Just a few more from the same old places

denno75uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
.....ie the canal and country park down the road and my living room. I'm not a sad recluse (just yet), there's just not been much opportunity to get out and about anywhere more interesting recently, so it's a case of making the most of what there is.
When I go down the canal I'm tending to use just one lens. Last time out it was the Sigma's turn. This time I took the Tamron and the Canon (both in my sig). The plan was to use the Canon more and see what I could get out of it with my greater knowledge these days, but I just couldn't tear the Tamron of the 30D. Ever since I got it I've just fallen in love. So long as I remember what I'm doing, it's so reliable. And IMO not too far off a macro lens. I think official figures are a min focus distance of 27cm, but I swear at times it feels I can get alot closer.
Anyway, I digress. Have a butchers and let me know what you think. Though none are particularly interesting:rolleyes:, all should be clickable to the flickr photo page. Sometimes worth looking at the original size to appreciate the detail the Tamron/30D combo can resolve.

1. BW stickybobs. Well that's what we calles 'em as kids. Don't know what they are really called.

2. Phallic buds

3. A mooring of one of the many boats down at Woodlesford Lock

4 & 5. Cape and Kain. They got their knackers chopped off on Fri, but bless 'em, they don't seem at all disturbed by it.

6. A rhododendron bud at Temple Newsam (ok so I did get out somewhere else). A bit of a nothing shot, but I love the DOF and bokeh. This one with the Sigma.

Noticing I'm shooting alot wide open for the DOF. Feels like cheating/lazy at times as I feel it gives the photo something that helps gloss over a rather uninteresting subject/composition. So with this in mind, any C&C is very welcome.

Ta.

I haven't been out with camera much lately myself, and not been on here much due to broadband issues, but hopefully sorted now, although my recent outing was a bit lacklustre..

Like the shapes of the stickybobs, and the contrast against the sky.

Not sure about the buds as a flower type shot, but it's certainly an interesting shape !

Really like the composition of the boat, and also the fact that you can make out another boat in the distance.

Both cat shots are great - I've commented on your flickr before about your cat shots - mine never come out any near that good.

Agree, like the DOF on the last one, on the front and the back.

#3's a cracker and I like the way you've got both cats into very similar positions :thumbsup: The first one is a bit weak for me but otherwise a good bunch of pictures :smashin:

I like the stickybobs shot a lot. And I like the shallow dof in these. Great portraits of the cats esp the iris detail and angle of the eye in the second. I like how they match too. Nah they're not traumatised in the least... just both staring into space in the same fixed pose... 'stiff upper lip old boys'. I'm sure they took it on the chin and won't claw you in your sleep. ha ha! ;)

I like the stickybobs shot a lot. And I like the shallow dof in these. Great portraits of the cats esp the iris detail and angle of the eye in the second. I like how they match too. Nah they're not traumatised in the least... just both staring into space in the same fixed pose... 'stiff upper lip old boys'. I'm sure they took it on the chin and won't claw you in your sleep. ha ha! ;)

Cheers. As the cats aren't allowed out at the mo'(roll on March) I'm incredibly limited with photo ops for them. And light is another limiting factor. I have to wait til they go to the window and just follow them with the camera until they 'strike a pose'. I've tried coercing them, but like most cats, they're utterly unco-operative.

Thanks for the comments guys. Personally I also like the stickybob shot and the mooring.

My cats have been indoors for 6 months now - they're older though, 7 or 8 yrs. Planning to install a flap in the back door next month. Hopefully the stair carpet will last until then! Outside I'll probably struggle to get photos of them as they'll have their own plans like hunting and scrapping.

I find them a lot easier to photo indoors with a speedlite, bounced off the ceiling.

You can lie down on the floor at their level and get some really nice angles, and not have to worry about the right natural light from windows.

Here's an example at 50mm, f/1.4, 1/160, ISO200, with a 580EX bounced straight up at the ceiling.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom