1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS tech RGB to VGA or RGB to YUV?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by docfeelgood, Jan 11, 2005.

1. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I'm in the process of buying a Panny PWD6 (as many others seem to be!).

My question is simple.

To connect via the vga port I can buy a JS tech RGB to VGA converter or a RGB to YUV (component) converter (plus additional lead). The price diff is about 25 quid or so.

I want to clarify the advantages / disadvantages of each solution.

I understand that the RGB to VGA will maintian aspect ratio switching whereas the RGB to YUV does not.

However, I have also read that the RGB to VGA option does not allow as much tweakability as RGB to YUV.

It's this 'tweakability' I'm concerned about.

Exactly what do you lose in terms of picture (or any other) control when the RGB to VGA option is taken. If I can find find out the extent of the restrictions I can make an informed decision.

best regards as always

Docf.

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

Both options retain the various aspect mode options.

The VGA option does not allow you to adjust colour saturation, the component option does.

I don't know about the quality differences as I have not used the JS RGB->Component converter.

Steve

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You should not need the colour tweaks, and in any case control is retained in the service menu. For STB, ie sky, freeview etc the concensus is that PQ is marginally better with the VGA option, but we are splitting hairs here. Neither of them retain AUTO aspect control, both allow remote aspect control. Most go the VGA route, unless you have a component switching AV amp, and a component DVD player as well as STB, and maybe games console with component. Then the component version comes into it's own, allowing simple, concurrent audio and video switching.