1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jurassic Hell?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk, Oct 14, 2000.

1. Dirk

Dirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the region 2 version of Jurassic Park. Can't say that I'm happy with it.

It is said that region 2 dvd's get a worse encoding treatment than region 1 dvs's. In most cases, this is true, but for very big productions like Aliens, Jaws and Jurassic Park, this is not true. I heard the region 1 dd mix of Jurassic Park and I coudn't hear any difference.
    I used the DVD on a Sony DVP-S725 player and a Yamaha DSP A2 receiver with Kef fronts and Surrounds and a B&W subwoofer. This system is great, but it didn,t work very well with the JP dvd!
    The picture of this DVD is fine, but not great, it's a bit soft and not 2,35:1. Sound sounds very compressed and a bit loud.
    Really a disapointment.
    I,ve got a problem too. My dvd and dvdrom player don't play the production photographs section. My dvdrom player doesn't play the dvdrom extra features either. Has ayone simular problems?

It's great that the Jurassic Park has so many features, but the result is more compression. I'd prefer less features and better picture and sound!

regards Dirk L.

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have the Sony 725.

I rented JP luckily,as I was a bit disapointed aswell.I was expecting too much I think,although Alien 2,3 and 4 R2's were fantastic,three of the best sounding ones I've heard,all dynamic and great sub sound in Aliens.

Didn't have any problems with JP extras,though I didn't play the production photographs.

As for the compression of the sound,I think you'll find that most Dolby Digital films are in the same 384kps and you shouldn't notice the difference really with the picture or the sound,the picture relying on a good master,transfer,or original filming.

New releases,like Gladiator,will have both DTS aswell as DD and all the extras,so this will hopefully bring better sound from DTS anyway,being four times the sampling rate of Dolby Digital.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Jurassic Park was originally filmed in 16:9,to make the Dinosaurs look bigger and because less computer generation is required,I have read,feasable though.