Just a couple of questions for a newbie ?

M

mogwai

I've done a bit of research but information seems to be a bit thin on the ground even from the manafacturers :

Will most DV Camcorders allow you to record still pictures to tape and if so are there normally limits as to how many pictures you can fit per tape ? I know that there are some units that now come with Flash memory cards but whats the point if you've got gigs worth of tape to store images on.

Can you get flash modules for DV cams so the still capabilities can be used in low light situations.

Can anyone give me some rought ideas at to which cameras I should be considering if i'm wanting the following specs :

Digitial Still camera at 640x480 +
Still picture to Tape capability
Analog Line In (for digitising from an analog source)
A Night Light\flash shoe ablilty would be nice
A miniDV solution would be ideal as i'll be travelling in Thailand and am going to need to keep the thing on me all the time.
A JVC solution would be best since i work for their Australian distributor.

anyway thanks for any information.

Originally posted by mogwai
I've done a bit of research but information seems to be a bit thin on the ground even from the manafacturers :

Will most DV Camcorders allow you to record still pictures to tape and if so are there normally limits as to how many pictures you can fit per tape ? I know that there are some units that now come with Flash memory cards but whats the point if you've got gigs worth of tape to store images on.

Lots! Not too helpful I know, but on a 60min tape, it could be 500 or so. has anyone ever tried filling up a DV tape with just stills? I doubt it! Flash memory cards will give you better quality stills than direct to tape. No, not all dv cams have this feature.

Can you get flash modules for DV cams so the still capabilities can be used in low light situations.

Yes

Can anyone give me some rought ideas at to which cameras I should be considering if i'm wanting the following specs :

Digitial Still camera at 640x480 +
Still picture to Tape capability
Analog Line In (for digitising from an analog source)
A Night Light\flash shoe ablilty would be nice
A miniDV solution would be ideal as i'll be travelling in Thailand and am going to need to keep the thing on me all the time.
A JVC solution would be best since i work for their Australian distributor.

anyway thanks for any information.

What budget?

Well, I got the manual out for my cam, (Panny MX300B) to see how long a still is captured on the tape. It's 7secs, which equates to 520 on a 60min tape. Not a bad guess at 500 eh?:)
Camcorder specs change from country to country, so I'm afraid you'll need to do more home based homework to be sure of what you're buying.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom