1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just A Few Questions About Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by betamac, Aug 5, 2003.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am definately going to buy a Panny 6 Series at XMAS

but i have a few questions i cant find answered elsewhere.

1: would a plasma last for long periods of time (say 10 years as a ball park figure) i am currently living at home and see a great chance to get a plasma while i have no bills, i cant see myself buying anouther one when i move out (not for a long time anyway) am i being optimistic to think they can really last a long time?

2: I hear the biggest problem is screen burn, obviously i would be extra careful like not leaving on all the time etc but can screen burn ever be fixed or is it there forever once it occurs?

3: If i have 2 Component Devices EG Gamecube and DVD Player do i need to buy 2 Component video boards?

4: is the Panny 6 a good plasma in terms of future proof, the way i see it as technology progresses you can add new boards for new ways of connecting like DVI for example?

I would really appreciate some help

Thanks in advance

2. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Betemac,

Both those sites mentioned are good, also go to www.avsforum.com (there is a Plasma FAQ which is excellent).

One of the things that you are rightly concerned about is to future proof your investment in a display. In order to do this you are doing the correct thing IMO by looking for a display that has an aspect of input modularity, in that you can remove and insert various inputs depending on your viewing requirments.

One thing you have not mentioned as yet is whether you are considering a standard definition or high definition display, the former having a reolution of 852 x 480 Pixels, the latter having 1024 x 768 pixels (- or more !).The reason I point this out is the fact that you are looking at the display as a long term investment, ie 10 or so years.

Standard definition panels will all ready downscale normal TV broadcasts to fit their resolution (ie 576 lines down to 480 lines) , and as resolution of content increases the downscaling will be more so.HD Content (currently - 720 lines displayed progressivly/1080 lines displayed in Interlaced manner) will be freely available in that time.

In fact it is available now if you want it (HD Video, Certain DVD's) and is broadcast in the U.S at 720p & 1080i. Also in Europe as of the 1st January 2004, you can subscribe, should you wish, to Europes first HD broadcast channel. If you look at another UK forum members are actually commenting on films that thay have watched such as Gladiator that are in High Definition (HD Video 1080i) in their home set ups!.

I honestly think you need to factor this in to your decision given what you have outlined.

So IMHO look for a panel with flexible array of inputs, but also the native resolution to display as much future content as possible. With this in mind the Panasonic 42 Inch TH-42PHD6, should be released around the time you look to purchase, or the new Generation 43 Inch Pioneer PDP434-HDE is also imminent (the latter of which I am not sure of its modularity, however it will offer a variety of input formats).

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TBrar great advice,

do you have any idea as to the rough price of the HD Panny 6 modles? are we talking £500 more or over £1000?

5. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Betamac,

I believe the suggested retail price will be $6999.00.

Tony