1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS Tech adaptor, worth the money?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by spook, Nov 11, 2004.

1. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I am just about to mount my PWD6 on the wall, with buried cables etc, so the big question before I commit myself (buried cables wise) is:

Now I have read the many posts evengelising about this JS gizmo,
    but is the JS Tech adaptor (scart RGB to VGA) worth what amounts to another couple of hundred quid including decent VGA lead etc?

I would be using it with Sky+

I have to say the PQ I get with my Tech link Scart ribbon is pretty damn good with the Sky+ box set to RGB.

Now I know how good a picture the PWD6 can produce as my Panny 55 DVD player via component is better without question than my Sky+ PQ
    but here's the big question:
    is this more to do with Sky's compression compared to a well produced DVD? or is it genuinely down to the difference in the connection to the PWD6?

I know there are many here very happy with their JS Tech adaptor boxes, but are there any of you that didn't really see much of a difference (with Sky especially)?

cheers, Spook

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There certainly is a difference, but if you are happy with the scart, fine. It's not perfect, neither does it stink. It's failings are occasionally exadgerated! The JS box is a broadcast quality component, you pay the price. The drawback of scart is that it doesn't work well on longer runs, and the cable needs to be quite big, the signal is not that robust, and these big shielded scarts cost serious money. You will clearly be burying a component cable, consider a component switching amp and the JS component converter, it'll add convenience to your system as well as better picture quality. A VGA cable needn't cost more than say £30, I'd put one in anyway, you never know when it might be useful, for a PC, a scaler, and it can carry component video to a PW6.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    a SVGA cable needn't cost more than a tenner
    Belkin High Integrity Pro from ebuyer.co.uk

The Js box is better than the SCART terminal board, but not £125 better.
    If you don't have a SCART board, then buy one, if you already own the SCART then don't bother.

4. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I agree with PJ. I got the JS AND a Scart board as my freebie on PW7. I dont really know why I got both tbh but it does allow me to compare the Scart board using a £40 IXOS Scart and my JS converter using the £15 Belkin lead from ebuyer. Both from Sky+. Absolutely no difference to my eye. Both are very nice pictures.
    I tend to use the Auto colour setting of the Panny PW7. It has a bit of a green tint to it but it is smooth and the 'cleanest' picure from the lot (I like the CRTish gloss like quality of the Auto setting).

Given the option again I'd save the money and use just the scart or a cheaper adaptor.
    Things may be different if you spend £60 on the VGA lead but I feel I've spent enough for one month to bother trying that.

5. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why not just buy a VGA cable and channel it in, if in a few wks/Months/YRs you decid eyou want to use it its there, this is what i did and managed a few wks b4 i bought a JS box :)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You want to get a full house in there while you can, when we do installs we put in a 5 core shielded thing, then put plugs on it later when we know what we are going to do. It's also only a few quid a metre, it's the plugs that cost! 5 cores is component video and s-video (picture in picture?) RGB and sync, or comonent and composite etc, you name it. Works for me. I almost always put in a VGA for insurance, you can always strip it and wire it to different plugs!

7. LCDRulz

LCDRulz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No doubt I'm going to tread on a few toes here :p

I really think JS Tech stretches the truth a little by calling this box an RGB to VGA converter.

Technically it's an RGB to CGA converter ie. the Horizontal frequency is 15KHz (ie. Interlaced) (ie. PAL). The horizontal frequency for VGA is 31 KHz (non interlaced or 'progressive') for a 640x480 res. This is why this box won't work with most VGA Projectors and Monitors - they expect the usual 31KHz horizontal (or above for higher resolutions) ie. 15 KHz is too low for them to sync.

Another downside is of course that the vertical frequency is only 50Hz, most plasmas are capable of higher refresh rates than this. So, the JS box is purely a sync separator - a very good one obviously.

So to summarise the JS box gives you:

PAL Resolution of 720x576 (ie PW6 scales up to PW6 native res)
    Vertical Refresh of 50 Hz
    Horizontal frequency of 15 KHz ie. Interlaced output (50i)
    Separated H & V Syncs (derived from Composite sync)

Is it worth it?

Well there's not that many RGB to VGA converters about, but there are plenty of RGB sync separators. Many sync separators are based on the EL1881 integrated circuit, which costs around 25p. I believe the JS box is built from discrete components, which means it's a Rolls Royce of Sync separators – albeit a very costly one.

I guess the only thing that puts me off is calling it something it's not - it's not an RGB to VGA converter ! (IMHO)

(I ‘ve now donned my concrete underpants - so kick away all you like :p )

Roy

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The worst we can accuse you of is pedantry. It certainly is a sync separator. I wouldn't call it a rolls royce, more like an audi RS4, even an idiot gets results with one. It copes with dubious sources, it's 100% reliable. True VGA converters in this price range only accept s-video and composite, they are visibly not as good. You have to go to an iscan ultra before you improve on it, and they you'll be needing a component converter. The others, based on the 25p chip are a rip off, not the JS. They are charging £50-100 for the 25p chip after all. The JS is the choice of professionals, you could have the confidence to build it in.

9. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having compared another sync separator and a JS box back to back last week, I can say that the JS box gives a picture quality which is vastly superior. Whether it is better than a scart connection, I dont know as I don't have a scart board to do the comparison.

10. LCDRulz

LCDRulz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After savouring the stunning output on the pw6 when I feed it a true VGA signal 1024x768 at 75Hz Vertical, 60KHz Horizontal (progressively) I feel loathe to send it anything less (particularly a 50i signal a la JS).

I can appreciate why dealers like the JS Box, it easy to use becuase it bound to work with almost any plasma. True VGA coverters can be a handful to setup. Matching the output to the screen requires a user to read and understand the screen specs and if your using an OSD to set it up you've had it if you go out of range :zonked: ie. JS box is a 'sell and forget' solution. A true VGA convertor is a 'sell and wait for the calls' solution !

Roy

11. Dicky T

Dicky T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently experiencing video delay from my Sky+ to PW7. By using the JS converter will I reduce the amount of converting the plasma will have to do and therefore solve this problem ?

12. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While I've got no way of comparing, I'm very happy with the component board that came with my PW6 from eBuyer - bought a 30 quid S-Video cable, 5m long and it was much easier to get behind plasterboard, picture quality from both Sky+ and my Sony DVD player are very very nice.

Am I missing something but why aren't more people just using a nice simple S-Video cable, it one nice wire to the plasma with a great Maplin switcher box which lets you do 4-1 S-video, can't fault the display I'm getting and I've moved from a Sony Wega 100hz telly! :)

Fedorov.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Dicky T, no it won't help lip sync, or not so you'd notice. I agree it might save a millisecond or so in processing. Your problem is common, AV amps often have an audio delay facility for this reason. Sometimes you cna fool it into audio delay by falsifying the speaker distances.
    Fedorov, S-video is not half bad on a PW6, it can be improved on, but it would cost you some money. You'd have to decide if it was worth it. You use that row of BNC connectors on the board, they can accept component video. Lots of AV amps will switch component video for you these days, DVD players offer this on 3 phono sockets, red blue and green. If yours has it it's better than s-video. Some set top boxes offer it, but others mostly do RGB on scart, for which you need a converter.

14. LCDRulz

LCDRulz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you connected at present ?

Roy

15. Dicky T

Dicky T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ is connected by S-video and the DVD by progressive scan component. I only seem to have the problem with Sky+.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A restart sometimes helps, turn off, unplug, and start again.

17. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roy.

What are you using to get your VGA signal at these higher rates? Are you using a scaler, if so, which one?

Is there a scaler on the Market that accepts (and outputs) on a VGA socket, in other words, using the JS RGB to VGA converter? :confused:

Thanks, Gerald :)

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Gerald, there's no need for a vga converter, Lumagen and DVDO scalers both accept RGB and sync, ie scart to 4 phono. Most will simply pass through a 'VGA' signal, if you have a scaler, cut out the middle man, go scart-scaler. I kind of resent Roy's intimation that I'd rather sell a JS box cos it's easy. I sell them to folks who can't stump up a grand for a scaler. The 'scaler/line doublers' like the briteview and the Pro-v just don't cut the mustard, a JS box is better. I like playing with the toys, but Roy, you are right to say the phone rings, I wish I could disable setup for some clients! As I'm a custom installer not a shop, I actually rarely sell a box, so I do the initial setup myself, or one of my guys. (no girls, they don't like it) It's the after sales fiddlers who cause the trouble.