Just a quick miserly rant

B Tank

Established Member
Reaction score
LCD TV's

My first foray into LCD TV's was Hisense. Had to return my first two TV's due to backlight bleed and another backlight uniformity issue. Third TV was great, until after 2 years it started to develop really bad backlight banding. Never ending issues with colour calibration.

Second brand I went with Philips. Generally a very good TV, but has some backlight bleeding that I can fortunately live with. Some faffing around with colour calibration.

Previous generation of TV's included 2 Panasonic Plasma mid range TV's. Zero quality issues, perfect colours, outstanding blacks, fantastic picture quality. Around 6 years old now still going wrong, not a dead or burnt pixel in sight.

Why have LCD's taken over?

Rant over

You can get good LCD TVs, but buying cheap ones isn't going to get you that, you need to spend comparable money to Plasma.

If you want the most Plasma like experience, you need to look at OLED.

LCD TV's

My first foray into LCD TV's was Hisense. Had to return my first two TV's due to backlight bleed and another backlight uniformity issue. Third TV was great, until after 2 years it started to develop really bad backlight banding. Never ending issues with colour calibration.

Second brand I went with Philips. Generally a very good TV, but has some backlight bleeding that I can fortunately live with. Some faffing around with colour calibration.

Previous generation of TV's included 2 Panasonic Plasma mid range TV's. Zero quality issues, perfect colours, outstanding blacks, fantastic picture quality. Around 6 years old now still going wrong, not a dead or burnt pixel in sight.

Why have LCD's taken over?

Rant over

Because Mr & Mrs Punter want an 85 inch 4K HDR TV for £199.99.

Fortunately we still have the OLED option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom