Jurassic World Dominion Movie IMAX Review & Comments

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
First time I’ve not seen a Jurassic film opening day. Fallen Kingdom was the final straw. If it wasn’t for the missus wanting to see it I probably wouldn’t be bothering at all and we’re certainly not bothering with imax.

We've been watching the cast talk up the film on daytime TV all week & have 3D-IMAX tickets for next week.
I'm going to try not to be disappointed, but it might be tough given the expectations the cast are giving us. They're claiming it's action-packed throughout & Pratt went on a late show talking about how the guy who got eaten by a dino in the beginning is a contest winner.
He didn't even come in, it was all done greenscreen.

Nice review Mark, and it sounds as disappointing as feared. I honestly don't expect every new blockbuster to be Top Gun levels of greatness, but this sounds unfortunately like an easy pass. With my nearest cinema a fair drive, and ever increasing fuel prices make things more of a consideration.

Soulless and bears almost no resemblance to the original Jurassic Park. Shares more DNA with a Fast and the Furious sequel than JP. No tension, goes through the motions from set-piece to set-piece without any of the awe and spectacle that made the original so great.

Some of the CG was excellent, but there were some particularly bad effects on show too - especially anything involving Blue (the velociraptor), some of which looked like it was from an early-2000s PlayStation game. You wonder how it passed quality control.

4.5/10

^they certainly don’t have the excuse of not having the time to polish the effects.

Apparently they invented a new fictional species for the film, a dinosaur with feathers that is exceptionally dangerous.

im getting sick of films with 80% CGI this is a hard pass for me will watch it on netflix or something

Yeah, when I watch The Hobbit I feel like I'm watching a cartoon instead of real actors, oddly UHD & HDR makes it worse.

Not surprised about the score. I think they've gone to the well way too many times in this franchise. When the trailer aired in the theater before Top Gun Maverick, there were a number of groans and "oh brothers" in the audience...

Nice review Mark, and it sounds as disappointing as feared. I honestly don't expect every new blockbuster to be Top Gun levels of greatness, but this sounds unfortunately like an easy pass. With my nearest cinema a fair drive, and ever increasing fuel prices make things more of a consideration.
i spent £55 on fuel to go see TopGun2. WOrth every penny. Looks like im saving a few quid on JWD n seeing it locally.

Just on way home from watching at Odeon Norwich IMAX. Meh at best tbh. Same old same old.

The worst film I've seen since the Matrix in December. Cancelled my 4k blu ray preorder.

They absolutely ripped the arse out of that locust plot. Holy moly. I came to watch a film about Dinosaurs no f***ing locusts. I think they had more screen time than the Giganotosaurus they've been raving about for a year. I'd give it a 5 only for Jeff Goldblum and his hilarious ad libs.

and Chris Pratt and that bloody hand. Kept hoping a dinosaur would bite it off 😂.

🤣 Nothing to see here!

Screenshot_20220611-001443_Chrome.jpg

Pratt & Opie's daughter have been attending interviews with Goldblum, but the original cast are not being seen in these talk show interviews.

guy on the right was Opie, Richie Cunningham, & his brother was multiple roles in Star Trek:

1654903094902.png

Any Film released in the next few years (and probably way beyond) is really going to struggle to have any sort of impact after the totally awesome spectacle that is Top Gun Maverick.

A benchmark in how a blockbuster should be done.

I'll be brief.
  • I don't care about the 'franchise'. Don't care what they do with it beyond making big-budget, splody-bang-bang dinosaur movies, which they continue to do well
  • This means I can't see the 'ruining' of the franchise these recent entries are claimed to be. I just don't see that at all. Jurassic Park was only a 'thing' because of its groundbreaking special effects — it's not a great film beyond that
  • The sequels to the first Jurassic Park film (2 and 3) were truly terrible. And by that I mean they failed at providing basic big-budget dinothrills. So this franchise has already been 'bad' for a long time
  • Jurassic World was okay as far as big-budget dinosaur movies go, but it wasn't some restoration to greatness. That greatness was never there in the first place
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom was perfectly enjoyable. Critics slated it. I, as someone who would jump in specifically to see dinosaurs doing dinosaur things, got what I paid for
I'm not usually in the 'for god's sake just switch off for a couple of hours' camp. Mainly because this is rarely possible. But for these movies I feel like 'for god's sake, switch off for a couple of hours' — it's a special effects vehicle for dinosaurs.

These films are easy to enjoy if you don't expect more than daft, explody escapism. I haven't seen this one yet, but Fallen Kingdom drew the same criticisms and the same scores, and I had zero issues with it.

Last edited:
Hmm, without seeing it and with all the (sadly) negative comments here, and elsewhere, I think I will wait for the blu-ray when it ends up in cex or cheap on eBay.

Terrible reviews all over, definitely a pass until it arrives on Netflix some day

Sounds rubbish, I will wait to see it on tv in a couple of years

I don't doubt that this is rubbish as the previous two were also poor, but the increase in the amount of Jeff makes it more appealing than maybe it should be.

Jeff's interview on the Kermode and Mayo podcast was truly a delight. The man is in a world all of his own and he is surely at national treasure level now.

Enjoyed that review, cheers.
Similar to slinkywizard, this franchise isn't sacred to me. Neither is Star Wars as I grew up in between those movies. Die hard and Terminator are some of my sacred ones.
So not too bothered but what is disappointing is I hear, from the screenrant review mainly, that a lot of the stuff in the trailer is misleading and that the storyline of the world being overrun by dinos hardly features. Was really looking forward to that aspect.

I’ll probably look to see this with my kids towards the latter stage of its run. A little disappointed with how poor it’s supposed to be. Then again, I don’t mind Fallen Kingdom!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom