1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA and LCD TFT

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gunrock, May 12, 2003.

1. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I need to downsize my PC's current monitor to a 17 inch LCD TFT (as I'm losing my study for our forthcoming baby) and also must get one capable of playing my console games on.

I have my eye on the very pretty (and seemingly capable) Acer AL732 which has Analog VGA, DVI, Svideo and Composite inputs.

What I want though is to not lose my RGB output from my XBox, Gamecube, Dreamcast and PS1 consoles. As I hook up my PC using DVI, I was wondering whether the JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA would work on a LCD TFT panel. I know that it doesn't do scaling, but I'm under the impression that the Acer LCD will do that for me (and from what info I can gather it does it quite well).

Can Dr John or anyone else tell if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I don't really want to get a scaler (well, not unless it has RGB scart input).

Many thanks for your time

Steve a.k.a Gunrock

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Acer (and almost all other LCDs) have a horizontal frequency range of 30+KHZ. Any RGB converter will only throw out 15.625KHZ from UK digiboxes etc and hence will not work. To check other monitors, get a copy of the pdf (manufacturers website) as they nearly always mention the input frequencies there...

3. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Aha! I see you're right. I had assumed that because it's got a SVideo and Composite inputs it may have handled lower frequencies. What a bummer! My reason for avoid a scaler such as the ProV+ is the fact that it only takes a SVideo or Composite input and not RGB. Having said that, Liam, what is the VGA in port on the ProV+ for?

Ta for the input, I expect I'll be seeing you on Saturday at the showcase.

Steve

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    VGA port is for RGB pass-thru. If you're keeping you're PC hooked up to the monitor the graphics card would connect there (except in your case with DVI where it wouldn't!).

I was about to suggest a Neovo but again, the ones with component inputs (so you can convert RGB to YUV) don't have DVI, and the ones with DVI (as you might have guessed by now) don't have component inputs!

5. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    S'Funny you should say that as I'm still very enamoured with the Neovo F-317, as I've heard nothing but good things about them (except the thread the other day regarding scaling issues). If I went for one, I could always put my PC back to Analog VGA.

I know you are a very busy man with a lot on his plate at the moment, but do you think you may have a Neovo with a console connected at the showcase? You could show off the picture in picture features, and if it was an Xbox you hooked up you could show DVD's when the masses are looking at it.

Once again, thanks for your input.

Steve

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just to confirm that the RGB to Plasma VGA unit would not be suitable for the LCD monitor. You need 15kHz support, which many plasma screen can handle. This is good for plasmas as you can get an excellent picture via the Plasma VGA unit but little help for PC monitor users!

I did have a look at a device for the XBox which allowed you to use a PC monitor and to be frank, it was guff. Other devices may be better, but the one I tried was specific for allowing video games to be connected to monitors. Therefore, I'd say if you've got S-Video input an RGB to S-Video converter may be the better option.

Another option for just games play is to get a lead specific to the games machine. While Microsoft don't do it, others have S-Video leads available. I'm sure the same is true with the PS/2, although no such lead exists for the Gamecube (or so I believe).

PS/1 and Dreamcast I'm not sure about. For the RGB converter to work you'd need RGB. So you might have to use composite for these.

Pitty the Dreamcast didn't take off as it was an impressive games machine.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I recently purchased a Grundig 17" LCD widescreen 'television', which has excellent picture quality and 1280x768 resolution.

It will accept your PC via VGA; and has component, svideo, composite and RF to cover your consoles.

You can even do Picture-in-Picture so you can work on PC and view television via RF tuner if you wish.

PS/1 and Dreamcast both have RGB scart output, so you could use JS-Tech RGB2svideo converter. I loved my Dreamcast, sad that Sega failed again.

I use 17" widescreen LCD for Sky digital FTA via JS-Tech RGB2YUV and the picture quality is awesome.

At £700 this option is more expensive that 17" LCD monitor, but when you add the price of converters for consoles it may be worth considering. It's a thought anyway.

StooMonster

8. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks to all for your input.

It's tricky trying to find an LCD that you can use for both PC and console gaming, but thinking about it, it hasn't really been possible until recently (not since the Amiga era multiscans went the way of the arc), so I shouldn't complain.

Stoo: I've been thinking along similar lines with the LG widescreen (the RZ17LZ10), which can be picked up for a fairly reasonable price (around 535 quid). The only trouble is I've seen it playing back "The Mummy 2" (via composite albeit) and it didn't look too impressive especially on the scenes in the dark. I am trying to find out from LG if the Scart input is RGB, and I've no idea what the response time is, as it's curoiusly absent from the LG site and owners manual...

So I'm still in a dilemma and finding a retailer that will hook up a console using RGB scart so I can see for myself, is difficult.

Steve

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yes, RF and composite video are not that hot on Grundig either, well just okay; but component video is fantastic.

I looked at all the LCD 17" widescreens available in UK, and IMO Grundig has "best in class" picture. It really is excellent via component input and VGA.

It's definately worth a viewing.

StooMonster

10. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When you say component do your YUV phono/bnc or do you mean scart? The Curry's site says it has Scart and the Grundig site doesn't seem to list the device.

Steve

11. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Stoo,

[I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full]

I can't find any information on the Grundig other than waht's on the Curry's site. Grundig's own site doesn't seem to cary any info. Is it a rebranded monitor? If so, do you know who by? I'm very interested in it for the component inputs, but the cost of the monitor and Dr John's RGB to YUV box is making me reluctant.

Cheers

Steve

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Sorry, PM box now empty.

The Grundig has component video -- three RCAs -- the Currys and Dixon's website incorrectly say that it has scart and/or RGB.

Video input connections are:
    Component YUV
    s-video
    Composite
    VGA

I have an JS-Tech RGB2YUV for Sky digibox, there are other cheaper ones available. Alternative is to get LCD that accepts RGB through scart, and most of them do.

Settings on LCD screens can vary picture a lot, I fine-tuned and with YUV input the picture is excellent (and I'm very picky about picture quality). Without changing setting, it can look a bit too dark; too much contrast is default.

Oh, and Grundig went bust a few weeks ago; which is partly why price dropped from £1400ish to £700.

StooMonster

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Stoo,

I'm very interested in getting one of these Grundig 17" LCD TVs. I saw one in action today being fed a composite :rolleyes: DVD signal and was quite impressed with the set's black level. Have you tried your's fed with an NTSC DVD component signal? Do you know if it will accept a progressive scan signal? Any help appreciated.

Steve

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Phew, just finished lugging equipment about to test -- meant to do this earlier so I would know, but your question prompted me.

Component interlaced NTSC works like a dream, again a great picture.

Progressive NTSC, nope. Doh! Forgot to test progressive PAL, but I'm guessing that it's a no goer.

This could work via VGA port, I could've tested my iScan Ultra with this; but it was getting a bit silly unplugging cables. I plan to move all my AV kit soon -- only half a metre to one side, but will still need to unplug it all -- I'll give iScan Ultra a go through Grundig.

Don't discount because it doesn't accept a progressive signal through component input though, the built in prog-scan is actually very good. Certainly much better than the built in one on my Panny5 50" plasma. When I am on Sky News (via YUV) I can clearly see the Chroma Bug in pin sharp detail, where as on plasma's built in it was blurred.

A consideration though, is that any inbuilt prog-scan on a 1280x768 screen will look great at 17" but could look poor on a 42" screen. But it's on a 17" screen, and it looks crystal clear; Sky digital via component looks fantastic, none of the anomolies and artefacts of large screens.

StooMonster

15. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Stoo,

Thanks very much for all your testing. It sounds like I shall get a great picture from my R1 Panasonic A-310 playing through the component input. It seems like the Grundig doesn't have any competition in this category of TV. :smashin:

Steve

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm with Stoo on this, as another Grundig owner. I was going to suggest that you look for LCD TVs with computer inputs as screens that might do your 15Khz or at least SVideo. My Grundig TV is now my WS computer monitor and it is very bright and very contrasty :)