July 2012 Winner - From Above

shotokan101

Banned
My entry this month - bit of an obvious interpretation for me - but I like how it turned out :)

The Long Way Down...

Processed in LR3 - slight rotation and crop - detail recovery with mono conversion then contrast tweak followed by quite a dramatic S-Curve applied and a slight highlight reduction to give the final effect.

Jim

Int3rceptor

There is something about this that keeps me coming back to look at it and I don't know why!

I think its the fact that it resembles other objects - I know its a staircase but my mind keeps telling me paper clips for some reason!

It's quite hypnotic and I like it!

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks for the feedback - glad you like it :)

stripe

Very hypnotic! I can see several different things in this picture, violin strings with a metal bow (squint at it :eek:), paper clips, and one hell of a long way down.

Cracking capture and PP :clap:

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
Saw this on your Flickr and really like it, though it didn't actually dawn on me what it was until now :facepalm:

Cracking shot Jim, one of my faves this month :thumbsup:

Darren

shotokan101

Banned
Very hypnotic! I can see several different things in this picture, violin strings with a metal bow (squint at it :eek:), paper clips, and one hell of a long way down.

Cracking capture and PP :clap:

That's brilliant, I'd have that on my wall :smashin:

Wonderful shot Jim....B/W aspect and geat lines make this a winner.Fav so far...

Terry

Saw this on your Flickr and really like it, though it didn't actually dawn on me what it was until now :facepalm:

Cracking shot Jim, one of my faves this month :thumbsup:

Darren

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the positive comments :blush: :cool:

Jim

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
You are feeling very sleepy..... hypnotic was my frist thought as well, very cool.

shotokan101

Banned
You are feeling very sleepy..... hypnotic was my frist thought as well, very cool.

Thank you :)

BTW - my first thought for a title was " Where To Go" but I thought that might be too subtle and confusing (Vertigo) :blush: :facepalm: :laugh:

Jim

Last edited:

den9112

As you say Jim , a obvious interpretation and that's why i just look and and leave ,and i don't mean that to sound direspectful , i always look for the out side the box thinking ,creativity etc ,scour the internet and you will find millions like your's .......it certainly fit's the theme ,possibly to much if that can be ...... it is well processed and well executed ....hope you understand were i am coming from...... if it was sent in for a competion with pro judges it would no doubt pass the first round .......:smashin:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
A good title, it made me look at the picture and the effects followed.

shotokan101

Banned
As you say Jim , a obvious interpretation and that's why i just look and and leave ,and i don't mean that to sound direspectful , i always look for the out side the box thinking ,creativity etc ,scour the internet and you will find millions like your's .......it certainly fit's the theme ,possibly to much if that can be ...... it is well processed and well executed ....hope you understand were i am coming from...... if it was sent in for a competion with pro judges it would no doubt pass the first round .......:smashin:

Cheers Den - I fully understand what you're saying and to a large extent agree entirely (possibly not about it getting through the first round in a competition mind you ;))

I too look for and enjoy "different or out-of-the-box" Theme interpretations from the obvious - e.g. "The Descent" or "Painted From Above" or "**** From Above..." this month but after a couple of weeks of walking around head scratching this one eluded me :)

Thanks for the honest feedback - as you know I appreciate that :)

A good title, it made me look at the picture and the effects followed.

Which one ? :D

den9112

Thanks jim , that's why i love dominos entry it fits everything i like to see in a photo entry,,,,,,,,OK so he didn't hide the blu-tac, but as i stated with icemans entry last month(that i voted for) technicality can go out the window sometimes....PS i actualy had a idea you were going to post something like this when i went to your flickr.......but i do like the one with the mirrors with the lady in shot.

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks jim , that's why i love dominos entry it fits everything i like to see in a photo entry,,,,,,,,OK so he didn't hide the blu-tac, but as i stated with icemans entry last month(that i voted for) technicality can go out the window sometimes....

Yes indeed - I much prefer an image with "impact" every time - so much the better if it's technically good as well but that's only a marginal element for me and TBH that's partly why I've been trying to use my compact for a lot of these compo. entries :)

Miranda

This is certainly interesting, gorgeously abstract and all in all, fits the theme spot on! I must say I really like this :)

shotokan101

Banned
This is certainly interesting, gorgeously abstract and all in all, fits the theme spot on! I must say I really like this :)

Cheers M - glad you like it and appreciate the comments :thumbsup:

shotokan101

Banned
First look and brain said paperclip :D Class image, Jim! :smashin:

Cheers Para :smashin: - I never even thought/saw "paperclip" till it was mentione earlier and now it's all I can see :facepalm:

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
Thanks jim , that's why i love dominos entry it fits everything i like to see in a photo entry,,,,,,,,OK so he didn't hide the blu-tac, but as i stated with icemans entry last month(that i voted for) technicality can go out the window sometimes....

I'm not going to live that one down, am I :facepalm:

shotokan101

Banned
I'm not going to live that one down, am I :facepalm:

:laugh:

a) No such thing as bad publicity ;)

b) I told you to blag it with the the "Poop Overspill" :devil:

Jim

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Nice one Jim, abstract AND processed, nice job.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts