1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a happy camper thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by meep, Oct 1, 2003.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Every so often, I slip into the trap of taking my CRT for granted.

This weekend, I attended the Hi Fi and AV show at Heathrow. It was mostly Hi Fi and I was mostly interested in audio equipment anyway (speakers, amps etc.) so did not pay that much attention to display devices.

However, a side effect of running around listening was that I was exposed to a wide range of displays in various contexts. Plasma and LCD screens, DLPs, LCDs etc. etc.

Anyway, last night I sat down to watch Season 7 Stargate opener on the big screen (It's back, yipee) so fired up the old Sony. Afterwards, I put on the Paul Simon Live in Paris DVD.

I was immediatly struck by the qiuality of the picture. The crispness and clarity of visual detail was astounding. It's only today, thinking back about it, that I realise I had a recent comparative benchmark in all those displays I say.

I'm re-enthused by CRT. Nothing I saw at the high-end a/v show would make me want to swap my CRT. (Well, maybe I'd like to add the New Pioneer Plasma to my house with it's all digital processing etc, but still it's only one quarter the size of my CRT screen and costs a huge amount more!!).

Just thought I'd share that. Sometimes it takes a good sharp shock to the system to make one realise just how good CRT can be. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peter

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I've only had my 801s a short while, but sometimes I walk into my living room and marvel at the size of the screen.. i try to calculate how many times my old 25" Sony TV would fit in that screen, i would dust off the old telescope required to watch said Sony. Going to some friends houses, I would be staggered at how small their 28" widescreen picture is.
    And then I sit in my living room and watch a nicely transferred movie and be struck at the depth of the blacks, the depth of the image and the sheer magnitude of it all. Peter.. i'm right with you! :D

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Meep had a look at your setup. Very nice! Thinking of going for something similar projector wise. Just wondered about the 1271 (and similar models) ability to switch between 4:3 and 16:9. Have heard there can be difficulties unless you do what it appears you have done: You've got a 16:9 screen. Do you watch any 4:3 content? If so presumably you have to watch it within the 16:9 frame, adding black borders at the sides and concentrating more wear on the centre of your tubes.

I would like to use a 4:3 screen which is vertically maskable for different aspect ratios. Thus using maximum phospor area for 4:3 content (i.e. always filling the width of the screen horizontally) so that would be an 8ft by 6ft screen then (same width as yours but higher). What affected your decision to go the 16:9 route, is it to do with the projector and potential difficulties. Was it on the advice of others?

Otherwise 1271 and similar seem like the type of pj for me.

cosaw

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi COSAW

Set up screen as 16:9 as a compromise really.

I don't watch any 4:3 material. My digibox is set up to widescreen output and I'm quite happy with non widescreen broadcasts being streached horizontally. (I had a widescreen TV before this for many years and got very used to it).

The H3D capture card I now use to get (non DVD) images into my PC and out to the projector has a lot of screen aspect ratio settings. i could use this to confine the bicture to the centre with vertical black bars but I don't go to the trouble as the slightly expanded picture does not bother me.

Of course, with 16:, I know I'm not using the full face of my CRTs as they are 4:3. I'm happy to live with this and have followed various techniques for "pushing" the projector to use as much of the CRT face as is safe.

Indeed, if I were to do it again, I might be tempted to go for a 2.35:1 screen ration. Most of what I watch on the system are movies and in may cases, I still have to live with black bars top and bottom on the picture.

I know this would be an even less intelligent way to use the CRT though but something appeals to me about a 10' wide 2.35:1 screen!

nyway, 16:9 is a good compromise taking in to account CRT 4:3 ratio and the type of content I watch.

Hope that helps

Peter

5. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheers Peter for the info.

I know where you're comming from, and I'd have to suffer the same compromise as I like to see stuff in it's correct aspect ratio even if this is wider than 2.35:1!

I like you would probably only really use 16:9 material like dvd. But I'd like to keep my options open if all of a sudden I start watching loads of 4:3 stuff like old sitcoms and the like. So would also like 4:3 without distortion although I like you have grown used to it with widescreen tellys.

So the content you watch has dictated your choice, which is fair enough.

I know what you're saying it's so cinematic. When widescreen tellys first came out I thought "why aren't they 2.35:1!". :)

On the same account of flashness that's why I'd probably opt for a fixed 4:3 screen with electrically scrolling masking. Home built of course or else what would the price be. Then if I did watch 4:3 I could watch it large! I think there is some debate about how easily sony's 12**s can do this, something about only accepting one aspect ratio when locking on to a particular scan rate from the same source. So this could affect my choice of pj.

Anyway if you really want the 2.35:1 look why not keep your 16:9 and mask it with black scroling borders in a similar manner. Then leave it in 2.35:1 when you want!!

Why does everything have to be a compromise?

Thanks again

cosaw