1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just almost had a heart attack

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TeresaTT, Jul 4, 2005.

1. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My son was walking in front of my PWD6 holding a toy when he tripped and whacked the screen with his toy. I thought, oh my God, this is it, where's the number for the insurance company. The picture was still on and I looked closely at the screen to see a few skid marks. I hoped they weren't scratches and used a damp microfiber cloth to polish them off. The marks seemed to flake off but didn't leave any marks behind. I'm wondering what this flakey material could be. Have I lost some of the protective covering on the screen? I can't see any trace of them. Perhaps it wasn't they toy that hit the screen, but just my son's hand covered in whatever a young boys hand might be covered in.

I'm just relieved that my screen survived.

Teresa

2. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If he is a similar age to my kids then I would imagine it was just snot :rotfl:

Sorry, I don't have a sensible answer.

3. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    so the tv is fine what about your kid then :rotfl:

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Teresa TT

If you have removed any of the anti glare coating its most obvious with the screen switched off - you can see quite quickly one area of the screen looking different from the rest.

The Front filter is pretty robust and can be swapped out if required - not a five minute job but also not 'life threatening' as far as the whole Display goes.

Best regards

Joe

PS We've had similar (and worse) incidents over the past Four years; the Power Rangers have accounted for a fair few near misses!!!

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Joe. I can't see any trace of the marks with the screen switched off, I think it's much more likely what BlairOut suggested - snot.

ikon66 - my kid is fine. Unfortunately he has severe learning difficulties and is just like a toddler at seven years old. He's even tottery like a toddler and easily trips. You can barely imagine the sort of destruction he is capable of causing. Now if it was my normal older son, well he knows that it's more than his life is worth.

Teresa

6. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, now I do have a serious suggestion... Have you considered wall mounting? My kids were about 4 & 5 when I first got a plasma and it was the only way I could see it surviving.

Mine's quite high @ about 1.2M to the bottom of the screen and mounted behind a cabinet so it's quite safe from and child/toy interfacing moments :)

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Mine too, is quite high on the wall
    The kids have their own small tv in the same room, at their level, so they never get tempted to "interact" with my plasma.

8. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have considered wall mounting but I can't bear the thought of all the work involved and my husband is very worried about the plasma coming off the wall. I prefer having the screen on a cabinet as access is easier to cabling etc. No matter how carefully I plan things, after a while something always needs changing. I also prefer to have the screen low to prevent neck ache, so it would proably look odd mounted on the wall just behind my cabinet. I realise it's a bit of a risk with my son, but usually he's not too bad. He has our old Loewe Xelos 32" CRT in the conservatory to watch CBeeBies on, but we have to keep an eye on him as he sometimes climbs behind it and could push it off the cabinet.