JS9000 replacement.....but what?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tricky-Ricky, Aug 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Just been informed that RS cannot get a replacement screen for the JS9000 so i will be contacted about a suitable replacement........and due to past problems with the last three Samsung TVs i am actually dreading it, i am very very weary of yet another Samsung, but will obviously be offered one,
    i expect something like the Q8, but i am now very shy of edge lit TVs due to light bleed problems with two of the Samsung's, so should i consider adding cash and go for the back lit Q8 which as i understand it uses only a 40LED array, or should i consider the Sony KD9005 which i believe has the same number of back lights, but only has two dedicated UHD/HDR inputs, and runs android,
    Or should i consider and LG OLED B7 or B8?

Trouble is i am used to the functionality of the Samsung's, i will obviously loose 3D, but i can live with that, but the JS9000 has a dual satellite tuner and positioner, will i still get these on any of the new sets, i also like the one connect box but i guess i may have to loose that too, any input appreciated.

2. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I went from a sammy 65HU7500 to an LG OLED 65e8.
    Went through 3 screen replacements with the Samsung.
    The picture on the LG is so clean - especially watching sports - no banding or clouding whatsoever.
    I got a partial refund on my TV from RS and a great deal on the E8 from another retailer.
    RS May give you a refund not a replacement.

3. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I have to agree, i went to that exact OLED from a JS8500... blown away.

4. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I think an LG E8 is going to be out as i really don't want to put much more cash into a deal, also just how much of a potential problem is screen burn going to be?
    Also looked at the LG 65KS950 which has backlight and FALD so could be and option, anyone got one?

5. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The C8 has exactly the same panel and PQ... E8 has the "glass on screen" look and inbuilt atmos speakers which is where the additional money goes.

General feeling is that screen burn hasn't been the issue that it was thought it might be...certainly with these later screens... They also do a pixel refresh thing when in standby after being on for 8 hours or so.

Read the review LG C8 (OLED65C8PLA) Review

The only issue i have is light reflecting off the screen, but i moved the wall my TV is mounted on when i bought the OLED... would it has been an issue with my JS8500?, is it the glass on screen element?..not sure, but it's incredible PQ when i close the blinds and still epic in daylight

6. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,913
    Is Richer Sounds handling the replacement or Samsung? My shop wiped their hands of my JS9000 replacement and left the ball firmly in Samsungs court. This was weeks ago and heard nothing from Samsung yet. I'm about to go nuclear on the shop and Samsung.

If it's the shop, then you have a great choice on replacement of course. But just bare in mind that because warranties now are ten a penny, but every shop has to offer them, they will not be written for your benefit, so the value RC will give may not be what your expecting. Saying that, the good thing about Samsungs ridiculous prices means you might get a higher offer since you'll be allowed to have a similar replacement from the same company

While I'm waiting for Shamsung to get back to me, I got a B7 65" for £1899 from RC. Best thing I've ever done....well *cough* in regard to TV purchases *cough* anyway. I've gone from requiring light in the room to get a decent picture to the exact opposite. The PQ is epic. Screen burn is a risk of course, but sensible viewing practice should keep the TV burn free. Honestly, I'm enjoying watching films again, especially HDR. Even at sub 1000 nit, the brights parts still have me squinting.

I dont know if it was the JS9000 or not, but there is a huge leap in DV titles on my Apple 4KTV. King KOng was an over saturated mess. Despicable Me 3 with the water scenes, the splashing water lost all detail. Everything now is spot on.

I dont think many TV's have dual sat now. Probably your best bet for that is the better QLED's with their OCB. But I'm not buying Shamsung anything every again, ever. POS company. If you don't fancy the OLED's mate, FALD is a must imo now. While the lack of zones throw up their own issues, I'd never have edge lit again.

The Sony is an excellent bet, even with a crappy OS. You can fix a crappy OS, you cannot fixed a $%!* TV.

7. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    My JS9000 is/was a great set dam good picture quality even in HDR...but I'm so sick of Samsung failures, seems like none of them last for more than a couple of years without giving trouble and frankly i expect more for my 2k+
    It hard to know just which way to go as you always hear about the bad rather than the good, i know i would probably be better off with OLED, but because of the fact that the TV is often on most of the day and often left on pause i obviously worry about screen burn, i have now started to look at LGs top super UHD set as its still LCD/LED with similar tech to Samsung but with FALD and as i am now very wary of edge lit TVs it may be the answer.....if they last.

8. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Having an OLED on most of the day shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure the content will be varied.
    Re the pausing, you may need to re-educate users not to leave on pause for long periods. I remember having to do this with the kids when I had my kuro plasma. I have not seen any image retention on mine over the last 2 weeks, the TV is on from 5pm-midnight.
    I got a refund of £900 from RS for my TV - You may get around £1.5k+ if you choose a refund as they give what the TV is worth at today's prices.. LG are doing £500 cashback on the 65E8 and you may be able to haggle one for £3k. The net cost to you could be as low as £1k - not bad for a 65in 2018 OLED?
    I did consider the FALD LG's but decided to get a set I wanted that was excellent rather than just settle for something less so.

9. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    The trouble is with OLED it would be the wife i would have to re educate......and i don't fancy my chances;)

10. wottaguy

wottaguy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Some advice would be lovely. My Samsung JS9000 is with Currys for repair. They have informed me it needs a new panel and a new one connect box too. When I bought the TV for £2700 three years ago, it was with the idea that I could just replace the one connect now and again to improve the TV but I'm not sure that was really possible?

Anyway, I'm not sure if Currys will get the parts and I'm worried what sort of voucher I will be looking at considering the price I paid (i'll never pay anywhere near that again, it nearly bankrupt me haha).

What sort of equivalent should I be looking at for the Samsung JS9000 and would I maybe be better going for something else, such as an LG OLED? Would screen burn be an issue considering I'm a big gamer? Any advice would be appreciated. TBH I wouldn't be too disappointed if they did fix the TV and I got it back again as I really like it, I just don't want anything inferior should I have to replace it.