Judder on 40W2000?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by phAge, May 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. phAge

phAge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    After spending a couple of hours testing this telly down at the store, I'm pretty confident that this (the 40" version) is the TV for me - stunning pictures with HD content, and lovely SD images too.

HOWEVER, I must say that I'm a bit unimpressed with how the set handles pans/tracking. In anything but the slowest pan/track, the background starts to judder, putting quite a strain on the eye. It was especially bad in the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, where Ryan is walking among the graves at Arlington. In the part where the camera tracks him walking parallel to the crosses/tombstones, they crosses judder/flicker quite a lot, making the scene rather hard to watch.

Now, I tested the telly with a Sony upscaling DVD player (through HDMI), and I'm thinking if maybe it was the upscaling that did it - it was set at 1080i, and I didn't get a chance to try out 720p. So... I was wondering if any of you kind sirs/madams out there could possibly test SPR on your tellies, and tell me if there is any judder going on in that particular scene (or in standard-def movies in general)?

Muchly appreciated.

phAge

2. phAge

phAge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No-one? :'(

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Hey phAge

Judder/flicker - these are different. Since you say you're using a Sony upscaling DVD player it's very likely that the player does not handle 2-2 Pulldown Detection from the disc properly, resulting in jagged, twittering details. That would explain why you specifically mention the background looking unnatural. (The last Sony upscaling machine I tried exhibited these jaggies).

The KDL-40W2000 does not have any processing fault that causes juddering. Like a lot of TVs, it doesn't get the 2-2 Pulldown Detection right on its own (neither does the player you were using by the sounds of it), but this can be remedied by using a better upscaling/progressive scan DVD player with the TV. Look at the Oppo Digital DV-981HD. This player is based on the Faroudja chipset which avoids jaggy/twittering problems from PAL movies.

4. phAge

phAge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers mate. Don't know if I can afford to replace my trusty old NAD T514 player right now, and to be honest, if all other LCDs have the same issue, I'm not too bothered - just don't want to get a set with that particular "feature"... I tested a Toshiba 32WLT66 pretty extensively some time ago, and didn't notice any judder at all, which is why I was so surprised to find it on the Sony costing more than double of the Tosh.

I'll have to try the 40W2000 with a different/non-upscaling player, because I fear that the judder I saw yesterday will end up driving me up the wall. Too bad, really, because other than that, its a brilliant set.

phAge