Jurassic Park, Region 1 DTS - Demo no more

Shenoizy

Novice Member
I recently 'sold' my VHS copies of Jurassic Park 1 & 2 and replaced them with the Region 1 DTS DVD versions. Having read some of the reviews of this classic DTS film I was looking forward to hearing the splendor of the first film.

Having watched it, however, I was a little disappointed. Maybe it's because the film is over 13 years old but despite the reviews claiming thunderous bass and amazing surround steering, it wasn't as impressive as I thought it might be.

The difference between JP1 and JP2 is evident in the sound department with much more sound presence and lower bass. I've watched Fellowship Of The Ring and Dead Mans Chest in the last couple of days and they simply blow the Jurassic Park sound away.

Does anybody else think that Jurassic Park is not as good a demonstration disc as it used to be?

jasonx2001

Novice Member
Go here: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/jurassicpark.html and scroll to the bottom.

The first pressings of the DTS DVD of Jurassic Park were defective, the difference especially apparent in LFE (Bass).

I have been trying to import the DTS version at a decent price but am wary because of this problem and the fact the only way to conclusively tell if it is defective or not is by looking at the inner ring of the disc itself.

figrin_dan

Try setting your amp to 'small speakers' at the front and send all bass to the sub. Apparently this was the way the original US JP dvd dts was designed.

BillSykes

Standard Member
Surely the Jurassic Park demo dts disk is the japanese superbit edition?:confused:

I have this and it definately has the ":eek: WOW:eek: " factor

Marv

I have both the R1 dts and the Superbit. The Superbit has a different mix and is way better, still holds up.

Stick the R1 dts in your pc and check the date of the vob files. u'll know if u've got a faulty one then. I got my R1 dts about 1 1/2 yrs ago and it was fine, so cant see ures being messed up.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Heh. The dts laserdisc has superb sound - it makes the Dolby Digital DVD sound weak and anaemic. I've wanted to hear the dts DVD version, but with a possible HD release surely not too far away I won't bother.

benmbe

Heh. The dts laserdisc has superb sound - it makes the Dolby Digital DVD sound weak and anaemic. I've wanted to hear the dts DVD version, but with a possible HD release surely not too far away I won't bother.

Hello there,

Just read your reply about the Laserdisc DTS version of Jurassic park, i have the Laserdisc AC-3 and DTS versions and compared these to the DVD and they both outshine in sound quality against the DVD version of which i also have.

The thunderous base makes me laugh and have to turn down the volume because this shakes the room ''great experience''

Genuine regards

:arty: :arty: :r1: :dd: :dts: