Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

JS Technology & Sky Plus

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by triumph, Feb 23, 2005.

1. triumph

triumph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone used the JS Technology RGB to YUV converter with sky plus,
    if so are the improvements over s-video worth the £145 cost?

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Haven't tried comparing them on my projector but on the plasma the YUV gives a substantially better picture than the S-Video converter. If you are anywhere near me you would be welcome to try YUV converter and see for yourself.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    By definition Component will be a lot better than S-Video. YCbCr is nigh-on identical to RGB in terms of PQ. The S-Video converter works well enough when YCbCr isn't an option but is never the best choice.

4. jonrud

jonrud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I purchased my converter from www.cpc.co.uk it works fine excellent picture at nearly half the price approx £80.00 ordered one day delivered the next. Make sure you buy some good leads though they sell them as well. :smashin:

5. triumph

triumph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies,at present I am using s-video from my sky plus box and
    component RGB from DVD player to feed my pjtx 100,s-video quality is sad by
    comparison.
    What I propose, is to use the scart RGB output from sky plus into the JS converter
    and hence to the pj via component RGB,using my denon avr 3802 for switching.
    The question is, just how much improvement will the JS converter make,somewhere
    near the quality from DVD would make the £145 investment worthwhile, or am I
    being too optimistic?

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    You're being too optimistic! Sky won't match DVD quality, though if you go the whole hog and get a V1 Sky+ box modded for SDI and only watch the high bit-rate channels it does get very close to DVD quality once you have fed it through a scaler - but that wasn't what you asked :D :D

The JS Tech YUV converter will give a significant improvement and though I haven't tested the CPC offering I would be very surprised if it as good, though it is certainly cheap.

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Running the higher quality video connection is certainly worthwhile as far as I am concerned. The improvement will be to reduce noise on the signal (better cables will also improve this), colour strength/accuracy, and picture sharpness. What it will not improve are issues relating to the Sky broadcast such those annoying "blocky" compression errors and where the image is "soft" due to the original recording. In all it is a quite worthwhile upgrade.

8. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My projector (Sim2 30H) can take 4 connection component RGB (as well as 3 connection YUV) and the manual states that I can get a scart to 4 connector lead. Would this be much better than S-Video? Has anyone tried it?
    Thx

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Yes and yes AndyR! Well worth getting a decent lead made up for this too, no point in getting higher quality connection then throwing it down the pan with nasty cabling! However when you do this you use up your component video input which would be required for progressive scan DVD...

10. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam. You're right - I'm using component from my DVD which is why i'm using s-video from sky+. I hope to be getting an HDMI dvd player later in the year, so I'll upgrade then. Good to know the SKy+ picture will be better - so thanks for the reply. Even s-video is much better than i was expecting - and that's on an 8 foot screen!