1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumpy DVD playback on PC!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by unrealrocks, Nov 21, 2003.

1. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I don't have a DVD player upstairs so I play DVDs on my PC (it has a 21" monitor so is pritty good).

I've not played a DVD recently although just tryed to watch Charleys Angels : Full Throttle and the picture and sound is really stuttery ... unplayable! Just tryed another DVD I know works in it and sure enough - same problem!

System is a 2100XP, ASUS A7N8X-D V2.0, Sound is the onboard SoundSTORM, GeForce4 Ti4800SE and an old 8x (Samsung I think) DVD player with Multiregeon flash!

Anyone else have this problem - anyone know how to sort it because its really annoying me :(

Cheers!

2. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the DMA setting for the IDE channel the DVD drive is on.There is a problem with this in Win XP - if the drive encounters read errors then Windows will reduce the DMA setting to PIO mode.Fortunately it straight forward to reset the DMA setting.

If the drive is stuck in PIO mode then you will need to uninstall the IDE channel and then reboot.THe IDE channel will then be redetected and reinstalled in DMA mode.

There is an article on this problem on Microsofts site but I can't find the link at the moment.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Moving to HCPC :) Your question may be better suited to there :)

K.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What DVD player software are you using? Try disabling/enabling hardware video acceleration. Some display driver sets are fussy, one way or the other.

MuFu.