JS RGB-VGA Converter problem

V

vblue

Having taken the advice from this forum I bought the RGB/VGA converter from JS for connecting to my PW6. Really glad I did as the PQ is superb. However, when I try and connect my camcorder, or my video, via the scart socket on the converter it doesn't seem to carry the picture. Can anyone tell me why, or what I can do to resolve?

The converter works fine when my Sky+ box is connected but not when I connect the camcorder or video. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

the camcorder and video are not using the RGB on the SCART
my guess is the camera is sending s-video and the VHS is sending composite.
neither of which will work as inputs to the JS box
If you have a SCART terminal board in the panny, that will accept the camera and VHS.

I have exactly the same problem and would also like some advice. I think I know what the answer is and that is that neither your VCR or Video Camera will output in RGB and therefore the JS Convertor doesn't recognise the signal. Would appreciate confirmation of this any any way that this can be bypassed.

Tony8377 said:
I have exactly the same problem and would also like some advice. I think I know what the answer is and that is that neither your VCR or Video Camera will output in RGB and therefore the JS Convertor doesn't recognise the signal. Would appreciate confirmation of this any any way that this can be bypassed.

That is the exact reason. The converter will only do RGB to VGA and nothing else.

G

Have the video connected in through the Scart terminal board on the panny normally. however, what I wanted to do is be able to connect the camcorder and the video at the same time, so that using PiP can compare two different movies of my kids. Any way to get round this?

Cheers

buy the compsoite board? get a DVD recorder? Purchase a really cheap scaler like the ProV S/H one pop up... also a Iscn pro will do a similar job suggest you use the S-video and composite board and either a ProV on VGA or if Camcorder is digital get a DVD recorder like the panny E65 and use digital connection
http://www.av-sales.com/html/zinwell_prov200.html would be ideal really but will mean both through VGA

buy a VCR that can output RGB (about £90)
or
buy a DVD recorder that will convert from s-video/composite to RGB
(philip dvdr70 and 75 can both do this at £105/£165)
or
not sure if panny 55 Dvd recorder will do this but they are going for £155 at the moment

I really don't want to spend any money (not as much a processor or scart board) on this as I have TiVo and just want to use the tuner in the VCR for occasional TV watching when there are two things on. I think the cheapest way for me is to just buy a second freeview box - anyone know where I can get one for about £20 that will output in RGB?

pjclark1 said:
buy a VCR that can output RGB (about £90)
Where the hell can you get an RGB VCR????? Daewoo did make a FV VCR which might output RGB but VHS is composite only a Panny E55 should be ideal
£20 RS, Cash converters, perhaps an ex ITV digital box but get a brand new for £40 mate.....

pjclark1 said:
any VCR that advertises it can play NTSC (via SCART) has RGB out.
(I was using a fergusson with RGB out until I broke it)

As far as I'm aware there are no current VCR's that can output an RGB signal. While the VCR's in your link will all play NTSC, they will only do so in composite (or s-video if any of them are S-VHS).

There was a video from Philips in the early 90's that outputted RGB, and also one from Thompson (I think :confused: ) in about 1999. If your old Ferguson also had RGB out, then it was one of only a very select few models and it's virtually certain you won't find one with this feature again.

pjclark1 said:
any VCR that advertises it can play NTSC (via SCART) has RGB out.
nope still just composite............ I have never ever seen a VHS VCR with RGB output VHS standard is composite video and regionall dependant on PAL NTSC SECAM....................
http://electronics.howstuffworks.co...m&url=http://www.lionlmb.org/quad/theory.html I have just read more than i ever wanted to know about NTSC VCR's and analogue recording formats........... no mention of RGB....... S-video yes but not the RGB colourspace format besides was your fergusson RGB VCR RGsB or RGBS????

Just another thought.

I think the JS converter box also has to be fed a composite signal in order for it to be able to extract sync pulse timing. Certainly the RGB to Component converter has this requirement, I know as I came up against this recently, after manageing to get my DV79 to output RGB progressive scan. It was to no avail as the DV79 puts the sync on the green while the Sky box puts the RGB sync on the composite signal. I was buggered and could still not feed both to my Panny plasma in RGB. Had to plump for component in the end.

Cheers, Gerald. :eek:

Just to confirm that the RGB to Plasma VGA unit does require a composite sync. It's because the standard for SCART is to have clean RGB lines and a separate timing signal. It's a very effective system.

The problem is then with equipment which doesn't output RGB, such as VCRs. Most already have a terminal board with a video/composite input, and this is what should be used. Don't worry that you're not getting RGB quality - it's not there with a VCR to start with!

As for the NTSC VCR, I need one that has the correct colour carrier so that I can transfer some USA tapes to my DVD recorder.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

I used my Fergusson VCR along with a video stabiliser (macrovision remover)
to record NTSC tapes to my Philips Dvdr75 Dvd recorder and it worked perfectly.

Most of the VCRs advertised at NTSC playback, do not output NTSC composite
or s-video as this would require stripping and remodulating the colour sub carrier
(fairly hard to do) RGB Cs does not require any signal alteration and so can play
NTSC straight into a TV that will accept NTSC on SCART.

I'd like to transfer some tapes, but when I say some, it's about four. Not worth buying extra kit for. What I found was my DVD recorder could see the picture, but only in B&W. Indicating a colour carrier problem, which is one of the main differencies between PAL and NTSC.

All the best,

John.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom