Jumping into 4K do i need new amp

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a yamaha amp which only has 1.4a HDMI capability. Its a yamaha RX v767.

I have all my sources including PC running through the amp.

If i am going to run everything to a 4K set and play games in 4K etc i assume i need to replace the amp. (it does true passthrough but that wont help soundwise)

If so any recomendations - it needs to have 2 HDMI outputs as i also run it to a projector and TV at the same time

The main issue is going to be the requirement for HDCP 2.2 compliance and this is only an issue if wanting to connect something such as one of the new UHD 4K Blu-ray players that will start to become available by the end of this year. You need HDCP 2.2 compliance to allow a receiver to be able to passthrough HDCP 2.2 encoded content. All future UHD Blu-ray content will be encoded with HDCP 2.2 as will most if not all other UHD video sources. The other factor is the receiver's ability to handle the full UHD video spec and you need at least HDMI version 2.0a to fascilitate this. I'd probably suggest the Denon AVRX2200W which should be available by the end of July with a recommended price of £499. This will give you both the HDMI 2.0a interface as well as HDCP 2.2 compliance. It will also include Atmos as well as DTS:X via a future free software update. The AVRX2200W has 2 HDMI outputs.

I assume i can bypass the video and use optical if need be.

oh that denon sounds decent.

Optical would not work in my case anyway as my PC GPU does not have an optical output

Yes, but optical cannot convey the HD audio formats associated with Blu-ray content such as TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio or multichannel PCM. You'd be limiting yourself to the older 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital SD formats as well as stereo 2 channel PCM. You need to use HDMI to convey the HD audio formats.

Last edited:
Denon AVRX2100W

does that work or is it not 2.2 compliant

Another option would be to use a UHD video player with dual HDMI output. You'd use one output to convey the UHD video to a suitable display while the other output is used to convey the HD audio to older AV receivers.

Denon AVRX2100W

does that work or is it not 2.2 compliant

That isn't HDMI version 2.0 so will not be HDCP 2.2 compliant. You need at least HDMI version 2.0 to include HDCP 2.2 compliance. The AVRX2100 only has a version 1.4 HDMI interface.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom