched Bad boys 2 Superbit the other night and the picture was absolutely stunning (to my eyes) which just goes to show that it richly rewards a decent input source.

If I was buying now I would not hesitate to go for a 7200 provided I could get hold of one as I know when I got mine they were getting scarce. It really is something of a no brainer for the asking price and the icing on the cake will be that due to it's native resolution, I (hopefully) won't have to upgrade when HD TV comes along. That said, in the wonderful world of Home Cinema the next upgrade is never far away :)

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    Hello all

jmbrailsford - as you say the 3Yr Warranty is a big plus point with this H57 and you may be surprised to know it is available with full Dealer support far closer to home than you imagine :)

Tempest - keep in mind when mounting the ScreenPlay 7200 you need to allow for an M1 to DVI adapter + a DVI hood - or find a suitable M1 to DVI or HDMI cable that suits your needs.

As long as your not planning on actually 'boxing in' the ThemeScene H57 you can get it pretty close to your rear wall - again though leave room for a DVI hood and some space to get cables in and out of their respective sockets.

How far are you sitting from the screen - most folk find that 1.5x the screen width is ideal; you may find you don't need or want an 8' or 9' image.

Best regards

Joe

14. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have a 7200 now and being very fussy and worried about geometry noise problems etc ... I have to say at under £3000 for the spec its a bargain :D
    I have sent a 32" and a 36" tv back for geometry problems etc, but on a 7ft screen my 7200 takes the p.ss out of the tv's regarding geometry and picture quality even..wait till i get my HCPC together with high def..wohhh..... :smashin:

15. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    This is very interesting..........

So you are saying that your's does not suffer the faults that a couple of reviews mentioned (I'm hoping they were just iffy units)

1: That part of the screen (I think the bottom) was not straight all along the edge, so you had to project some of the rest of the image into black to disguise this.

2: That showing a white screen, the white is not uniform, (bright patches)

3: Light spillage in places around the image.

Sorry for asking, but I could not understand how a unit of this price could have such obvious issues.