1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judder compairing PC source to Video Source

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Perhaps some one has made a comparison . Is panning judder more pernounced using a PC source into the vga input of a projector than using a video source into Svideo or Componant inputs?

Panning judder is the bain of my life!!!:mad:

Conor

2. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried it this morning and the pans I though were a bit juddery were no better or worse using Saony 725 andDscaler.

I use Theatretak player and this made a pronounced improvement to pans and motion. It was certainly my best investment.

I have a thread about this elswhere, any questions, or anything anyone wants me to try just post and I'll have a go.

3. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick

The reason why I posted the question is that I can't remember ever seeing a post from some one complaining about panning juddder using a DVD player, where as it's quite often a very popular topic of discussion with people running projectors from PCs.

I have beem following your very useful threads regarding Theatretak and I think that I will also go down that route

Conor

Note:My work logon name is Comer

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    But any DirectX/video driver/system related judder probably be on the dScaler output too.

A better comparison would be Sony direct to projector v.s TT DVD player (at 71.928 NTSC or 75 PAL).

I have a direct SVideo connection from my AV amp to my Barco as well as to my Falcon dscaler input. I use the input to allow me to see on-screen graphics from my AMP while a DVD player is running (no dScaler at that time).

Trouble is the Barco does no deinterlacing or scaling of the direct SVideo input and the scanlines are spectacularly noticeable on a 7 ft screen.

I only tried my Sony 725 player via dScaler for an hour or so and now it's elsewhere. I can say that the Playstation2 Gran Tourismo 3 opening video looks fine (not noticeable judder) via dScaler when the pc refresh is 100Hz.

Now with TT and m-audio Audiophile 2496 the only time I really notice judder is if I have the pc refresh rate on the wrong setting for the system type of DVD I'm playing (PAL/NTSC)

I'm 60% through writing a DVDautorefresh utility which can automatically call a Powerstrip setting ('dvdNTSC' or 'dvdPAL') depending on what type of DVD is inserted.

So NTSC (region 1) titles should cause the pc to select the resolution you like with 71.928Hz (or whatever you've save in the dvdNTSC Powerstrip setting profile. And PAL (region2,4,etc.) get 50 or 75, or 100, etc whatever.

Should be robust enough tomorrow evening.
    Any comments or advice appreciated.

cheers,
    Rob.