1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS RGB-Component vs Keene RGB2C

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rob100, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Has anyone had experience of both these boxes? Is the JS box really worth £55 more? How does the PQ compare?

Thanks,

Rob.

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I've got one of these and it's excellent. Great picture. Very high build quality, nice gold RCAs. Passes through sound too.

However, if price is your driver Keene also comes with cables; and can also do component to RGB (if you so wish).

StooMonster

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried both on the same plasma with the same source. No contest. John Sims JS boxes definately worth the extra. John produces near broadcast quality video peripherals.

4. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Okay, looks like a JS box then - I'm certainly not going to cut corners at this stage.

How does everyone rate Keene products in general? I'm looking at the Keene Scart Commander and the BT945 but can't decide which is the best bet.

Rob.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll tell you more about Keene later, I must speak to them today about a possible fault. My dealings with them so far have been excellent, and I was pleased with the product when I got it.

6. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to purchase one of these myself. Again like others I wanted to spend the least amount of money possible but didn't want to cut corners at this stage. Taking Sky to a DLP PJ with a 6.6ft image. I know Uncle Eric has done a test which really helps but any others out there with expierence to a DLP???

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Keene have now sent me another lead to try, have yet to get it from the P.O. They were v. helpful on the phone, if a little tardy. I use mine with an LCD, and a plasma at work, but have not seen a JS box in use. I am basically happy with the picture quality with the keene, but someone more picky might find fault, and given more funds I would have gone for the JS.

8. HAK

HAK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had experience of the three main RGB to component converters out there and would rate them as follows:

JS Tech RGB to YUV - 9/10
    Cypress Technology CSY-2100 - 6/10
    Keene RGB2C - 2/10

Had a complete nightmare with the Keene converter which doesn't seem to like the macrovision on certain region 2 DVD's. Even after the unit was "modded" to remove the problem discolouration was still evident and playback unwatchable.

Also worth noting is that the Keene converter cannot handle progressive (component) input above 34khz so does not work with scalers/DVD players with prog component out.

In conclusion, I would have agree with eric (above) that the JS box is definitely worth the extra few quid if you can stretch to it.
    I would also highly recommend the JS RGB to s-video v2 as a cheaper alternative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current set-up:

DVD/STB -> JS RGB-to-YUV -> AVT-3700 scaler -> Samsung PS42P2S panel

9. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been using mine a while now from Sky box to Tosh MT5. I only really watch sport with it but notice that the picture seems to go lighter & then darker every 10-20 seconds. It's the kind of thing you get used to but becomes annoying if you look for it.

Can't work out if it's the Sky box, thor scart lead, JS Tech box, Component lead to Denon 3802 (lead from JS Tech), Component switching on the amp???

Any ideas to be able to watch Man U win the title without this problem???:clap:

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I had a similar problem with JS-Tech and Sky digibox and iScan Ultra and picture on plasma.

I worked out the problem and solution myself, and then confirmed the result with Dr John Sim.

It's a ground loop problem. Brightness bars or changing brightness are a good indicator of it.

Fix? Ferrite clamps. With both the power cables to both converter and digibox, attach a ferrite clamp at each end of cable; and at the equipment end pass the cable through the ferrite many times to increase it's filtering effectiveness.

StooMonster

11. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got both, use them for running Sky+ into my iScan Ultra. Didn't get any ground loop problem with either product. My VGA cable has ferrite cores at both ends - might prevent it, I suppose. Stoo will probably say I didn't notice any problems because of my 'inferior' Panny4 :boring:

I bought both with no intention of returning either, so price was not an issue. To be honest, I couldn't see any difference between them. If you really are pushed for cash, get the Keene one. If you're not worried about cost, please support JS for his valuable contribution to our community and buy his product :smashin:

Andrew_B

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the high ratting! Going to have to work on getting 10/10.

What's the difference between my and other designs? I use discrete parts to do the conversion. This allows me to design to a much higher standard, resulting in a better conversion. I did look at integrated solutions for doing the conversion, but felt they wouldn't give the picture quality I was aiming for with this design. My approach was that if you've spend several thousand on a plasma, good picture quality is not enough, it's got to be excellent.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

13. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Never dis'ed a Panny4 ever, or in fact anyone's kit; (perhaps) except nathan_silly in his ongoing arguement that rear-projection televisions are better than plasmas. Where does this come from? :confused:

AFAIK ground loop problems are individual to installations, and not to equipment per-se; didn't mean to suggest that it was fault of JS-Tech's excellent kit, and hope no one drew that conclusion from my post above.

My ground loops problems were caused by equipment (Sony digibox is particularly problem, Sky+ less so) and bad earthing in my very old house (since fixed by electrician).

Also recently, I have replaced most of my mains cables with Wattgate laden high-quality anti-RFI/EMI ones; but I'm still using ferrite clamps around power to Sky+ and JS-Tech. I will be using Mark Grant's excellent Figure-8 power cables a.s.a.p., although having a couple of ferrites isn't a problem.

StooMonster

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've designed the RGB to S-Video V2 and Component converter to use Figure-8 power leads so that you can change leads if required. I'll eventually do the same with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

Personally, I prefer products when I can change over interface leads etc to get the best quality from the product.

Having a Figure-8 power socket on the products is also handy for those buying for use in other parts of Europe.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Figure-8, or IEC-320 C7 if one prefers, socket compared to captive leads is certainly much favoured here. Nice extra on my receny Sky+ install.

Giving people their own choice of mains cable is another fine feature of your products, and also enables easy sale for rest of Europe. ;) Having a captive lead on the RGB2VGA is the only niggle I've ever heard said about it.

Will hopefully receive Mark Grant's figure-8 mains leads this week. :)

StooMonster