1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jurassic park speech problems. help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by karkus30, Jul 4, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Played JP last night. Switched to THX 5.1 as usual. The dialogue was pretty poor, almost distorted, I have noticed this on other films, but not as much.

Also, even with the SVS sub in circuit, the dinosaur tremor scene just didnt seem to have much impact. OK ish but not earth shattering.

Its a while since I last viewed this DVD and cant remember it sounding so weak and lifeless. The vocals were so thin, almost fragile, like they were distorting and breaking up.

I really need the dialogue on any film to be as clear as possible.

Whats going wrong here ??

The soundtrack ? DVD player? Speaker setting on amp ? (set to small Im using a triple pack of MS CS1 cinema speakers). This is not the same with all films, Gladiator in DTS the night before sounded OK, but most dialogue by Russell Crowe was very average (particularly the opening battle scene "on my command...etc"), Amelie sounded OK.

I remember having a similar problem with Star Wars remastered VHS video through prologic Yamaha amp and using one of the CS1s as a centre speaker.

The CS1s are due to be replaced with 3 Neat Critiques very soon, but Im not sure this will solve the dialogue problem.

Any tips ??

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is either the DVD itself or it sounds like two problems and not one. I doubt whether the clarity of dialogue and the lack of thump from Mr T Rex are the same problem.

Try the bassy bits on the films that you were demonstrating to half of Darlington last week and see if you are still happy with them. Likewise try the dialogue on another film - but I'm sure that you know that already.

I watched Welcome to Collinwood last night and the soundtrack on that is pretty poor. Much of it is muffled and lacking dynamics but that was just a poorly recorded disc. Great film though.

Edit - Let me know when your new speakers arrive as I will lend you my copy of Drumline which sorts the men from the boys.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Ian, thanks for the reply. I think it really boils down to a badly recorded disc, but when you have no comparisons ........

Are your front speakers set small or large ??

Not heard of drumline. DVD or CD ? Sound intriguing. Should have the third Critique next week.

4. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Which region is your JP disc? If R2, then it's likely to be the disc as I had the same problem (no bass) and changed to a R1 version.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Small, but all M&K speakers are officially only rated down to 80Hz

For Drumline have a look at this thread

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    oohh, can I start my greatest drummer thread down here as well ?? :rolleyes:

I would imagine the final battle is the one to listen too.

Right Im off to do the Ice Age glacier splitting bit and Nemo........The fishtank :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: