Juicy new Sony BRAVIA stuff

David Mackenzie

Ex Member
Reaction score
Well, I think this web presentation was open to the public, so no problems with me posting stuff from it, right? :smashin:

The "WebEx Player" thing doesn't seem to have recorded the end of the presentation so here's what we have. Sorry about the missing end, but I had a bus to catch!

First up, what new stuff is coming out...

1.jpg

More stuff on Live Colour Creation - this should end the "What is it" debate once and for all. I was correct, it's a combination of hardware and software.

2.jpg

Did you think "BRAVIA Engine Pro" was the Americanized name of "BRAVIA Engine EX"? Well we were wrong, it was just Europe getting diddled again. Bravia Engine Ex is in fact almost but not quite as good as Pro.

3.jpg

The U-Series is getting updated pretty soon:

5.jpg

The S is getting Live Colour Creation:

6.jpg

The V is getting.... nothing worth speaking of over the S! Why don't they add a second Component input to the V-Series and up? Who really cares that it has a weirder contrast fudging option? :eek:oks like the V Series is now the "pay more for looks" choice!

7.jpg

Here comes the W Series.

8.jpg

And then I had to run. Enjoy!

nice one lyris

seems that the only diff between the V and W 40" variant is the 1080p panel. contrast, response time, bravia engine is all the same. Makes life a lot easier as far as i'm concerned. the choice for the consumer between the V and W comes down to sources it seems. if you use primarily SD and 720 then the V is the probably the best panel, if you favour 720 with more 1080 stuff then possibly the W.

all in all, thanks for the info...defo going for a V now, if all the W offers is one more hdmi and 1080 res, but the same bravia engine, contrast etc, then i'll save myself 200+

cheers

fish

hi lyris,this stuff is in the new bravia mag that came out last week:thumbsup:

Thanks Kourosh, what did I miss off the end? The X-Series isn't getting updated, is it? I must have misinterpreted that.

no mate,its not getting updated:thumbsup: you have done a good job,hopefully people will realise now the difference's between the range and dont think they are just paying extra's for no reason:thumbsup:

interesting....

the picture quality difference between the Bravia (w series) and Bravia EX (x series) is the SD-HD conversion. great for SD material but not a feature used if you run everything through a HTPC.

might save some of you a grand if you're not bothered about the styling.

interesting....

the picture quality difference between the Bravia (w series) and Bravia EX (x series) is the SD-HD conversion. great for SD material but not a feature used if you run everything through a HTPC.

might save some of you a grand if you're not bothered about the styling.

Don't hold your breath - I wouldn't be surprised if the W-Series lacks the "No Overscan" option of the X-Series :suicide:

Not really, the U-Series has a function where you can watch TV and the PC input at the same time though.

Will the S2500 come in 26" ? From what I read it doesn't seem so :(

hmm nifty. the probs is do do i wait for em to come out or do i buy something now:rolleyes:

so come January what will be the difference between the S and V ranges? They say thay are adding LIVE COLOUR CREATION to the S range which apart from styling I thought was the difference?:confused:

so come January what will be the difference between the S and V ranges? They say thay are adding LIVE COLOUR CREATION to the S range which apart from styling I thought was the difference?:confused:

ah Lyris, I just noticed your comments inbetween the s and the v ranges...:oops:

Lyris, you seem to know everything Sony. So this is for you or anyone who has seen the new models? Or has actually seen a KDL-40W2000 yet?

I am really interested in the KDL-40W2000-model. Specifications look great.

My concerns after buying a Sony Bravia KLV-S32A10 (I like it but there are som issues) last year are:

1. Is ther a fan like the previous V-model in the 40W2000? I really don´t want a fan in the TV. This was one of the reasons I went for S-model instead of V-model last year.

2. Is it fast enough for gaming? All models say 8ms, but so does my old Sony and I can see some lcd-lag sometimes. Especially with darker/muddier colors.

3. Can you set specific settings for each input. You can´t do that on my 1-year old S32A10. For example brightness 60 for HDMi and brightness 40 for VGA

Is it too early to ask these questions? I am unsure if this set is even on the market?

Thanks for that Lyris. I've got to say - I think Sony are making a mistake with so many different LCD models - it's just going to cause a lot more confusion for potential buyers.

1. Is ther a fan like the previous V-model in the 40W2000? I really don´t want a fan in the TV. This was one of the reasons I went for S-model instead of V-model last year.
My guess is no. The V2000 series removed the fan this year and listed it as a feature, so I would imagine all future Sony models will be fanless too.

2. Is it fast enough for gaming? All models say 8ms, but so does my old Sony and I can see some lcd-lag sometimes. Especially with darker/muddier colors.
Should be - the V2000 series was better than the previous V series (I had one of each) and I would expect it to be improved again, even if it's still quoted as being 8ms. I had no problems playing games on the V2000. You could sometimes see a little smearing, but it wasn't a problem in my opinion.

The S-PVA panel found in these will definitely be quicker than the one in your S series.

3. Can you set specific settings for each input. You can´t do that on my 1-year old S32A10. For example brightness 60 for HDMi and brightness 40 for VGA
I think that was a limitation of the old S series - you definitely can with the current V2000s.

no mate,its not getting updated:thumbsup: you have done a good job,hopefully people will realise now the difference's between the range and dont think they are just paying extra's for no reason:thumbsup:

However, if you do a google for a KDL-46X2500 you will see that the X-series has been updated in Japan. Seems more and more likely that the price for the 46X2000 will come down before too long.

I haven't seen one, but...

1. I don't think there are fans, no, the designs are much simplified now.

2. It should be fast enough, there's lots of different ways of quoting the response time. Sony clarified during the presentation that their best panels are 8ms grey-to-grey. I remember the older Sonys dragged a lot on dark areas, the new ones much less so (does S-PVA improve the response time? I'm not sure what we can attribute that difference to.)

3. Yes.

Thanks for that Lyris. I've got to say - I think Sony are making a mistake with so many different LCD models - it's just going to cause a lot more confusion for potential buyers.
Agree totally, I'm no marketeer but personally I think they should combine the U and S-Series into one and/or actually add some sort of benefit for the V-Series. The new V-Series looks to be almost useless right now - no improvements over the S worth speaking about (except for the nicer design) and I get the feeling previous V-Series owners will now want 1080p W-Series TVs instead...

Thanks for the, as always, great answers guys :)

The W-model looks even more interesting now.

Once the competition start releasing more 1080p-sets in the first quarter of 2007 the price should drop a bit at least I hope. In Sweden we pay a lot more for electronics than the rest of Europe thanks to our taxes :(

Is there any particular reason why Sony doesn't include PiP/PaP options, when most of the other Brands do ?

Seems strange to leave this out, considering Sony are viewed by most as the leading manufacturer of LCD's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom