Quantcast

Just been on the phone to Richer Sounds

N

NIIK_TT

Apparantly they have a Samsung PLasma for £2300!!!!!!!!

How did they manage this!!!!!!!

Not sure if its the 42 inch one. I am off to have a look at the display quality later today.

I am concerned about the contrast ratio not being very high but intend to do a proper viewing demo later.

England100

Standard Member
It's the PS-42P2S 42" described by RS as a TV but actually just a screen. Not to be confused with the Dixons one for £3k which includes a tuner and speakers - SP-42P2SBX.

RS are including 2 Kef Cresta 1 speakers - TSP £100, actual £50.

We are still waiting for comments from somebody who owns one!

N

NIIK_TT

Here is a review from Znet.co.uk - does sound promising....

VERDICT
The PS-42P2S is a good example of what you can get from a plasma screen, and will serve well as a TV or public presentation display. However, it doesn't distinguish itself particularly from the rest of the market, so shop around.

Review 17 October 2002

The PS-42P2S from Samsung is a 42in. plasma screen designed primarily as a TV, although it can be used as a PC monitor. It's fine for watching movies or other video and viewing larger graphics, but problems matching the resolution of the screen to a mode on a graphics card make it less suitable for text.

N

NIIK_TT

I went and had a demo of the Samsung and I think that after some fidling around with the settings the LG unit is actually more better in terms of definition. I am going to take my DVD of Matrix to test it. The film showing was Shrek so obviously you cant tell much from that.... will keep you informed..

Mr Rob T

Standard Member
Last weekend I saw the LG with tuner box, stand, and speakers in both Currys and Comet at £2999, down from £3999. So maybe RS will be lowering thier price soon

N

NIIK_TT

That is a very attractive price but a stand and tuner box is no use to me.

I intend to hang it on the wall ( £200 for bracket) and use a normal digial decoder or Sky box via an adapter to the plasma ( £150)

Total is about £2850

However if I go curries or comet then its £3200 including wall mount.....

Kirk

Standard Member
Let us know how you get on with your Matrix Demo...I am interested in seeing what people think about these LG & Samsung panels.

Magsy

Standard Member
I saw them both yesterday, ableit in crap conditions.
The LG appreared to have a better black level, looked deep and more flim like to me.
However the Samsung was impressive too it was stood next to a Panny n it didnt look any worse off really...bar the slight 'greying' of blacks and i mean slight.
Resolution wise it looked ok and both lg / sammy were deinterlacing/scaling well, no artifacts. Infact regular analogue tv was looking watchable on them which suprised me.

Need to see them both on a proper source now via some progressive feed.

klnc

I notice that RS are also doing the Pioneer 433HDE model for £4299 which is pretty good, although, I'm only really interested in the MXE model.

Does anyone know if they could source the MXE at a suitably competitive price?

roofer

Novice Member
after looking and weighing up the pros & cons decided to go with the lg plasma from comet, was going to order online cheaper yes but, if any thing goes t*ts up, online retailers are not just around the corner to fix it: as for richer sounds they are the biggest load of hot air i have ever come across?

roofer

Novice Member
2-3 days, got mine delivery & install for £2999 getting it in 2 weeks , having glass stand made to house av gear and to sit the screen on. will post some pics when set up.