• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Judder in HDC-SD100 AVCHD Video

E

ebenabbaan

Hi all,

I posted this in another thread but thought I would try here as well. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I just bought a new Panasonic HDC-SD100, and I connect the camera to my comp, pick and choose the clips I want in the Log and Transfer window (Final Cut Pro 6), and they copy to my hard drive. Really easy and quick.

My problem: several clips in a recent hour's worth of footage stutter, or judder (I noticed this while editing; the clips have been transcoded to ProRes422). By stutter, I mean there are brief sequences of five or six (up to ten) frames that incorrectly play: Frame A, Frame B, Frame A, Frame B.... so on, before finally jumping to Frame G, Frame H, Frame I, Frame J, and so on continuing correctly. Like a DJ on turntables, except it is not cool.

But.

ON THE CAMERA the video plays back properly. But then when I tried RE-transferring the footage, I get the same "stutter" at the same place.

Does all solid-state media come with these kinds of problems? Is it a problem with the media? I'm hoping there are other out there with similar problems who can inform me... I may have to return this camera.

Thanks,

Cyrus

A n d r e w

This is weird. Uneven-looking playback often occurs with AVCHD video when panning (unless your pans are nice-n-easy), but getting snagged on a couple of frames? Very odd.

I have a Panasonic SD9 and use iMovie for importing and editing and I've not had this problem. I don't use FCP and wonder if this is an issue with the ProRes codec. Is it possible to import your clips, use AIC for the conversion, and see if that makes any difference?

There are one or two other Mac-users who post frequently here, though they own Sony TG3s. If you don't get the answer you're looking for, it might be worth posting at the Macrumors forums (Digital Video - Mac Forums), as there are a number of experienced AVCHD + Final Cut users there who are bound to be able to help more than I can.

Cheers,
Andrew.

E

ebenabbaan

i have not tried that, i will, and post my results.

Thanks for the reply.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom