Jumanji: The Next Level 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I enjoyed this first but quickly became bored with this, maybe it was my mood.

Is the sound Atmos? I thought I’d read that this was an imax enhanced DTS-X title. I’d prefer Atmos if it is.

Is the sound Atmos? I thought I’d read that this was an imax enhanced DTS-X title. I’d prefer Atmos if it is.

Good shout, noticed it on playback but forgot on write-up. Edited now. No wonder it was so peppy!

We. Must . Have. This.
We loved the first one, so this is gold

Entertaining enough, all good fun and ultimately that's what movies are all about, a good saturday night movie with the family but found wanting in a world where film viewers expect more than what this film has to offer - Scores on the doors - 6.6/10

Excellent review Cas, We saw this at Trafford centre Odeon and really enjoyed it. As you say it looks and sounded great so we’ll definitely get this on uhd Blu-ray . Thanks very much for all you’re great work that you do it is much appreciated. Take care 👍🙏

Hi Cas,
Another one that I am going to add to the collection, as the picture quality is excellent on the first disc and expect the same on this, as well as liking it, saw it at the cinema.

Although not as good as the first one, it still entertained me. Didn't expect much from either film which is probably why I found them enjoyable, not having a big expectation.

Looking forward to another 4k blast when I get the disc later this week.

Thanks for the review, agreed with your comments on the use of the 2 Danny's, they did make me chuckle at times.

I enjoyed this first but quickly became bored with this, maybe it was my mood.
Agree 100%. The first film I really liked and have watched a few times. This film... I won’t bother again. 6/10...maybe.... probably more a 5 if I’m honest. Such a shame. 🙁

To me it sounded a little light, i wouldn't say it has DNR applied, but the bass wasn't as punchy as i would have expected and the sound track was a little overall quieter (had to turn the volume up more than typical). Not sure if just my setup though.

Last edited:
To me it sounded a little light, i wouldn't say it has DNR applied, but the bass wasn't as punchy as i would have expected and the sound track was a little overall quieter (had to turn the volume up more than typical). Not sure if just my setup though.

it maybe that your system cannot decode the dts X/imax enhanced track? my arcam avr390 shows it is getting the imax track and this disk plays a lot louder than atmos tracks. I have to play this disk and the recent zombieland disk 7 or 8 db lower than any atmos track

it maybe that your system cannot decode the dts X/imax enhanced track? my arcam avr390 shows it is getting the imax track and this disk plays a lot louder than atmos tracks. I have to play this disk and the recent zombieland disk 7 or 8 db lower than any atmos track

It could be an imax enhanced issue, as dts-x it doesn't have any problems with other discs. I know imax enhanced does some odd stuff to bass management when enabled, so maybe its connected and when run through an nonsupporting decoder it sounds off. Going to have another listen to a few scenes over the weekend.

It could be an imax enhanced issue, as dts-x it doesn't have any problems with other discs. I know imax enhanced does some odd stuff to bass management when enabled, so maybe its connected and when run through an nonsupporting decoder it sounds off. Going to have another listen to a few scenes over the weekend.
My Denon AVR X6200W is DTS-X compatible, but doesn't support the IMAX enhancements. Sounded fine to me with plenty of bass rumble (stampeding Ostriches etc).

Regards,
James.

Got the iTunes rental last night. Looked stunning. Great fun. Had a smile on my face the whole time. Most of the people can’t act of course, but that didn’t stifle my enjoyment. Probably only added to the charm. Jack Black and Kevin Hart were very good at embodying different actors.

I really enjoyed this when I saw it at the cinema last year.
The UHD sounds like a really good release.

Enjoyable film, more or less similar to the first film which is not a bad thing at all.

I found this film liifeless & almost completely forgettable.

Just a brief take on it...

Picture quality 9 sound 7 for me, the atmos soundtrack on the first film was much better.

Had to turn the volume up considerably on the DTS-X track

I had the same experience.
Surprised Cas thought it was a 10, think we've got the same soundbar.

We just finished watching this. A quite slow build but when it got in gear, funny & engaging as all heck
Everybody was really good with their new identities and carried them off excellently, but I must say when they come out of the Water towards the end with everyone in their "correct" characters was a "Yes!" moment for us
Great fun, great PQ, really loved the Mix. a 9 at least

For some reason I'm appreciating the humour more than when I watched this in the cinema. I also didn't loose patience with the setup.

As for the disc, the picture quality is very nice, I dont see it as top tier Sony but still very nice. The HDR is relatively natural and in combination with WGC makes this a nice colourful picture without going over the top. The audio. They really use that respawn bing a lot here, it's still a great effect. There are other nice surround and overhead effects. I thought that this film was lacking a little LFE so I checked my system.The bass heat map show that large parts of this film is bass light. To be fair, once I turned the volume up +5dB it was better and sounded quite decent in the last third of the film.

I didn't compare the DTS:X to IMAX Enhanced but FWIW I didn't hear anything special with the IMAX Enhanced audio. On the contrary I think that the DTS:X mix is problematic with or without IE. They've lowered the volume and removed a lot of the lower frequencies.

Fun film, nice picture quality, the audio is concerning.

7/10

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom