1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Julia really needs help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by JuliaB, Apr 18, 2005.

1. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys can anyone help me decide what to do?
    :lease:
    My old TV just "died" which means I am going to HAVE to buy a new LCD :thumbsup:
    But that means I will HAVE to replace the old 90s Stereo with a Home Cinema System too.
    BUT I have so many questions..(and didn't know where to post this thread because of it - FYI Admin have posted it in All-in-One thread too)

So, do I get an all-in-one or do I get a 250GB HDD/DVD recorder and separates or do I think, it now's the time to converge - PC Home Server & network?

I have about £3k in total to spend and I already went browsing yesterday and think I do not have enough for a Home Cinema Sys, Hme Server, network & LCD TV as the guy in Richer Sounds ( I know, but it's where I always shopped for my first systems in the 80s) said I could get the 30" LG LCD RZ30L250 (£1200) and Cambridge Audio Azur 540 Amp (£250) & DVD (£200) Mordaunt short Speakers set up (£590). With cabling and guarantee that comes to about £2400! Good quality sound with cheap TV, but no HDD.

I also looked at Sony Centre offers they have a 32" LCD KDL-L32MRX1 (reconditioned) (£2300)and a Hme Cinema DAV SR4W (wireless rear speakers) for £570 or DAV SR3 for £480 all with 1 yr stnd guarantee.

So for not much more I get branded products that take up less space, and look great but will there be an audible difference in sound quality by having a cheap all-in-one sys and expensive LCD?
    Is there any point me spending so much on a LCD? (after reading about Sonix in Sainsburys) I want a decent LCD TV as a main tv in the lounge so I am prepared to spend more - but I don't want to get ripped off!
    See what I mean? Logging on to AV has brought even more questions to mind! and even confused me even though I am ridiculed for being nerdy about my music!

Sorry it's so Long! Any thoughts from past experience would be appreciated.
    :devil:
    Julia

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks will check it out, currently only have Freeview but want to get a digital Source with more choice, possibly Sky +

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you are thinking of going down the SKY route and think you might be tempted by Hi-def in the future then make sure your screen has a HDMI or DVI-HDCP connection. All the new screens being launched have this.

5. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the Sony KDL-L32MRX1 will have a HDMI or DVI-HDCP connection then I assume?

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am afraid not! Sony have been very slow but they have announced a new range, as have Sharp, Phillips, etc, but they will not be available until the summer. There are sets around that have it on if you search. There is a thread on here listing all the screens that are OK, it would make sense to buy one that supports Hi-def.

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As jimg says, no Sonys are currently HD Ready.

All I can advise is a very similar setup to what I have here myself.

TV - Philips 32PF9986 - £1800 - £2000.
    All in One Home Cinema - Denon DHT500SD - £399.
    DVD Recorder - Panasonic DMR-E55 - £180. (DMR-E85 - £289 at Richer)

Now then, the TV is currently the best LCD in the £2000 bracket and is arguably the best LCD in any price bracket.

The Denon Home Cinema is an astonishingly high quality system that comes with a 600w Amp, brilliant Progressive Scan DVD player and all the necessary speakers, wires etc.

The DVD recorder would have to be upgraded to the DMR-E85 (or similar) if you want a Hard Disk recorder. Alternatively, you could plump for the very clever Sky+ system which could take care of all your Hard Disk recording duties and introduce you to Sky.

I have deliberately not suggested using any PC systems for use as a Home Cinema setup, as I don't think this is a particularly practical way to go about it at present.

I have bunged this lot onto a really nice Kenmark glass stand and the whole thing works beauifully and looks great.

With a nod to the future. I personally have held back going for Sky+ at the moment as this will be superceded by Sky+HD next year. This Sky Box will supply High Definition pictures which are particularly suited to LCD TV's. It will also have a Hard Disk recorder. I also havn't gone for a digital DVD player (DVI output) as these will also be upstaged shortly by DVD-HD and Blu-Ray DVD players.

Anyway, this can all be purchased well within your budget and is proven to work really well. Feel free to ask more questions....

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

9. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much both of you! :smashin:
    I will do some more research (OK look up the details of the set up Jim recommended to make sure I like the look of them!) and may need to ask a few more questions shortly!

:clown:
    Julia

10. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or you could go for ?

loewe a32 xelos hdtv ready and hdcp compliant £1995

or panny tx32lxd50 although not hdtv ready you can input hd source throught component at 1080i/720p@50hz (supported by sky) built in idtv until you decide what sky your goin for £1995

jamo a3 home cinema nice speakers active sub sylish design unit, progressive scan. £649. (ive never liked the denon personaly although id say its worth its money)

panny dmr dmres10 dvd recorder £239 or
    dmreh50 dvd recorder with hard drive but if your gettin sky+ you might just want the dmres10

for the stand you could go for the optimum 200 range ff2/ff3 or 8002sl/8003sl
    top price would be £349 for largest size although it would look amazing on a 8002sl £249
    the larger stand would take you over budget by £132 and thats not including the component cable for your jamo or the scart for you dvd recorder if you got one. but if you went forlcd,jamo,8003sl,sky+ it would be approx £2892. leaving you cash for leads.

i personaly prefer the optimum range to the kenmark yes they are more expensive but the finish on them is very nice.
    but what do i know.

http://www.optimum2000.com/fusion.html

hope this helps you a bit more

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll post a picture of my setup later. The Kenmark is awesome quality for the price, (£99) certainly compared to Alphason. I havn't seen an Optimum stand in the flesh...

Catch ya later,

Jimmy

12. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would definatly agree with you on that one :smashin:

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have attached three pictures of my telly and assorted bits.

Any questions....just ask.

Jimmy

Attached Files:

14. mjbower

mjbower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimsan, where did you buy the Kenmark from ?

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This one came from Comet at £149. However, Index do it for £99. Get one before they close down!

Jimmy

16. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    Thanks for all the help - Sorry that I haven't replied earlier but work has been manic over the last two days - Jimmy thanks for the photos really useful! Think I want to wallmount the TV when I get it! Would like to see the LCD in the flesh. Will def post again. Would you say the Phillips is better that the Loewe recommended above?

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Really close call between these two. They are both superb TV's......

Last December I was going through a similar situation to yourself - completely re-vamping my AV system. I researched everything like a madman, especially the TV. I tested, pretty thoroughly, 12 of the top LCD's in my price bracket. It came down to three TV's. A Sharp, the Philips 9986 and a Loewe Spheros. All 32's. The Loewe was very good, but not any better than the 9986 and at the time was quite a lot more expensive. It also had fewer features than the 9986.

The Sharp is also excellent - very slim and elegant. But not as good as the Philips with poor signals like RF Terrestrial. The Philips won quite easily as it does everything I wanted really well and has some neat additional features like the utterly superb Ambilight! This totally changes the way we watch and experience our TV viewing and works even better, apparently, when the TV is wall mounted!

If you do go to see these TV's, make a proper pest of yourself in the shop. Get the TV's set up properly and have good fiddle with them. If you need more info on how to fettle the TV let us know.

Have fun...

Jimmy

18. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmy
    What exactly is "Ambilight"? I had a quick surf and came back with the following,

"Adjustable Ambilight for a relaxing sensorial experience.
    State of the art Digital Natural Motion for smooth yet sharp movement
    Latest High Definition LCD WXGA display technology, resolution: 1366 x 768p
    Real beauty lies in the detail
    The soft glow of the ambient light makes the design stand out in a subtle way" LMAO :D

Would like to know how you'd describe it (with a little less marketing speak I would guess!) and why you think it's so good! I really do think I have to see the 9986 now! Getting very close to a decision.
    The only other question I have is on where to buy them all? I've done some surfing and found the Denon for £385 and the 9986 with table stand and wall bracket for £1813 plus 2 yr warranty. The Loewe for £1700.

That's the cheapest I can find on the web but they are not sites I have purchased from before!
    Right must get back to work!
    Julia
    Thanks once again

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Back to work? This is far more important!

The prices you have found seem pretty good! Name names on here and you'll get some feedback on most online companies.

The Ambilight is hard to describe, but amazing to experience. No other TV has this....yet. Anyway, what happens is that whatever general colour is being displayed on the screen is also projected out the sides of the TV onto the wall behind it. So, if you're watching Golf or Football, for instance, the wall at each side of the TV has a green 'cast' to it. When the 'Hells Kitchen' logo appears at commercial breaks the whole room is illuminated bright red! This colour changes constantly in sympathy with the screen colour and has to be seen in adarkened room to be believed.

You can also set it to project a single steady colour of your choice, even when the TV is off!

The Ambilight also makes TV watching at night a lot easier on the eyes - less strain. It also has the benefit of making the blacks look blacker.

Fantastic feature which will, of course, be carried over to the new 9830, but in stereo!

Jimmy

20. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys!
    Well I spend nearly two hours in John Lewis ON sUNDAY "playing" with the TVs and the Denon, only to say thank you and walk out! I felt awful as the guys were so sure they had a sale, don't think they'd come across a woman who was so sure of what she wanted to see and knew the specs (thanks to you!)
    BUT you are probably going to laugh at me as I have a dilemma - I know the features of the 9986 are better than the 9976 or the Loewe A32 but I don't like the facia/look of the 9986. It just doesn't look that sleek and looks slightly old already.
    Would I be a fool to go for the Loewe instead of the 9986 purely based on appearance? They are both good TVs afterall and I could hardly tell the difference between the image quality even though i must admit pixel 2 does make a difference.
    Just thought I'd ask for your opinion before I take the plunge.
    Julia

21. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll agree that the 9986 is a bit 'different' and is certainly not a subtle design. In no way is it pretty! Sort of handsome in a brutish kind of way... I quite like it and I feel the Ambilight is a big plus. But for goodness sake don't buy it if you don't like it! The Loewe is a great TV and comes highly recommended, but I can't help you much with it. I think 'ianh' has one and is very helpful with any technical queries.

Jimmy

22. rebsbox

rebsbox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I saw the phillips for the first time in a shop a few weeks ago and I thought it was so ugly, I honestly thought that if it was so great picture wise that maybe we could live without the 1:1 for the computer but having seen it I just hated it. :eek:
    Still it was nice to spend so long in the shop on my own without being patronised by any of the staff :clap:

I still like the hitachi.

-Bec-

23. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Julia,

I had to choose just recently and went with a 32" Sharp GA3. I didn't like the look of the Philips and at the time the Loewe was too expensive (There again, the Philips was too expensive also !). If it was up to me I suppose I would choose the Loewe due to the amount of inputs on the tv but I don't like the look of either personally, I couldn't understand why they would fix speakers to a screen when a lot of people run a 5.1 surround system with them. Sharp got it right with having the option of taking the speaker(s) off, they just got the number of units available wrong !

Anyway, have you thought of a HTPC ? You'd probably be able to spec a decent PC for about £500-600 and you'd be able to use that as a Freeview PVR using DVB-T cards, Music centre, DVD player/burner. You can run utilities to upscale the images to get exact 1:1 pixel match with the LCD and deinterlace the picture. Have pure digital signals to your LCD and have digital audio output to link to an AV Receiver. Completely upgradable to improve the machine.

Then, take a look at a Denon 1705 receiver and Canton CD1 5.1 surround for £240 delivered. I've attached pics of my system - Sharp GA3, Canton CD1, Denon AVR1601. By the way, there is another sofa to view the TV from, we don't have eyes in the back of our head !

Richie.

Attached Files:

24. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help Jimsan and Richie for the latest addition!
    Trouble is I do like the functions on the 9986 and like the ambilight effect but because it's not "pretty" ( or it's different) I was going to say I am going for the Loewe (losing the ambilight obviously) and just wanted confirmation that I was not being stupid. But I will now have to check out the Sharp, wont I! Doh! Before I take the plunge!
    BTW
    I have found the TV @ http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/product.php?xProd=1449
    for £1755 and the Denon @ http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=6529 for £384. Good sites and prices?
    Julia

25. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sharps you'd be looking for are discontinued (GA4 and GA3) so you'll struggle to find one. The Sharp GA5 is a poor relation to the others and is to be avoided. Go for the Loewe.

The Sites you have listed are both well known companies, but I have had no experience with them. Should be OK.

Jimmy

26. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As Jimmy says, the current range of Sharps are just about sold out apart from the entry level GA5. All the new models ( from Phillips and Sharp )are just over the horizon!

Here is the new Sharp range
    http://www.mentor-distribution.com/sharp_tv.htm

27. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, after surviving on a 14" CRT for over a week I could not delay any longer, whilst the HDD/PC idea is still something I would like to follow up (perhaps just hook up to Sky + next month) I ordered the Loewe and the Denon last night, expect to take delivery next week! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee :) :thumbsup: :D :hiya: :clap: :)
    Thanks to everyone who has helped me since I first posted especially Jimsan (BTW I'm a fellow biker, ride a Busa). I will update you (ask how do I...) when I get my goodies, next week!
    How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Julia

28. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good Lass! Give us a shout with any probs...

Jimmy

29. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Good choice, you can always hook up a PC later in the day.

Richie.

30. JuliaB

JuliaB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now the proud owner of a Loewe A32 LCD TV! And I love it!!!!!
    Arrived yesterday and guess what one of the first ads I watched on it was for? The Philips 9986! My, how I laughed! :)
    I did a silly thing - the installation guys were going to charge me £70 to mount it on the wall, so I told 'em to shove it and said I would do it myself (Hubby is currently away on business until end of June!).

Are there any A32 owners out there (perhaps I should start a new thread?) as I have a few questions - I cannot get the EPG data to show the correct time - i.e. the programme schedules are all an hour out even though the TV is showing the correct time. Also, I cannot get the channels to show in the correct order on the EPG chart, even though I have sorted them within the normal TV menu options.

The picture on the whole is great, American programmes seem to come out best (Time to kill - last night the picture was crystal clear, as was ER) but long shots on football pitches don't look brilliant, even though close ups are fine.
    On the negative side, annoyingly the DVB software will not pick up any radio channels, or work with BBC interactive and the EPG data (equivalent of digital text) as mentioned above, is not simple to use,whilst my previous £50 freeview box did all the above and had a very simple GUI.

Right Denon DH500 arrives in the next couple of days, and then I have to make a decision on whether I go for Sky + now I have the rest!
    (and put the TV on the wall - gulp :eek: )

Regards
    Julia