Just A Curiosity people

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by pscamm, Aug 16, 2006.

1. pscamm

pscamm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if you can get a freeview box with component outputs ???? if not then what is the best quality output you can expect besides scart connections...I would feed it into my projector if a good enough quality output could be atchieved

:)

cheers all
    Paul

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The Topfield PVR (via the scart) and maybe one or two others output component but AFAIK it is interlaced and probably does not represent a PQ improvement over RGB. I use it on one of my systems (see system 2 in my sig) because the 'TV' is a monitor with component but no Scarts.

Richard

3. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Pscamm,

Component output is the raw output from a DVD player.
    Any other source having Component output has got this output by conversion, so you would be generally better off with RGB output for unaltered quality.
    As long as you have RGB input on your Projector this will give an excellent picture from SKY, Freeview etc.
    Use Component input for DVD for best quality from this source.

Regards
    knotpc

4. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    If it is Component that you need and RGB won't do you could look at the Netgem iPlayer.

Alternatively there are one or two DVD Recorders with built in Freeview from Panasonic and Humax that I think do this.

You can buy a separate RGB to component converter box if its really important. Keene Electronics or maybe QED.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    And just to re-affirm; there is no appreciable difference in quality between RGB and Component. Component isn't "intrinsically" better, or worse, than RGB. And, actually, converting between the two if necessary isn't bound to degrade the signal to any meaningful degree (assuming it's done with a half-decent converter).

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    In this thread every use of the term "component" has obviously been referring to YPbPr.
    Technically speaking RGB is itself also a form of component video.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    because, whilst what you say is entirely true, in "popular" terminology (which includes labelling of equipment and references in manuals and specifications), that is what the term "component" means. In the same "popular" terminology, "component" does NOT (rightly or wrongly) include RGB nor SVideo nor anything else.

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Yes it has just become common usage to only refer to YPbPr as component of course. At least on this forum people spell component correctly. :D

9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Noted.
    It seems that the USA lead misuse of the terminology has, for the most part, caught on then.
    (and we similarly seem to use the term the same way in our datasheets and technical documents for our ICs at work now too).
    I'll have to admit to losing the fight and thus move with the times:thumbsdow

Chris Muriel, (Senior Analog Devices Central Applications Engineer) Manchester

10. pscamm

pscamm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for enlightening me, im assuming the term 'RGB' is refering to an RGB enabled scart ?? (correct me if im wrong, im pretty new to all this stuff).
    My projector has the following connection types : (except for a DVI which is hooked to DVD player) there is component (RCA YPbPr), BNC (YPbPr/RGBHV), RS-232, S-Video and Composite. In you guy's superior experience, how would you hook up a freeview box for best pic quality.

Your all great, Cheers

Regards
    Paul

11. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    You should be able to get RGBHV from SCART with the right kind of splitter.

12. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    All I will say is that the iPlayer+ has an explicit Component output setting. I believe you would need a (mechanical) adapter and the right cables to connect it through the TV Scart with your projector.

13. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    The projector might be able to accept the RGB from the SCART with an appropriate SCART to BNC cable if the proj can accept 'sync on green' also known as RGsB. It will also need to accept a sync signal lower than TTL level - some display devices that can accept sync on grren need a TTL level sync signal that most SCART RGB outputs can't provide.

SCART to component cable (rare but available) with separate phono to BNC adapters will do, too.

I think SCART RGB does actually contain 'sync on green' - its just that no one ever refers to it that way.

14. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    That's a little misleading. You can get a Scart to RGB "breakout" cable. You can't get a Scart to "component" cable. You'd need an electronic adapter to achieve that conversion.

15. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have Topfield which is hooked up to my PV500 to enable use by the RGB or Component via scart. To my eyes there is JUST about a perceivable difference. I cant say one is really better than the other its just somehow minutely different.

16. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    That's interesting. How does the iPlayer+ output component through Scart then?

17. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    You're right.

To the uninitiated (like I was a couple of years ago) this could sound like its all you need.

What the OP could maybe get away with a a SCART to 3 phono cable. Not the usual sort that gives Composite (yellow) and L&R audio (Red & White) but one that breaks out the RGB pins to 3 phono plugs (Red Green and Blue). Then use BNC adapters and hope that the Proj will accept sync on green at the level the box outputs the sysnc on green.

The same cable would be used on a box that provides Component (YPbPr) out of a SCART socket, but it would carry a different type of signal.

18. 1st Digital

1st Digital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Most Comercial Rigs (pubs/clubs) I Have Encountered This Problem And There Is A Lacking Of Outputs On Most High Street Equipment However We Overcome This By Connecting The Freeview To A VCR Utilising The RGB Via Scart Then Using Not Only The Composite (Video) Only But The Audio L & R

The Best Form Off Connection If You Wanted To Take Advantage Of RGB Is to Upgrade The VCR With A S-Video Output, Again You Would Need Audio Out L & R But Is A Prefered Connection Off Mine When Scard IS NOT Availible

Short for Super-Video, a technology for transmitting video signals over a cable by dividing the video information into two separate signals: one for color (chrominance), and the other for brightness (luminance). When sent to a television, this produces sharper images than composite video , where the video information is transmitted as a single signal over one wire. This is because televisions are designed to display separate Luminance (Y) and Chrominance (C) signals. (The terms Y/C video and S-Video are the same.)

19. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Scart to component cables (which AFAIK) are wired the same as Scart to RGB will as you say not convert an ordinary scart output to component. There are however one or two STBs/PVRs (e.g. The Topfield) which do output Component through the Scart so in those cases all you need is the cable.

Richard

20. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Isn't the above a last resort, given the inferior quality of composite? Pubs and Clubs are likely to have huge screens too, where the quality of the incoming signal (I am guessing) is even more important.