1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jurassic Park DTS. Sound problem?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Oct 6, 2000.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Aparantly the DTS disc does seem to be lacking something.

but one site www.dvdangle.com seems to think that it might be down to the fact that we are expecting too much from it.

It was the first ever DTS title and there are rumours that its the DD track that has been remastered whilst the DTS remains the same as years ago. This may be the problem, but it has not been confirmed and does seem a little unlikely.

I have seen the DTS LD of JP and was very impressed at the time and remember some scenes were truly excellent, but this was about 3 years back and so things have changed.

------------------

"How could this happen? We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended up in tragedy."

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read a couple of things about this and most reckon that the review that makes out there is very little rear speaker action was down to faulty discs (like Leon), but they are not sure if this will affect ALL the DTS discs.

I am waiting to find out before I order mine.

------------------
    " Sunset's are beautiful, new born babies are beautiful, this....this is fuc*ing spectacular!"

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

3. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard the DTS Jurassic park and it sounds fine. The T REX bit has rain and thunder coming from the rear channels, for example.

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as I said, mines on the way. I'll let ya'll know when it gets here.
    Kepping my fingers crossed!!

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm the rumours that the DTS version has a sound problem similar to Leon: international version? I've heard that there is a lack of surround info. Actually tried to cancel mine at Box Office until this was clarified, but got a 'shipped'invoice this morning.
    -----------------------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not heard anything about that in various reviews

(Widescreen Review, DVD File)

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 06-10-2000).]

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    This from WWW.DVDFILE.COM

In addition, separate DTS widescreen editions of Jurassic Park and The Lost World will also be released concurrent with the Dolby Digital release. While there's no argument that the Dolby Digital version of JURASSIC PARK is superb but I was pleased to find that the DTS release of the film on DVD is even better. With a fuller, more lush sound, improved imaging, tighter bass and more articulated fine detail, the DTS edition of JURASSIC PARK edges out the Dolby Digital in a head to head comparison. A good example is Chapter 7, which reveals the improvements in imaging early on as the cow is hoisted aslunch for the raptors. Listening to the DTS version, the cow's movement was very precise between speakers. The same scene with the Dolby contained sound not totally committed to either the front or rear right channels and instead sort of "ping-ponging" between them.

Another scene for easy comparison was chapter 16, with John Williams' score being much more three-dimensional in the DTS rendering. As the lights come on one by one, the music swells filling the room and enveloping the listener with sound that seems to be coming from everywhere, yet no where specific. When compared with the DTS, the Dolby handling of the same section sounded more front heavy with sound pushed further outside of the listening area. The DTS 5.1 soundtrack, encoded at 754kbps, is the victor in the head to head comparison here.

------------------

"How could this happen? We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended up in tragedy."

8. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will R2 get DTS versions of both as it looks like we are only going to get DD on R4 in Australia. I don't want to buy R1 as Pal discs are much better picture quality than NTSC

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD's are neither Pal or NTSC. I know this sounds confusing and even wrong but you have to trust me on this due to some very detailed info that I got from Mr.D in the "Pal vs NTSC again" thread posted on the 19.09.2000. Try selecting Pal as your players colour output and spin an R1 disc(NTSC according to the packaging) and I think that you will find it will play back perfectly in glorious Pal, also as good as any R4 "Pal" discs. Try it and see. It worked for me. [​IMG]
    P.S I am also in Australia. Where abouts are you? I'm in Brisbane.

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Just started to watch my DTS copy and have to say whilst the DTS sound does not seem as good as that of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, I think this is more down to the age of the actuall age of the soundtrack rather than the mixing of the it.

The bass is good and whilst rear effects may be lacking this seems more to do with the scene not having any. Lots of films seem to have the rear effects exagerated to make them seem more in your face.

It sounds as good as I rememember the LD to sound from a few years back

Also what did u mean about the setting of the speakers ? I have all mine set as small so that ALL bass goes to the SUB.

I may try setting them as LARGE and sending the BASS to the FRONT and the SUB

------------------

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically there is word going around that whilst the soundtrack is OK it is still not encoded correctly.

It is therefore not the triumphant DTS track people expected. The viewpoints are split, some sites rate it average some say it above average.

In the DVD File forum there is a dialog from a poster called Tyler Durden who states that DTS are to issue an announcement. That was yesterday and no announcement has been made.

What is clear is many people have their Bass Management incorrectly set up whereby the Bass is being lost due to their speakers not being Full Response. If you feel that Bass (not LFE) is lacking switch all speakers to a Small Setting on your Amp.

Several of my colleagues have found this makes a massive difference. Also check out Stuart Wrights exemplary Bass/Subwoofer Setup document on HCCO Articles.
    ------------------
    neil@dvd-debate.com

[This message has been edited by Neil @ DVD Debate (edited 11-10-2000).]

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

If you det the speakers to large and they are not full Bass Response you'll find that Bass is considerably weaker.

------------------
    neil@dvd-debate.com

13. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've watched my copy twice, once vaguely n'sync with the DTS LD. The LD has more bass, otherwise it seems quite similar. The sound is pretty good, above average, but not excellent. The picture quality is a few notches down though. The blues in the sky looks washed out in some scenes. The greens in the forests look oddly wrong at times. There are edge enhancement shadows visable, frequently. Stille, it looks quite a bit better than the LDs. But, the picture quality is average at best for DVD. Unlike Richard A.'s character in the film who repeated says, I, "spared no expense", obviously Universal did not. Or, maybe they put too much work into all those versions, and should of made one good one. I hope LOST WORLD DTS is better, it's next up. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!