Question JTR

maxkolonko123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thought I will ask before I make a move on jtr sub.

I'm really keen on getting jtr rs2 ordered in the near future, but was curious if anyone would like to join me and do a group order to get some discount from jtr.

We could discuss it further once we have numbers etc, and see if it's worth proceeding with it or if it's better to do separate orders.

We could have a chat with Jeff and see how costs would look etc.

Thought I would just leave it here to see if there is any interest from anyone ☺️

Happy to help out with this.

The biggest single cost on these that isnt seen will be shipping, especially from the USA. The shear weigh and size of them, the smallest one is about 60cm square and nearly 60kg before packaging.

The RS2 is 1m High and 100Kg! before packaging.

So you are only likely to get 2 on a pallet, then you will have to wait for Groupage shipping into a container to keep the costs down etc. Suddenly the cost will far exceed the usuall 1:1 exchange rates used to calculate UK selling prices.

Happy to help out with this.

The biggest single cost on these that isnt seen will be shipping, especially from the USA. The shear weigh and size of them, the smallest one is about 60cm square and nearly 60kg before packaging.

The RS2 is 1m High and 100Kg! before packaging.

So you are only likely to get 2 on a pallet, then you will have to wait for Groupage shipping into a container to keep the costs down etc. Suddenly the cost will far exceed the usuall 1:1 exchange rates used to calculate UK selling prices.
I've got a shipping quote for single one rs2 and it's not as much as i would expect this to be

But if you could help with keep costs lower i would appreciate it. I'm sure you have more experience with getting gear over here then i do :)

I did toy with the idea. The shipping and price is ok... no big deal.. but the tax we have to pay when it hits our shores and to get it delivered to our doorsteps is huge.

I did toy with the idea. The shipping and price is ok... no big deal.. but the tax we have to pay when it hits our shores and to get it delivered to our doorsteps is huge.

It‘s that reason mainly that puts me off.

I think rather go for dual rs1 myself..although one RS1 will outclass my svs sbu13, not sure how much better duals would be... single listening positon

$2600 for one RS1
£300? For shipping?
+20% vat
Total about £2800?

I think rather go for dual rs1 myself..although one RS1 will outclass my svs sbu13, not sure how much better duals would be... single listening positon

$2600 for one RS1
£300? For shipping?
+20% vat
Total about £2800?

Even with one listening position you can get a better response with duals if you have placement options. I know autoEQ or an antimode will take care of the peaks, but only placement and, usually, more subs can take care of nulls.

And couldn't really justify £3000-£6000 on subs..too risky ATM been hearing employer shutting down...guess if I win the lottery.

Reckon second sbu13 only affordable option

Pretty similar here tbh. Being in the U.K. though means we have to make alternative choices.

It‘s that reason mainly that puts me off.

What you mean by the tax is huge? it's same as for any product we buy here which is 20%

$2600 for one RS1
£300? For shipping?
+20% vat
Total about £2800?

You messed up your calculations buddy :
RS1 2600$ + 300 240v amp = 2900$
shipping is not in pounds but dollars = 300$
+ 20% VAT = so we have 2400£ RS1 + 480 VAT = 2880/3000£

And couldn't really justify £3000-£6000 on subs..too risky ATM been hearing employer shutting down...guess if I win the lottery.

Reckon second sbu13 only affordable option
I hear you buddy, im in similar situation as i work in hospitality and been put twice on furlough, which affected my finance big time but hopefully this was the last time ( finger crossed ), and sub like this for me is more as long term investment rather just a toy for few months

Pretty similar here tbh. Being in the U.K. though means we have to make alternative choices.

That's the thing Dodge i don't see any alternatives in UK for us price and quality wise for the same money, lets say the only alternative here would be PSA maybe im wrong

So lets say RS2 i would put on par with something like TV36/TV36Ipal which cost here 4300£/4900£ ( yet RS2 have stronger amp 4000W which ok i dont know if its matter or no but look like you getting better quality from JTR )

For RS1 we probably would look at S18Ipal = 2200£ or maybe S3012 = 2500£
What else we could put here ?? SVS ?? SB16 ultra = 2500£

So i don't really see any bargain quality alternative here

As for you Dodge, you went trough how many subwoofers in past 2 years or so ? from what i've seen it was few at least but you never settle with any for longer, so in some way either you weren't happy with products or something. But what makes me curious how much did you lost in this process ( buying and selling over here ).

Im not saying getting something like JTR over here is a bargain by any means, but at least i know im getting the best bang for your buck

From my previous quote from Jeff i was looking at 4300$ delivered which is 3300£ + 20% vat = 3960£ or round it up to 4200£ with all extra costs. On top of it you have 12weeks lead time with 10% deposit, so its not like you need to spent whole 4k£ in one go at least you have time to spread and save costs a lil bit.

Now from what i spoke with some chaps here, you can save a lil on that price by asking Jeff if he can slightly under value price on the invoice to get slightly smaller VAT over here, next thing is if you going dual you getting 10% off.

Yeah I realise that. But it’s pushing £3k for one Sub and I’d be after two of them.
But if you would go dual you get 10% off so this could go towards VAT, maybe with getting 4 subs we could save even more which would justify getting them here.

Main thing is i don't see a contender here vs JTR i even did same calculation for PSA subwoofer getting directly form USA based on Jeff shipping - 3300$ TV36Ipal + 350$ shipping lets round it up to 3700$ = 2800£ ( rounded) + 20% VAT = 3500£ or even make it 4k£ but yet here i need to pay for it extra 1k/1.5k£, which makes me think i would rather go directly with JTR

I've reached out to few chaps over here who got JTR themselves

" So Cap 2400 with the 3200w amp in basically 3000 USD. Landed with everything it ended up costing me £2900. " " I paid £266 for import duty and tax based on 1500 usd value plus the shipping cost which was 150 or 250 usd "

"Captivator 2400ULF $2499
Custom finish $300
230V amp $200
Custom Grill $150
$3149 - 10% + $2843 special offer at the time. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Fedex Air shipping $657
Total $3500

The UK customs and clearance was approx £450.
All together the sub stood me at £2900. However two years ago the pound to the dollar stood at 1.40 but today it is at 1.25 so as well as pushing up the UK cost of the sub itself the customs clearance will be 10% higher so I would allow for £500. "

@DodgeTheViper hey buddy i think you can close this thread :smashin: don't see here anyone open minded

I'm sure there are still open minded members on here even if they haven't posted. Give it time and you'll hopefully get some more interest. Many years ago a powerbuy was one of the ways several of us got our hands on SVS subs as they weren't available in the UK directly.

Bear in mind Christmas and Brexit is looming so a new Sub might not be everyones top priority at the moment. ;)

Fully agree, not a top priority for me either at the moment. Created the thread to see if anyone would be interested in looking at the calculations for some time in the future, like myself. Don't see any harm for me and a couple of other to drop a couple of emails to Jeff and see what the situation would be before jumping to the conclusion that the tax/customs etc would be astronomical and not worth it.

Fully agree, not a top priority for me either at the moment. Created the thread to see if anyone would be interested in looking at the calculations for some time in the future, like myself. Don't see any harm for me and a couple of other to drop a couple of emails to Jeff and see what the situation would be before jumping to the conclusion that the tax/customs etc would be astronomical and not worth it.

Certainly no harm done, it's quite useful to see the figures. What works against us is the shipping weights. The old SVS cylinders weren't very heavy and you could get a few on a pallet thereby splitting the costs between several members.

The JTR's are heavy which is good for build quality but bad for shipping in quantity.

@DodgeTheViper hey buddy i think you can close this thread :smashin: don't see here anyone open minded

Slow down tiger, the thread hasn't even been up for two days yet :D That's not very long to expect people to make a decision on spending circa £3k and upwards, give it some time and just let the thread run.

And I don't think it has anything to do with not being open minded, certainly not by me - you should know that by now ;)

Comparing to what I paid for my PB16s, I don't think that price is too unreasonable for what you're getting. My only concern would be how the warranty would work.

I might be interested in 3 JTR 210RM's in the new year, not made my mind up which way to go yet.

JTR's or Ascendo's :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom