Just add power or HDbaseT

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by messimagician, Jun 14, 2015.

1. messimagician

messimagician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    So I've just seen these with the new 3g ones out soon that will do 4k resolution.

Hd Anywhere seem to be their UK seller although no prices and you can't buy from their shop, not sure why that is.

HD over ip or HDbaseT??

I'm not sure which is the best way with my install. I am debating between home theatre or sound bar in the living room, I don't really want the other tvs to have sound bars, I would have all my sources under the stairs including an amp if I decided on having full 5.1 system, also I would like to be able to control the amp remotely

I have read that HD over ip is better in that it can play two different audio formats unlike HDbaseT that's limited to just the one, this causes issues with people who have home theatre systems and only stereo in other zones

at the minute i only need two zones but will later want 5 zones

Anyone used these just add power devices and how do they compare to HDbaseT?

2. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hi messimagician,

Both HDanywhere and Just Add Power are separate brands available via our parent company, HD Connectivity Ltd, who owns HDanywhere and is the European partner for Just Add Power.

Just Add Power (HDIP) is a very versatile AV distribution system due to its backbone requirement of an IP network.

It can be used in residential installs all the way to bars, national retailers (it's installed in almost every high street in the UK) to race courses and stadiums. It is not sold directly to the public because it has no native control interface and requires knowledge of networking and control systems to mimic the function of a HDanywhere (HDBT) multiroom system out-of-the box. This should be done by an appropriately trained professional.

The relative ease of HDanywhere and its almost plug and play installation requirement (not including control or cable infrastructure) makes it far better suited for consumers.

This is why you will not see any retail pricing/availability for Just Add Power products.

Technically speaking, the main differences between the two are:
    1. HDIP uses lossless compression (better than Netflix, but similar) to get the picture over the network. HDBT is uncompressed, point-to-point.
    2. With HDBT you're limited to chassis size determining your maximum inputs and outputs. In your case an 8x8 would be required but you have to pay for bays that you might not use. Our Modular system negates this, but it is a professionally installed product only. HDIP on the other hand can expand to any number you want.
    3. HDBT has the bandwidth to deal with UHD resolutions, current gen 2G HDIP does not support this and there is no details on the 3G platform yet.
    4. HDBT can support 10/100 ethernet as well as AV. HDIP can only do AV.
    5. Both support multichannel audio solutions, however, there is dedicated HDIP hardware for this where as HDBT requires solutions to be built in to the install design for optimum performance.
    Regarding 5.1, we've put together a really useful article that explains what you can and can't do with a HDBT system.

http://support.hdconnectivity.com/2013/09/using-multichannel-5-1-7-1-amps-avr-with-a-matrix/

Give me a shout if you need anything more help. Perhaps there is a Just Add Power customer who might want to chime in their opinion of the system.

Dee

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    4K - you have to be very careful with that term!

UHD - which 2160p Sources are you likely wanting to cater for around the house.

Audio Streams - currently no Source can Output multiple streams via HDMI so something further down the signal chain has to 'create' 2.0 from 7.1/5.1 if that is what the Source is Outputting.

HD over LAN - I would keep for Commercial systems unless there was some reason why deploying HDMI over HDBT was going to be a problem.

HDBT is ideal for a residential system and go with a CardFrame matrix and upgrading from two to fives Zones is not an issue.

Audio - will need a bit of planning where you are having different capabilities across your Zones.

Control - should also be factored into the plans, an HDBT matrix with Routed/Broadcast IR may be all you require.

Happy to look over your plans.

Joe

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I probably agree with Joe that HDMI over IP isnt best suited for a domestic environment due to the complexity of the networking involved and that it uses compression which also can lead to lags.

As both Dee and Joe has said there is no way to distribute two different types of audio streams from a source via HDMi.

However if you are centrally locating your AVR then you could connect this to your sources via Coax/Spdif digital audio set as surround and then set HDMI output to Stereo.

Again as above if you need any assistance just drop me a PM