1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS tech RGB to VGA on Hitachi 400?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by franc, Jun 7, 2003.

1. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just wanted to know if the JS RGB-VGA box works on the newer hitachi plasma screens? I believe the scan frequency is higher in the hitachi's( 24) rather than the (15) that is needed for the boxes to function. Anyone?

regards FRANC

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are right, I think. The only solution is to use the component converter, or alternatively buy a plasma that is properly specced, not a fujitsu cast off. The component converter works very well though, just as good as vga, just uses up a useful input.

3. leigh h

leigh h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Franc
    You are correct abought the vga converter it wont work on the Hitachi.

This screen has the best connection possible for a plasma monitor I have mine connected Sky - scart to RGB composite sync, this gives you sky in rgb then if you have your video scarted in to the sky box all you do is press av1 on the Hitachi controller and this changes the input from rgb to composite so you can then watch your video.
    Then both the computer d subs are rgb but can be configured for component so I have my dvd component out to computer d subs.
    Then my x box I bought a high definition pack from mx2 and use the other component computer input.
    All these do not need any converter boxes or sync blaster cables and I bought all my cables for less than a sync blaster lead or John syms box.

4. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    In case anyone takes MAWs throw away comment about "fujitsu castoffs" seriously Hitachi and Fujitsui jointly own the production facility that makes the ALIS screens for both companies and Sony amongst others.

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For the Hitachi screen, best to use the RGB to Component converter. Since Hitachi's line frequency doesn't start until 24kHz, and not 15kHz like the Panasonic and other screens, the Plasma VGA route is not open to you. Component is still a very good format.

Some screens won't require a converter, but this is often at the expense of other inputs. You may have to combine two just to get the one type of input. To open up your options again, then you must consider external interface units. And if you do decide to add something such as an iScan, then you'll want to convert the RGB output from digital TV to component to get the best out of the scaler.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.