Judge Dredd: Mega City One

Yes, he actually takes his helmet off a fair bit (including the Dredd film) but we should NEVER see his face. And Urban understands that well.

I read a novel in which had a bath. Obviously we couldn't see his face but in that it took off all of his clothes but not his helmet. Even in novel form his face was not shown.

Bri

From what I can remember of my reading the comics back in the 80s & 90s the only time I remember him taking the helmet off was when he took the long walk into the cursed earth wasteland, then he wore a wide brimmed hat and his face while never explicitly fully shown had bits like his jaw shown as burned (I think.....it was a long time ago and my memory isnt what it used to be! :))

From what I can remember of my reading the comics back in the 80s & 90s the only time I remember him taking the helmet off was when he took the long walk into the cursed earth wasteland, then he wore a wide brimmed hat and his face while never explicitly fully shown had bits like his jaw shown as burned (I think.....it was a long time ago and my memory isnt what it used to be! :))

That was from a strip called The Dead Man, you do see his face quite clearly throughout the story, but only what's left of it after it was burned off in a river of acid :).

That was from a strip called The Dead Man, you do see his face quite clearly throughout the story, but only what's left of it after it was burned off in a river of acid :).

That series was really clever, I thought, as it ran concurrently with the normal Dredd series and didn't reveal he was Dredd until Dredd took the long walk in the main series. I was shocked when they revealed it.

That series was really clever, I thought, as it ran concurrently with the normal Dredd series and didn't reveal he was Dredd until Dredd took the long walk in the main series. I was shocked when they revealed it.

They actually revealed it before he took the long walk in the main strip. That story took place when the Dead Man finished so you could see how he got there.

In fairness, Rob Williams is one of the best writers on Dredd, particularly with the Wally Squad stuff. If him in charge means that Dirty Frank gets to be in the show, then it's all worth it.

He also works well co-ordinating with other writers. A recent-ish example was when there were three strips running in the comic by him, Si Spurrier and Al Ewing. Only half-way through did they reveal that it was all the same story from different perspectives which then merged into a big epic. "Trifecta" if you're looking for it - it's very good.

http://comicsalliance.com/2000-ad-judge-dredd-jack-point-dirty-frank-trifecta-review/

His Suicide Squad comic's pretty good too.

From facebook
199CC421-1937-46A5-A36C-F01D473503B7.jpeg

“Listen, I would love to make it, I’m on the record saying that a bunch of times. I don’t know if that’s gonna happen. I think that the guys that own the rights to Dredd, Rebellion, I think they’re developing something called ‘Mega-City One’ and it would just be great to see more Dredd, whether it’s with me or not, it doesn’t matter. I’m a fan of Dredd and there’s so many great stories there. I’d love to see them. And I have no doubt that, someday, someone will make it. It’s just a matter of time.”

https://www.avforums.com/javascript:void(0)

Sat and watched Future Shock the story of 2000AD over the weekend as it is/was free on Apple. Really interesting to see the background to it all and how the artists were sometimes using it as a springboard to working in America. I started reading 2000AD when Tornado merged with it (still have all of the annuals and original Tornado comics) and stopped reading it around 1999. Glad to see that my son is into it and he watched the documentary with me. I really hope this TV series and the upcoming Rogue Trooper film live up to everything we all want. Hard hitting, gory, violent, dark TV and film series are now standard and the back catalogue from 2000AD is absolutely ideal. Now anyone want Strontium Dog?

Sounds good, being telling one of my niece's about Dredd, ABC Warriors and Nemisis the Warlock. Can't go wrong with a sniper called Joe pineapples.

One thing I never realised was how controversial Action was. It was the forerunner to 2000ad.

Some of what makes the comic so successful would be good. Like the Angel gang, the League Of Fatties, Rise Of The Robots, the Dark Judges, the Cursed Earth, Block Wars,and loads more. All the sort of things which were missing from both movies.

There's a shed load of Dredd history to trawl and one movie would never have been sufficient. That's why I reckon a TV series is the best format for stony face to strut his stuff.

As a kid I read Tornado, Warlord, 2000 AD and The X-MEN. Yeah, hooked.

Last edited:
Some of what makes the comic so successful would be good. Like the Angel gang, the League Of Fatties, Rise Of The Robots, the Dark Judges, the Cursed Earth, Block Wars,and loads more. All the sort of things which were missing from both movies.

The Angel Gang and a small segment of the opening sequence that introduces Dredd during a Block War were in the Stallone movie.

judge-dredd-2.jpg

Left to Right: Junior, Fink, Pa and Mean Machine Angel IIRC.

Judge Dredd Mega City 1 as a TV series? Oh hell yeah. Karl Urbans chin is Judge Dredd.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom