Jurassic Park III 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in '4K Ultra HD Blu-rays' started by Phil Hinton, May 31, 2018.

1. Simon Crust

Simon Crust
      Movies Review Co-ordinator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,370
    2. markant

markant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Hi Simon,

Thanks for the great review. Unsurprisingly for a Universal release (generally the most variable studio in terms of quality IMO from Blu Ray to UHD), this entire set appears to have drawn a tremendous amount of mixed opinion, from different reviews / reviewers in terms of picture quality on the first 3 titles - but as a whole it has been JP III that seems to have attracted the most negativity.

Some have said it's actually from an older 2K source, upscaled, some have just said it's a poor transfer regardless of tech used. Could I ask what your source is for the comment "has been recently scanned to a 4K DI" as if this is true (and i've no reason to doubt) and is a 4K scan to a 4K DI then the picture is as good as it gets and any issues commented on elsewhere must be entirely source related.

Many thanks

M

3. lgans316

lgans316

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,599
      Picture continues to impress? Seriously?

I think Lost World offers the best picture followed by JP.

JP3 must be recalled.

4. JohnnyVertigo

JohnnyVertigo
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      There's no way it's based on a new scan. It's ugly transfer with just a few really okay (and only okay) shots, flat colors and phoned in HDR.

Yuck.

5. gadget man

gadget man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +53
      Not moved to 4k at the moment this is the reason why, all reviews are not consistent this is the best review i have read for this title. All other sites and youtube give this no better than a blu-ray even saying mixed the discs up. I am sitting on the fence and will stick with my plasma TV the film companies are not making the effort, most titles will be released again with Dolby Vision and more effort made.

6. lgans316

lgans316

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,599
      You have to kind and forgiving to add JP3 to your collection. I would rank this as the worst UHD disc out there for PQ (yeah I don't own a 4K TV but come on, the detail is barely 1080p).

7. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +786
      haven't got to this one yet, but surely its not WORSE than the BD? I can't think of any UHDs I own which are worse than the BD, maybe only a teeny bit better than the BD, but not worse.
      Even the first Bourne is about the same, and Oblivion may not be as (artificially) sharp as the BD, but the HDR is great in Oblivion (plus the improved soundtrack)
      So is the detail really that bad? (if you are saying barely 1080p, that sounds to me like its not as good as the BD???)
      I know with lots of UHDs, its a nominal upgrade sometimes from the BD, but in all the ones I have watched I've yet to see one that i didn't think had SOME improvement on the BD (yes, even Bourne Identity)

8. markant

markant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Most of the reviews on this title have said that the improvements, however slight, over BD are to do with the HDR, therefore if it's being evaluated with non-HDR / 4K equipment (and especially if not calibrated to any degree), it's no wonder there's massive differences of opinion.

M

9. gadget man

gadget man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +53
      the cost of UHD are expensive i expect a huge upgrade with picture quality not a slight increase. Diminishing returns me thinks now. Yes some titles are huge improvements but overall every title should benefit otherwise why upgrade. How many here will pay £50 for this boxset i mean come on only lost world is getting decent reviews and it's a crap sequel.

10. JohnnyVertigo

JohnnyVertigo
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      It's definitely better than BD, but it doesn't look like a 4K remaster of 35 mm film, because it's not.

11. markant

markant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Your quite right to expect that and as the home display technology improves, so does the marketing hype. Unfortunately we have reached a point where 4K can display almost any 35mm based source with pristine, source identical, clarity, but...

It depends on the current quality / condition of source materials

If it had a non-4K digital intermediate master (most films between 2002 to 2018) then the source is limited to 2K at best, so the majority of improvement will be HDR & Atmos/X. (Just wait until Lord of the Rings / Hobbit gets released on 4K & watch the complaints!)

If it had any kind of CGI work, the way this was processed in the 1990's and early 2000's means quality of these scenes is likely affected negatively.

JP III had no DI (to my knowledge) and therefore should be able to have a fairly flawless 4K scan from the OCN, with the proviso that the early CGI may affect those scenes.

Quite why it doesn't is a question for Universal...

M

12. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +640
      A truly murky affair. PQ aside, the biggest thing that killed this film from being more liked was Téa Leoni. Her characters' continual screeching for things to be in line with her A personality bitch wants really dragged it down. In fact, I left the cinema wondering how Duchovny puts up with her in real life!

13. lgans316

lgans316

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,599