Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

JS RGB to Component for 434 plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Costas, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Having connected the 868 player to the 434 plasma through HDMI
    I thought I will employ a JS RGB to YUV converter to utilise the freed component connection on the media receiver and move my freeview from RGB to Component for improvement.

I know all the good comments and inputs and respect for all JS products as described in the forum BUT I was so very unpleasantly surprised to see no improvement at all. In fact it was just the opposite. The picture became softer less defined and lifeless taking away the vivid distinction of the various shades in the image.

I even tried with my neighbour's latest Panasonic plasma and his Skyplus box and the result was unfortunately the same. I am going to return the product forced to ask for a full refund.

I know that perhaps a better result could have been achieved with the RGB to VGA converter but I would at least expected a little improvement from a £145 converter and definitely not a deterioration.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Costas, there is no reason on God's earth why a YUV converter would miraculously 'improve' a sky picture. The VGA would be no better, even if it worked with your plasma, which is not likely. You can't add information to the signal with a converter box, and in fact RGB is, very theoretically, better than YUV, just the connection that isn't, and you haven't got around that, you need to connect the converter with scart, then use a high quality component cable to connect to your component inputs. Get your refund, but think again before sounding off about it being no good, it's simply not put to an appropriate use on your plasma, you already have a scart socket for freeview, it's as good as it gets without a scaler.

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Many Thanks for the input. What you say sounds absolutely right but I think I was influenced by some inputs. By the way, I did try 4 different quality component cables (Russ Andrews, QED, Ixos, Monster Cable)

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Costas,

The converter is only designed to convert the signal, not improve it. It is not a scaler or de-interlacer.

All it is really doing is "bridging" the wires so that people who have plasma's without scart inputs can connect RGB sources (like digiboxes, games consoles etc.) Without one of these convertors, people would have to use simple composite to connect - which as you know is rubbish :)

I would imagine the RGB2VGA would be the same, as this is simply a converter too...

If you have RGB scart on your media box, I would guess that is about the best you can get with RGB scart sources.

JJ

5. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    From what I've read on these forums, my impression was that the JS convertor is only 'better' than scart RGB with the 6 series Panasonic.

The reason for this is that the Scart inputs on the Panel are not as good as the Component inputs, hence the picture being better if it goes into the panel via YUV.

More of a problem with the Panasonic Scart connections than anything else...

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I contacted John Sim before I received my 504 and he suggested that the improvement using a yuv converter on Sky would be minimal and probably not worth it.
    He said the most improvement would be via a VGA converter but even that would be small.
    Based on that I decided not to bother with either.

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks Brogan. John unfortunately did not even tell this to me although I mentioned what I was doing before I bought. Still a minimal improvement is the opposite of the deterioration that I observed.