Juicing

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bluedroog, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Does anyone else here use a juicer as part of a healthy diet? We've had one for about six months in our household and it's been great, the Mrs tends to follow the recipes of 'guru' Jason Vale while I just make mine up.

The basic rule is two apples per portion to give sweetness to balance out a load of healthy vegetables; I actually find one apple is enough then get the likes of:

Raw fresh beetroot
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Spinach leaves
    Root Ginger
    Lemon
    Fresh parsley and so on...

I'm aware overloading on fruit can give you a bit too much sugar so as I said I tent to go with one apple and most of the above, I particularly like the beetroot going in as I know it's supposed to be a 'super food'.

I find I have much less urge to snack and for someone who's not keen on breakfast anyway first thing it is a great way to start the day.

I have on occasion tried mixing some supplements such as Spirilina but actually find they can ruin the otherwise delicioustaste.

Any other juicers out there? :hiya:

2. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    I sooo thought you meant the other type of "juicing" haha!

Cant say I'm one, I've had the "eat your calories dont drink them" drummed into my head too hard to be tempted unfortunately

3. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    I think I've heard it used as a term for steroids, is that correct?

I'd say for the super healthy you may be right, of course most on this section will be pretty healthy. Though for me it gave me the encouragment to make the effort to get these good things in to my diet, I'd do a weekly juice shop to the local market.

4. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,897
    I've got a juicer - but never used it for ages...works well, tho, but some fruits work better than others - as the cost can be a bit off putting, like a punnet of blueberries - could of quid and you hardly get any juice..
    but great if you get some reduced price fruit from the supermarket...

5. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    It can certainly get expensive, but it’s also about planning ahead. As I mentioned a weekly trip to the fruit and veg market is now a regular thing. Me and the Mrs often take a suitcase down to Portobello and fill the thing for about twenty odd quid.

Also there are certain items which I would avoid, of just rather eat due to cost of juice efficiency. For example we leant our flat to a couple while on holiday and they complained about the cost having encouraged them to try it, but she’d been juicing asparagus!

If you go to the market the basic item such as apples, beetroot and carrots are good value and you get a lot of juice out of them with a decent juicer. Other items with good benefits such as ginger you only need a small amount of. So yes it certainly can be expensive, is never going to be cheap but if you’re careful it doesn’t have to be that bad.

It’s certainly played a major part in me losing weight and I feel much healthier so for the benefits I have gained the financial side has been a small price to pay.

If you’re disciplined and have time to prepare fresh healthy meals everyday and you’re already a fit and healthy person then the benefits may not be as pronounced, for me it has been great.

6. CoolBreeze9

CoolBreeze9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    We have a juicer but I've never used it.

The thing is though, I think you might be missing out on a lot of nutrients and vitamins by juicing this way. Because a lot of the good stuff is in the skin. That is if you're talking about the juicing where it compresses all the stuff into juice and then out of one side all the skin and pulp and such comes out? Right?

I would've thought it would better to use a blender if you want to drink rather than eat. Probably not as nice, but I'm sure you would be getting more out of it.

Oh and 'juicing' is a term used to describe using steriods, thats what I thought this thread was going to be about lol! :)

7. Sinead

Sinead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this thread was going to be about steriods ! :D

8. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409

I did think that! I seem to remember Meat Loaf refering to 'juicing' in Fight Club.

9. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Ah but this is part of the beauty, skin and all goes in an it all gets juiced, you don't peel and nor does the juicer its self.

I think they are pretty efficient actually, perhaps some of the cheaper ones are not as good but the Philips ones are excellent at getting the most out.

I have wondered myself if there is much goodness left in the pulp, of course those in the industry claim not, I'd be interested to actually see proper tests done on the juice and left over pulp. My hunch is most of the goodness is actually in the juice, I'ver certainly felt the benifits.

10. beastofrock

beastofrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    if you want a slightly lighter breakfast i go for a cup full of ice, banana, strawberries and spinach, all in the blender 3 minutes later nice refreshing smoothie

11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,325
    In addition, I hope I'm not the only one glad it wasn't :D