1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS RGB to VGA box - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gussie, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

I will be getting a TH-42PWD7 as soon as they become available.

Also I'm thinking of getting the JS RGB to VGA box aswell - because in the opinion of many people here it's the best way of getting multiple RGB sources via a Quintro box (which I already have) to the Plasma.

Is this JS box any good?

I have now seen three very recent posts that question this?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1279319 - Flickering image

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1280377 - PS2 incompatibility

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1274332 - Green Tinted image

Now these may be isolated issues of some other cause.

BUT before I splash out on £100 or so on one of these boxes, I'd like to know if anyone out there is really happy with their JS box?

OR would it be reasonable to consider the Panasonic supplied RGB interface at roughly the same price? And yes I am aware of the issue of a slight difference in PQ - is the Panasonic RGB module really that bad ?

Also, the Panasonic RGB module would offer auto widescreen switching and auto signal type detection (composite, s-video and RGB) - none of which are offered through the JS box.

I really want to avoid any chances of image flicker or odd colours!

BTW I will be getting the Component SVHS Composite Dual Slot BNC - so I will have one slot spare.

Many thanks for any replies.

Gussie :)

2. kron

kron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    All i can say is the JS box must produce a far superior picture to that of the scart given all the positive reviews for it , yet the problems you mention in your post particularly the inability to properly adjust colour must be a mare especially footy, ie.. champions league - Arsenal , Man U...with those over saturated reds ,it's not great now even on my 32" Wega.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I got em both, and you will never be able to tell between em.
    Some peeps like the auto aspect switching of the SCART terminal board
    but as you using a Quintro, that will be lost anyway
    (Quintro doesn't output enough volts to switch panny scart terminal properly)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Gussie

Just to be clear on the post you've linked too:

Post 01 - this thread is discussing the JS Technology Master SCART controller not the RGB2VGA converter.

Post 02 - it looks like papachumba may have a problematic RGB2VGA converter (though equally it could be something else in the system - requires more investigation) and Davej50 still has his problems with his Master SCART Controller; not an RGB2VGA converter.

Post 03 - the problems occurring on this thread look like they are completely independent of the JS Technology converter as they are also apparent with a Laptop and YUV signals from other sources.

There are hundreds of very satisfied JS Technology customers on these Forums and if someone does have a problem Dr John at JS Technology is usually on hand to remedy them.

Best regards

Joe

5. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I agree with Joe but imho it all depends as ever.
    I had a bit of a green tint but helpful advice here sorted that. It prob was my settings and not the JS box. The Sky+ picture is lovely and clean. It is not however infinitely better than just the scart board (which I tried also). The reason I've gone with JS is coz my 37" PW7 only has VGA + 2 board slots. So now VGA via JS for Sky+, Slot 1 for intermediate DVD player/Xbox via component and Slot 2 for HDMI (when avail) when I upgrade to a DVD player with this output which works wonderfully (and proven) with PW7. (I'm sure thisforum will tell me that moment).
    So its another slot for £120 which aint bad and it keeps the Sky signal beautiful.

The only time I'd think of doing it differently is on PW6 where you could use VGA as your Component slot with suitable cable (no box needed) and take scart as free board for Sky+. May not be quite as clean as JS route but you save £120 and get the same connection options.