1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just about beaten :( dual MCE output ..

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Dunkwho, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've pulled my htpc experiment from the lounge, its just reached nightmare stage ! :) As a PVR it was working fine, I had a great RGB picture thanks to the vga-rgb cable I've got for my radeon 9600 - the sticking point for me is mirroring the output from the dvi connection to my projector (or using any other method for that matter !).

My jstech rgb-svid convertor won't sink properly to the radeon's rgb output.
    I can't get a mirror of the vga output to work with my dvi-component adaptor - ultramon had a good go but wouldn't mirror the video playback (kinda the main point!)
    I've failed to get a 2nd vga-rgb cable to work on the dvi connection using a dvi-vga adaptor (and anyway would probably hit the non-mirror video playback issue again).
    I've not yet tried a direct vga or hdmi\dvi connection between the pj and computer mainly because I haven't got a suitable cable (and also because I've only got component and s-video cables in the wall right now - I COULD put more in if i get a working solution).

So ... overlays onto one header only seems to be my issue. Is there no solution? How about a 2nd graphics card, would that help? Surely I'm not the only home cinema geek that wants to hook a tv and pj to their media centre to allow daytime watching or evening big-screen-action of the same ... media. Either its a centre ... or not :)

I'd love to hear from anyone with some working solutions.

Duncan

2. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if I've missed the point, but I'm not familiar with the history of this problem, but ...

Wouldn't a VGA splitter do the job? This would just use one output from the graphics card so the video overlay would be output OK. The signal is then split to 2 d-sub connectors; I guess one could feed your custom VGA to RGB-Scart cable and the other could go direct to the PJ.

VGA splitters can be got for as little as £20.

Only remaining problem is then switching res on the graphics card depending on which output you're using. If you can find Powerstrip settings for each of these then you're off and running.

3. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    OK - worth thinking about :)
    Due to the powerstripped timings from my vga socket for the TV (25hz interlaced) I'm not sure how the pj will handle that up the vga socket - it may be fine (it works with the scart input i recall??).

thanks for that ! :smashin:

5. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Rather more positive this week ! :D
    I managed to rescue my MCE install yesterday - even the regular CRT output had died (= forgotten all the required options !) and I was able to check a few basics too. My PJ won't sync to the RGB TV formated VGA signal if plugged straight in to its VGA input, it will sync fine with a full screen image if I put the same signal into the PJ's scart socket. I'm a bit dubious about a vga splitter\doubler working at the strange refresh\resolution required for TV output over RGB - it doesn't seem to work with my jstech box, an RGB scart splitter\doubler might be a better option (if I can find one).

I'm also on the hunt for VRM9 vs VRM7 info - means absolutely nothing to me yet but I have read that dual overlaid outputs on a VRM9 system (MCE) is very difficult\impossible\requires huge CPU power, maybe not so much with a VRM7 based media app.

The PC is back in the lounge, even Mrs Dunkwho has accepted its presence (still needs to be quieter) and started the MCE 2005 training course.

Duncan

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know if you decide to sell your RGB-Scart cable please!

Thanks

Dave

8. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    :) - They're not too tricky to put together with a clear workspace and a steady hand !
    My PC has been through another round of religation\promotion back to the main PVR last week - I'm now using an ati dv-component to feed my PJ and the vga cable to the tv's scart. I've given up on dual outputs at the same time, switching the primary display with powerstrip gives a useable setup ... I just need to get some IR control over the primary switch going, label up a button on the mx700 remote, and have the wallpapers give a quick "press button X to view here" type message to help the flick process go ahead smoothly. I'm thinking about moving to dvi\hmdi now, getting a full screen, clear display on the PJ was more luck than judgement ... 720p & 16:9 enabled on the adaptor's dips, 720p disabled but 1080i enabled in the driver's tick boxes, and 1280x720 res running - pj reports 750p! ??

Duncan

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a go at making my own but I don't have a powerful soldering iron and I don't have anything to hold things together whilst I solder. By the time I've bought the necessary equipment I would have been better off buying from Keene!

Dave