Judas and the Black Messiah (2021)

richp007

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Judas and the Black Messiah is an upcoming American biographical drama film about American Black Panther Party activist Fred Hampton. The film is directed and produced by Shaka King, from a screenplay by King and Will Berson, and a story by King, Berson, and Kenny and Keith Lucas. It stars Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield, Jesse Plemons, Dominique Fishback, Ashton Sanders and Martin Sheen.

Looks very good; not one I'd heard of either until the trailer popped up on my news feed earlier.

Was scheduled for release this month, but postponed due to the virus.

Can't get enough of them.

Watched Mississippi Burning the other night too after Alan Parker's passing. Tremendous film. Plus Grisham's A Time to Kill is one of my all time favourite novels. Like the film as well.

That looks very promising - Kaluuya, Stanfield and Plemons are all particularly excellent too.

Yeah it has that feel of a film that they look at come award season - but obviously no idea yet if it warrants such acclaim.

Considering it was originally due out now, I can't believe I'd never heard anything about it. Nor had anyone else on here it seems (by way of a thread or conversation).

TBH, I think the more artier movies don't tend to get threads until a trailer arrives and don't tend to get a thread till then too.

7E21FAB7-AD8E-4964-809E-30713DEB150B-12136-00000EC2CA416DEC.jpg

I actually enjoyed it. Personally liked Kaluuya's performance, but Stanfield was - as ever - just outstanding. I think he really deserved more plaudits this awards season, he's an amazing actor.

It's about a 7/10 for me - I felt it didn't do as much as it could have to explain the Panthers' goals and impact. But then the film was really more about the Judas of the title. Well worth a look, particularly if you've managed to jump through the hoops to sign up to HBO Max.

I actually enjoyed it. Personally liked Kaluuya's performance, but Stanfield was - as ever - just outstanding. I think he really deserved more plaudits this awards season, he's an amazing actor.

It's about a 7/10 for me - I felt it didn't do as much as it could have to explain the Panthers' goals and impact. But then the film was really more about the Judas of the title. Well worth a look, particularly if you've managed to jump through the hoops to sign up to HBO Max.

agree with this
enjoyable drama, well paced, (if Spielberg had made this it likely been a been a 3hr slow burn), good performances, Lakeith Stanfield's performance was better 7/10

I watched this last night and enjoyed it too, did not know much about the backstory. Definitely worth a watch. On a side not I use ExpressVPN and I am getting 4K Dolby vision/atmos. Just found a couple of times it would freeze and had to restart on the Apple TV. Anyone else have similar problems?

I watched this last night and enjoyed it too, did not know much about the backstory. Definitely worth a watch. On a side not I use ExpressVPN and I am getting 4K Dolby vision/atmos. Just found a couple of times it would freeze and had to restart on the Apple TV. Anyone else have similar problems?
Just out of curiosity - and not to derail too much - do you have the VPN on a router, or applied on Apple TV direct? I currently have to use my Ipad.

Hi applied to apple tv direct. Support advised I add it to the router. I have a UNIFi router and can’t add it to that and don’t fancy get a new one. Does yours play fine from iPad? No freezes?

Hi applied to apple tv direct. Support advised I add it to the router. I have a UNIFi router and can’t add it to that and don’t fancy get a new one. Does yours play fine from iPad? No freezes?
The odd freeze - but if I connect to a decent server it runs OK. Every now and again I have problems, but I think they're usually down to the VPN speed (I have Nord). I think HBO Max in general isn't very good at dealing with low bandwidth or bandwidth fluctuations, unlike Netflix/Amazon/Disney. Technically, they're definitely behind the curve.

Was mostly fine throughout the film - but I don't seem to be able to output to the TV in 4K (despite having a USB C version of the AV connector, which should work).

Tried watching this twice now but have been greeted with cant play this title at this time message. Everything else on the hbo app works......

Tried watching this twice now but have been greeted with cant play this title at this time message. Everything else on the hbo app works......
I had that problem on something else and had to uninstall and reinstall it - which was a massive pain. But it did fix the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom