Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by adamhamilton, May 8, 2001.

1. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which region is best for
    a) Jurassic Park DVD
    b) the boxed set of JP + The Lost World

Thanks.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Adam,

Go for the Region 1 edition, as it has DTS sound, as well as a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, and you can choose between a 4:3 version of the movie, or the superior Widescreen editions.

As far as I know, the extras are the same.

Pooch

3. Accident Man

Accident Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Slightly misleading there from Pooch, as an owner of the dts Region 1 Jurassic Park, I can say the following of it. It has a 1:85 aspect ratio, there is no pan/scan on this disc. Pan/scan specific versions of JP/LW are available on Region 1 but not with dts tracks. Soundtrack wise its DD5.1 or dts5.1 not both. There are extras missing from the dts disc. Unless you really want a dts soundtrack I would go for the Region 2 discs. I have heard the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track runs the dts pretty close, not had the chance to compare myself. If you are a diehard collector the Region 1 Limited Edition 4 disc box set is probably for you. Is "only" Dolby Digital 5.1 though....

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: Accident Man ]

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For once, I prefer the DD soundtrack to the DTS, which seriously is lacking in bass. I believe there is going to be a reissue (with the bass 'problem' rectified.

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black 5,

If you have the DTS version try this:

Increase the LFE of your Amp to +10 above what it is. Some Amps (Yamaha inclusive) come preconfigured as set for DTS Audio discs which is 10db lower than DTS DVD Films.

I found that my DTS JP was poor until I found this out. Increasing the the Amp by +10 resolved it. Its well known on the AVS Forum that the low frequencies are recorded identically across the two DVDs but the mistake is often made in this regard.

Give it a try.

Regards Neil.

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black 5,

If you have the DTS version try this:

Increase the LFE of your Amp to +10 above what it is. Some Amps (Yamaha inclusive) come preconfigured as set for DTS Audio discs which is 10db lower than DTS DVD Films.

I found that my DTS JP was poor until I found this out. Increasing the the Amp by +10 resolved it. Its well known on the AVS Forum that the low frequencies are recorded identically across the two DVDs but the mistake is often made in this regard.

Give it a try.

Regards Neil.

7. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jenz,

Thanks, I will try what you say and report back. My processor isn't configured as you describe and performs well with other DTS discs, but this movie's not the same without you can feel those little footsteps :)