1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS RGB to VGA Convertor

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bakero, Nov 15, 2004.

1. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The maplins one likely will be bats do's, why not get a component kit for £29.95 and connect it to the VGA port with another £25 worth of cable, 3 phono to 15pin sub d.

3. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not a fan of that Maplin box then MAW ??!!

Is that a specific component kit for the PS2? - if so I suppose an advantage of the JS (or Maplin) box would be the possibility to run more than one input in (I could then have the possibility of Xbox and/or PC as well)

Would your suggestion give any noticeable (to an obvious novice) quality difference to the JS box ? Are you quoting 29.95 from Maplin - I can't seem to find it on a search...!

Thanks
    Dave.

4. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd also guess the Maplin box is likely to give a pretty poor picture. You're going to end up scaling the image twice I think, once from whatever the playstion normally sticks out (320x200?) and then from the 800x600 of the device to the 480 lines of the screen. This is probably going to end up fairly smudged. Plus the box can't take an RGB input so you're already compromising on the quality to start with.

JS box would work well but costs. You can always use a scart switch before the JS box to get more inputs, although this won't sort a PC out.

I'd second using the PS2 component kit to the VGA socket, or better still the component inputs if you have them and they're unused.

Nick

5. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicky,

I've got the dual slot component board, which will take input from sky+ via the panasonic E85 DVD. I want the PS2 to use the VGA as that way I can have sky and PS2 on the screen at the same time using picture in picture.

Sounds like the component kit at £30 is a better bet than £110 for the JS box (both + cost of leads of course) as I'm already spending more than I'd hoped originally! (still making a decision on speakers/amp due to price!)

I'll have a look round for the component kit now.

Thanks
    Dave

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's a PS2 part, amazon is your easiest source.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    or play.com
    always cheaper than Amazon