1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS RGB to VGA Vs RGB to YUV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PannyAdams, Mar 7, 2005.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Currently my video goes into my Plasma (Panny PW7) by 3 separate inputs:

Pio 868 (Soon to be Denon 2900) DVD - Component
    Sky+ (and PS2 Chained) - RGB (Via JS RGB to VGA box)
    HTPC - VGA

I have also just bought a Denon 2805 Amp that has 3 Component ins and 1 Component out. So I was thinking about taking the plunge and going for video switching through the Denon 2805.

The DVD is already component, I was going to trade the JS RGB->VGA for a JS RGB->YUV box for the Sky+ and finally get the ATI Component Dongle for my 9600 ATI Graphics card. So I have a few questions that haven't been answered by a search:

1. Will I lose or gain image quality switching through the Denon 2805.

2. Has anyone tried the JS RGB -> VGA and the JS RGB -> YUV? Is one better than the other?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    1. technically yes, but not so you would notice. I'd defy anyone to tell if the video was being switched by an amp or not.
    2. Yes, it's commonly known that the VGA picture is very slightly brighter, more vibrant, but there is nothing at all wrong with the component picture.

3. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Panny, for what its worth, I have a Denon 2900 and Sky via RGB>YUV into my Denon 2805, then switched out via component into my PW7. I am delighted with the PQ on all fronts. I did try the 2900 direct to component on the PW7 and I couldn't see any difference from when it went via the 2805.

Just my 0.02p.