JS Converter - Brilliant!

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
Had my system for a week now, PWD7, Denon 2105 and Panny E65 DVD - and had Sky+ connected via the E65.

Just received a JS Converter from AVSales so that audio and video from Sky+ can go straight to the amp, rather than through the E65. WOW, the picture quality on Sky+ has improved considerably, particularly footie. Any techies out there able to explain why PQ is so dramatically improved?

The irony is I bought the JS converter to sort out a lip sync problem!!! :thumbsup:

Bearded_Malc

Novice Member
You've answerd your own question. The RGB is no longer routed through the E65. The JS-VGA doesn't really count as it only generates sync from the scart composite video signal. The RGB signals aren't touched. So you now don't have the added noise from the E65, hence better PQ.

gstadt

Would the JS converter have the same impact on Freeview, which as I understand it, has better PQ than Sky.

hornydragon

its due to a £150 converter being better at converting than a £250 DVD recorder that happens to convert video as well....you Now have the best of both worlds (I assume you bought an RGB>YUV converter)

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
Bearded_Malc said:
You've answerd your own question. The RGB is no longer routed through the E65. The JS-VGA doesn't really count as it only generates sync from the scart composite video signal. The RGB signals aren't touched. So you now don't have the added noise from the E65, hence better PQ.
Cheers Bearded Malc.
BALLISTIX said:
Cardiff, m8 how did you have it set up before, and how have you got it set up now?
Originally:
Sky+ scart into AV2 of the E65
E65 component to Denon 2105
Denon 2105 component to PWD7

Now:
Sky+ scart into JS Converter
JS Converter component to Denon 2105
Denon 2105 component to PWD7

Is that what you meant?
hornydragon said:
(I assume you bought an RGB>YUV converter)
Yes, mate - looking really good now. All I need now is some decent speakers - they're stuck in Germany somewhere at the mo.

hornydragon

was DVDR connect to sky TV or VCR scart? (can connect sky VCR>DVDR but composite only suggest using S-video from Sky+ to E65)

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
I've got Sky+ TV scart > JS converter
Sky+ Video scart > E65 AV2

Haven't tested it out yet, but can't see why it won't work.

Don't have a VCR but do have a second Sony DVD player. Not sure whether you can record DVD to DVD, but reckoned on simply unplugging scart from Sky+ and sticking it into the back of the Sony DVD if I do.

That sound OK?

hornydragon

Ok what did you have before the converter arrived (was E65 set to prog scan? if so try turning it off)

yes but as posted above S-video from Sky+ (has dedicated S-video socket) to E65 (either scart AV2 or S-video soket) wil give better PQ for Acrhiving Sky+ than composite.

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
Ok what did you have before the converter arrived (was E65 set to prog scan? if so try turning it off)
Before the converter arrived I had scart from Sky+ TV to E65 AV2. I had prog scan on but had also tried it with prog scan off.
yes but as posted above S-video from Sky+ (has dedicated S-video socket) to E65 (either scart AV2 or S-video soket) wil give better PQ for Acrhiving Sky+ than composite.
So are you saying that S-video from Sky+ to E65 will do a better job than a good quality scart from Sky+ to AV2? If so, I could use the AV2 scart to connect up with the Sony DVD scart.

Piers

S-video will be better because the VCR scart on the Sk= box is composite only. However it will accept RGB in so connect your other DVD player to it.

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
Thanks guys. So the best bet is:

Sony DVD scart to Sky+ video scart
Sky+ s-video to E65 s-video

Presumably then to record from Sony DVD to E65, I just turn the Sky+ box off?

Am i getting there?

Piers - in the middle of sending you a PM mate.

I

ian.webb

Cardiff,

You said you bought the JS converter to improve the lip-sync issues. Did it work?

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
nearly mate sony>e65 on scart to AV2 and Sky+ to the S-video in socket on rear...
Yes I thought that at first HD, but Piers' post seems to suggest connecting the Sony DVD into the Sky+ video scart.

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
ian.webb said:
Cardiff,

You said you bought the JS converter to improve the lip-sync issues. Did it work?
Hi Ian, not certain yet - I had a quick look when I connected the thing up but haven't sat down to do any solid viewing yet - I'll give you an update later.

The only problem I had with lip sync was when I took Sky+ video via the E65 but took digital audio separately direct to amp so that I could get dolby digital (there was no significant lip sync if both video and audio went through the E65).

Mep

sorry to be dumb but can i just butt in with a related question....if you use the vcr scart on sky+ as an rgb in how do you select bewteen sky+ viewing and whatever source you have coming in?

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
mep said:
sorry to be dumb but can i just butt in with a related question....if you use the vcr scart on sky+ as an rgb in how do you select bewteen sky+ viewing and whatever source you have coming in?
mep, I assume that if Sky+ is switched on, then that will display. You would need to turn Sky+ off to enable the incoming source to display. I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows different.