Just a little advice please :)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by clubber, Nov 5, 2005.

1. clubber

clubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, i just want to know is it worth me buying a new PC if i want to play games like Battlefield 2 in a decent resolution? or would it be cheaper to upgrade my current PC which is only 1 year old and working fine.

My current PC :

CPU : Pentium 4 3.0Ghz

Motherboard : click me (too much info to copy n paste on the forum)

Graphics : Video Controller ATI Radeon 9100 IGP

Ram : 2 sticks of 512mb DDR400

It also came with a TV Tuner, Big enough hard drive and a big enough flat screen.

Obviously i'll have to upgrade my graphics card and maybe buy a sound card. Can you guys give me an average price on how much it might cost me to get to play these sort of games?

Do i have enough RAM?

Is a P4 3.0GHz powerfull enough?

Thanks very much.

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Yes, should be fine with an upgrade. I have a P4 2.66 O/C to 3ghz and a 6800GT, have not played Battlefield, but everything else I have tried runs fine at 1280 x 1024 at max settings.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    It will be fine with a gfx card like a 6600\6800.

4. clubber

clubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys but i noticed most of the geforce's are AGP8x, will this work with my mother board?

EDIT: ok i've found out it will work ok.

I've also found a GF 6600 for £129.99 :clap:

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    You may need to check your PSU - these powerful gfx cards burn the juice a bit.

I've read that ATI cards are a bit more power efficient - but that's just what I've read, I can't confirm that to be fact - some googling may be in order.

That said, it does seem the 6600GT is the best bang for buck around at the moment!

6. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    I have 6600GT in my HTPC and a 6800GT in my main pc... To play games smoothly with the 6600GT I have to use a lower resolution and turn the settings down to medium. With the 6800GT, I can play at the highest res my monitor supports (1280 x 1024) and put all the settings on max.

If you can run to it a 6800Gt will give a much better gaming experience.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  7. clubber

clubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just ran a price check for the 6800gt and it seems well out of my price range.

I'm looking for something around £100 really. I was told a 6600GT would play battlefield on max settings?

THIS is the one i was thinking of getting. Seems like a good price and this site is also my local computer store.

Your thoughts?

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Here's a Battlefield 2 benchmark comparison of a few graphics cards, including the 6600GT. I've just upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a 7800GT. The new card will run BF2 at pretty much any setting I like. The 9800 Pro was fine at 1024x768 with medium/high detail. The 6600GT should fall in between these two cards, though more at the lower end I would guess. I don't think it'd run BF2 maxed out, but it'll still run fine & look great.