Just arrived from 1983- Cabling question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by monty91, Jan 20, 2008.

1. monty91

monty91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I'm finally upgrading my system from my mid 80's Technic SU-V3 amp and Mourdaunt Short MS55Ti speakers. I've just scored a brand new Kef kht3005 package on flea bay for £460, not the SE spec but for that price I'm not complaining. Next I'm looking at an Onkyo TX-SR605. Anyway my question is; I have always worked on the principle that the cabling to all speakers should be of identical length to ensure matched response. Now recievers have auto calibration with the use of a mic, is this still the case or do I not now need to bother. Also looking at my budget from the info above, would some Van Damme Blue cabling do the trick or should I unclench my buttocks and pay a little more than £1.20 a metre ? Cheers Monty

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Have a read through this thread :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690816

It includes the usual 'Oh yes it does ... oh no it doesn't' debate and ends up with some links to some very good cable prices.

In short Van Damme or even cheaper cable will do just fine.

On the cable length issue I don't think it ever did matter as much as we all believed back then so unless you are talking about a large difference I wouldn't be all that concerned.

3. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Wot he said ^^ :)

Distance doesn't matter at all - keep it neat and your fung shui will flow much better :)

Van Damme is as good as you'll ever need, and yes, even cheaper cable will be just fine too - just try to get 2.5mm CSA cable if you possibly can though.