June 2021 Winner - Reflections

snerkler

Got pretty lucky with the reflections at Llyn Idwal this week on my trip to Snowdonia. Taken with the Sony A9-ii and 16-35mm f4. Imported to lightroom with my preset, slight contrast boost and decreased highlights and then cropped to 16:9 format.

Photo in next post for ad avoidance.

Marika

That is a beauty, for sure.

snerkler

That is a beauty, for sure.
Thanks. I can’t believe you don’t take advantage of these fantastic places on your doorstep :eek:

Marika

Thanks. I can’t believe you don’t take advantage of these fantastic places on your doorstep :eek:

Well, for one, we very rarely have the time. Plus, I have extremely bad knees. I can walk on level for ages, but climbing and especially descending kills them. I would not fancy a situation where I get up somewhere and have to call the mountain rescue to get me down, because I can't walk :) So yeah, close they may be, but still kind of out of reach for me. We do go there often for short trips, but stay on the low on foot.

snerkler

Well, for one, we very rarely have the time. Plus, I have extremely bad knees. I can walk on level for ages, but climbing and especially descending kills them. I would not fancy a situation where I get up somewhere and have to call the mountain rescue to get me down, because I can't walk :) So yeah, close they may be, but still kind of out of reach for me. We do go there often for short trips, but stay on the low on foot.
Ah, sorry to hear about your knees :( It's a beautiful place, I can't believe I've not been to Wales before (well I went to Rhyll as a very young child and Scuba dived off Anglesey as a teenager). The weather's let us down the past couple of days though, got soaked yesterday and today is very wet and murky :facepalm:

Marika

We are currently in Llangollen having our anniversary lunch. We had a little rain in Prestatyn last night, but other than that, we haven't seen a drop. We drove up here through Betws-y-Coed and it didn't seem very rainy there either. You must have been unlucky with your location. 🙂

snerkler

We are currently in Llangollen having our anniversary lunch. We had a little rain in Prestatyn last night, but other than that, we haven't seen a drop. We drove up here through Betws-y-Coed and it didn't seem very rainy there either. You must have been unlucky with your location. 🙂
We’re near Llanllechid and went to Anglesey, the west coast was very wet yesterday :( Wasn’t supposed to be great today but went over to the Betws-y-Coed side and it was really nice, the sun was shining bright :smashin:

snerkler

Great, fantastic scenery and symmetry! I might have liked a bit more of the foreground to balance the sky, but otherwise perfect.
Thanks. The reflection line is central (well being pedantic it's about 1mm out when I scrutinise in LR) so I think it would look unbalanced if I had more foreground. Just my opinion of course and appreciate not everyone sees it the same :smashin:

Thanks. The reflection line is central (well being pedantic it's about 1mm out when I scrutinise in LR) so I think it would look unbalanced if I had more foreground. Just my opinion of course and appreciate not everyone sees it the same :smashin:
I meant the distance from the top of the frame to the top of the hills is greater than the distance from the bottom of frame to the reflected tops of the hills, so the amount of sky and river bed isn't the same. Having said that of course a bit of asymmetry can often be more pleasing to the eye than perfect symmetry!

snerkler

I meant the distance from the top of the frame to the top of the hills is greater than the distance from the bottom of frame to the reflected tops of the hills, so the amount of sky and river bed isn't the same. Having said that of course a bit of asymmetry can often be more pleasing to the eye than perfect symmetry!
Yeah I got that ;) But as I say the midline is only a gnats out and that should (in theory) balance the amount of sky and foreground. TBH I thought it was bang on, I must have needed spec savers that day I edited it ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom