1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS RGB to VGA problems.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Educated Guess, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    After much deliberating decided to get the RGB to VGA box from a member of the forum. Arrived this morning.
    Just cant get it set up. Theres no picture from the Sky box to the panel via the JS and VGA socket with a £50.00 QED scart lead, but if I change it for a 3p freebie one I do get a picture....but it's red? I have had my PC plugged into the screen before and that's all came out alright at a high resolution.
    Tried the JS box on my Denon 2800 DVD player with the QED and I do get a decent picture (not a lot better than component) but the top 20% of the screen is cut off.
    Theres not a lot of additional settings to try, I might just have to conceded that my panel is not compatible. Any suggestions?

Normal Sky box set to RGB out.
    Panasonic TH-50PHW30.

2. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is your sky box set 2 rgb
    wont work unless it is
    jim

3. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yeh...first thing I double checked.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    your '3p' cable probably isn't rgb, but your QED should be....is it a new cable?..

5. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Fairly new. It's a QED Sqart Dual Screen Silver Reference. RGB-no sound. Brought it about two years ago, used it once on my old TV.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    and is it def carrying an rgb signal whenyou connect it to the dvd player?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello John Martucci

The RGB SCART Only cable is directional - switch it around and you'll get an image; there's usually a little collar with an arrow on showing the direction the signal will 'flow' through the cable.

Best regards

Joe

8. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    OK, making some progress thanks to everyone.
    The scart lead is of course directional (doh!). Switched it around and now get a picture from Sky, thats good. The pictures though is red, that's bad! The picture is also shifted down with about a tenth of the screen missing from the top leaving a black band.
    Even tried another VGA lead of my PC, just in case, same picture.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have you set the panny to accept RGB, not YUV............... also amy need to use picture resize position

10. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi Horny
    The VGA set up menu on my Panasonic doesn't have an option for RGB or YUV, thats only comes up on the AV input menu (I have a component board used for DVD).
    The only options for the VGA input are Syn, Pull-in Range, Clamp position. Tried adjusting all these.
    I know the VGA input works well as I've used my PC on the plasma before.
    Not a lot more I can adjust. Might be worth swapping for a JS Component box as there are more adjustments to the inputs on that menu.
    What do you guys think?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i knoe it works fine on 4 series onwards try changing sync to CS and H & V you dont want sync on "green" al;so check the JS site and try an email to Dr John him self.....it may be possible you have a duff unit a pink image is normally what you see if you get RGB and YUV mixed up...seems to be syncing if image is stable but off colour one other thing is that the colour adjusment on the poanel may be screwed so try a PC again if possible

12. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Horny

If i have the Sync on green I don't get a picture. The pull in range doesn't seem to do anything, neither does Clamp position. thats all there is to change. Works OK from the dvd Player although as you sugested earlier I have to resize and move the picture around.
    The panel is just over two years old so maybe it just isn't compatible. I'll sent JS a mail.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ok so DVD player on RGB scart to JS RGB>VGA works? if so i would put my money 99% ona faulty/dodgy sky box (as RGB scart uses a composit sync a normal scart on a telly will often drop down to composite and display a picture, in composite while you think you have RGB, try another Sky box if possible)

14. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    What you say makes sense, the Sky box is about five years old. Unfortunately I don't have another sky box to test the JS on. I am looking to uprgrade to Sky plus end of next month so I might just hang out and wait to use it with the new box.
    Is there anyway of testing whether my existing Sky Box is outputting RGB or Composite?

15. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Got this reply from Dr John Sim at JS this afternoon:

''the only times we get a pure red picture is when RGB is not correctly being connected to the converter. The fact that there is a picture does suggest that the box is functioning and that the screen should be compatible. Because the DVD player works via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, we've got to look at why we're not getting RGB output from Sky.

I'd suggest rebooting Sky by switching it off for a minute. When powered back up, ensure that you're using the TV output and not the VCR SCART socket. Only one of these supports RGB video. Next, ensure that RGB is switched on and save the settings. Don't press the TV button as this disables RGB output, but it can easily be re-enabled by pressing the Sky button. Finally, try a different SCART lead between Sky and our converter.''

Will give it a try later, the kids will lynch me if i fiddle about with the set anymore.
    Anyone know about the new Sky + Box with component out? If it's imminent it might be worth me waiting.

16. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Cracked it!
    The solution was elegantly simple. I had the Scart lead plugged into the wrong output on the Digibox (the non RGB one). Yeh, and It took me all day before I thought 'I'll just try swapping that around'. Man do i feel stupid!
    The JS box does indeed make for a sharper cleaner picture. Even my wife was impressed by how much brighter and vibrant the Sky digital menu was, before it was dull with that awful shimmering around any selected text, that all went.
    The programs are a different matter. Had my old composite lead plugged in alongside the VGA cable to switch between the two for a direct comparison. I was expecting a huge improvement given I was previously connected from Sky with the worst possible method. I was slightly disappointed. The picture is obviously a better resolution, again sharper and brighter but not the leap in improvement I had expected. It also took on a rather clinical prossesed look. Yes I know Sky's picture quality is awful anyway and the JS Box is just gagging for a better signal.
    Yes it's better by a small percent and to some people striving for small nominal improvements to their system it's a justifiable expense in terms of time and money.I'm glad I done it just for peace of mind knowing that I've got probably the best connection method. You always think, should I have spent more on that lead.
    Worth the money. To be honest probably not especially with Sky as it is at the moment (as we know, garbage in garbage out!). If you've already got a good RGB or SVHS input then I'd think twice, if money isn't an issue then you might as well go for it!
    Thanks for everyones input.

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello John

Its probably about now you need to dig out the User manual for your Display and start to have a play with the Video settings - you should be seeing a marked improvement with RGBHV over Composite from SKY.

You may want to consider having your Display professionally calibrated by an ISF engineer.

Best regards

Joe

PS Set 'Contrast' to Low on your Digibox set up screen.

18. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm the guy who sold the JS box to John, so I'm glad its all working now!

Joe, you recommend setting contrast to "Low" on the Sky box. Is that a general recommendation? I've always used medium, for no particular reason....

Cheers
    Chris