JRiver media player is the ultimate.

An opinion, and one I would agree with - except you're putting it up against HTPC software, which JRMC cannot (nor will it ever) match. It just isn't what the software is about.

A more accurate comparison would be JRMC vs BSPlayer or JRMC vs WinAmp. Comparing it to MediaPortal and XBMC is like comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit, but there the similarities end.

nuh ugh!:D

JRiver is mostest awsome program ever! It lays waste to all those cheap communist programs!

I did have Winamp at some point, but It couldnt do much- however I assume that this would be another program that has endless plugins available??

Oh yes, TMT offer it as a free download on their website...... If it is available all over the web without needing to buy the actual product it must be legal!

I couldn't agree with you more.

as SBR mentioned, I had assumed that we were talking LPCM... you are arnt you? -
If so- then as the file is licenced only (as you keep suggesting) then you should delete your copy of MP as its morally wrong to have it! in which case-

JRiver is the best player ever!

If its all legal and MP cannot output LPCM dts-hdma, then great-

JRiver is the best player ever!

]Suggesting that I just state JRiver is better without justifying it is deluded
I couldn't agree with you more.

I get what your trying here.... the old switcharoo!! .......read it again s l o w l y .:rolleyes::facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've read the first 5 or so posts.. and skimmed through the rest and like there always are- there are some compelling arguments as to why one should try JRiver..

But the second you've brought a $50 charge into it has made me loose interest immediatley. JRiver could jump out the screen, give me a hair cut and cook me dinner, I still wouldnt pay for it. I would rather support all the people that contribute to these open source solutions and have spent years making improvements and getting things right, that a commercial business that have made something for a quick buck- but just like most things will never be the market leader in anything and will never be able to do everything you want it to.

So far from the list of things you mentioned that seem to work so well, unless I've misunderstood something all of these use programs/packages/codecs which are completely free and can be incorperated into either XBMC or MediaPortal for free, just with a bit of work. Worth $50 to me? Nah

I completely respect the fact you are entitled to your opinion, and I've no doubt this can do some things better than XBMC and MediaPortal... but do you know what? I bet you if we dug down to the crucks of it I doubt the gap is that big, and Id also bet that the list of things you can do with the likes of XBMC and MediaPortal are far bigger than what JRiver can.

So, to summerise, i think youve come at the thread all wrong. Ive said it a million times, I welcome a new front end to come and rival the big boys, but selling it as an attack against two of the biggest players (for a VERY good reason) in the HTPC market acting as if they have both overlooked certain areas frankly I think is just the wrong way to go about it, especially when theres a charge involved to.

The fact is what does my xbmc do for me?

It plays all my DVDs without problem
It plays all my blurays without problem- with many ways of me getting HD Audio bitstreamed if I wish
It plays every type of common file availible without a second thought
It plays back all of my music without a second guess
It scrapes all of my information from the best sources on the net
It libraries all of my PC games with scraped info- as well as any emulators I wanted and can launch them all within the program
Control with my iPhone/iPad/Andriod etc
It CAN rip blurays/dvds in a number of different ways
There are various nightly builds with TV support integrated
It CAN fully utilise all the codecs, LAV filters, and all those other thingys you mention if you wish
It has complete support for streaming services
and without any underestimation here- no doubt another 100+ things I havnt even touched yet.

And what does it cost me to do all this without a problem?

$0

Thats right

Nothing.

So the question really is with the above in mind, why would I bother spending $50 for something that will essentially do exactly the same thing XBMC and MediaPortal can do- except be far more limited for feature suggestions, skinning options, new improvements, quicker releases, 24/7 report from a huge fanbase with knowledgeable coders (FYI Robbo highest number online on the xbmc forum was 2,081 on 05/12/2011), as well as a raif of other benefits?

If you can REALLY answer that then Im open all ears but tbh nothing youve said has tempted me what so ever to try a program that is ultimately about wanting my money- much like MyMovies.

But its great there is another program out there pushing extra features by the sound of it... as that means any that have been missed im sure will be incorporated into future builds of MP and XBMC :)

So to summerise my thoughts on your initial question of "why isnt this as popular as the iphone"... because imo unlike the iphone, there isnt a big enough gap from the sounds of what JRiver is actually bringing the table- in this case, the open source community is Apple, JRiver is Nokia.

Last edited:
JRiver has been updated and developed over 30 years!

Male cow poo detector triggered! Are you really saying this software existed in 1982??! Don't tell me, it could record Top of the Pops on a ZX81.

Sorry but this thread reads like a double-glazing salesman trying to sell snake oil. Presumably you have an interest in the company or are on commission. If JRiver is any good then this sort of pimping does a product's image no good whatsoever. JRiver has just become the "Amway" of HTPC software.

I call SPAM on this thread after investigation.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...-dont-use-processor-anymore-i-use-jriver.html

Oh look, same OP

For an average "member" you sure do seem to have a big interest in this.

Not to mention I find it increadibly funny that "JRiver" has just signed up and their one post is to say how its not been suck a "quick" buck to make.

This entire thread smells funny to me.

I assure you I am my own person! Yes, I haven't posted on here much, but I do lurk from time to time. Most of it goes over my head to tell the truth, or talking about stuff that doesn't interest me. I built and setup my own HTPC myself, and am happy with it for now. I don't tend to post unless I need help or there's something I know about... and I know a bit about MP & JRMC and the relative merits of each, because as I said, I've been using them both for years.

Apologies if you thought I was "spamming". I thought I could add something to the discussion because I have no vested interest either way. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame, I was quite enjoying this thread it and it did make me go and look at Jriver website although I thought it was cack so didn't stay long. I wonder if anyone went to look and actually bought the software. Thanks for the link to other thread Grangey all looks very odd.

Chill out guys.

Has politeness gone out of the window in 2012?

Personal attacks for voiceing an opinion is unfair.

Not personal but pointing out suspicous behaviour.
I look at it after the OP and found paid for addons required, broken links for other addons etc.

Interesting thread Rob, thanks, but different to what I was asking originally.

I don't own a TV card (worth speaking of), plus it was for my main PC rather than the living room HTPC.

Also, I'm on Virgin now. :laugh:

One day I will get a handle on it all and have everything through the HTPC including TV, but at the moment they are still very separate boxes. :thumbsup:

Well guys there's no doubt about the fact that the OP is passionate about this product, but if we banned people for being passionate then there's a few of you I wouldn't be talking to. I try not to hand out red cards for attacking people's integrity without evidence so I hope you will take my "trimming" with good grace! If any of you are concerned with the content or source of postings, then please use the report post button (which has been done and I thank you for) and it will be acted on more promptly.

On following this thread, I note that the title stipulates "media player" not media center. Also, as someone who has personally flirted with MP on 3 occasions and ended up with a "broken" HTPC, I can see the attraction for something less complicated and demanding of attention. Also interestingly the thread has attracted a fellow user so the opinions are not only those of the OP. I wouldn't dream of spending $50 on something when W7MC meets most of my needs.

Male cow poo detector triggered! Are you really saying this software existed in 1982??! Don't tell me, it could record Top of the Pops on a ZX81.

Sorry but this thread reads like a double-glazing salesman trying to sell snake oil. Presumably you have an interest in the company or are on commission. If JRiver is any good then this sort of pimping does a product's image no good whatsoever. JRiver has just become the "Amway" of HTPC software.

The applicatioon was begun in1998 when the Diamond Rio was just launched. The first 8 versions were called "Media Jukebox". When we added video and photos, it became "Media Center", now "JRiver Media Center". Before 1998, we did network software (TCP/IP and terminal emulation).

JRiver has no connection with lbstyling except that he is a user of our software. I admire his courage though.

You've got a great forum here. I had never taken a good look. Have fun.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver

I call SPAM on this thread after investigation.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...-dont-use-processor-anymore-i-use-jriver.html

Oh look, same OP

For an average "member" you sure do seem to have a big interest in this.

Not to mention I find it increadibly funny that "JRiver" has just signed up and their one post is to say how its not been suck a "quick" buck to make.

This entire thread smells funny to me.

As I said above, lbstying has no connection with JRiver. I think his enthusiasm is genuine.

I signed up to be able to comment. Sorry if that's against the rules. Say the word and I'll withdraw.

Jim Hillegass
CEO, JRiver

I think lbstyling would have been best using a different username on AVForums than he does on the JRiver forum to be honest: JRiver on Avforums discussion

Rather than having all of these "my software is better than your software" rants which always kick off (which are very difficult to give balance to, since I doubt anyone has tried all the different options), would it be possible to create a sticky which has a list of all the capabilities that people use in an HTPC / Media Centre and then have this populated for each software. This could even be done in excel (to make the list more comprehensive) and kept up to date as an attachment. It could include hyperlinks to the appropriate web locations for plugins or guides to help users too.

The current sticky is good, but details of the software is a little out of date, and tend if the sticky OP doesn't want to re-test a bit of software then the first post won't get updated.

Might this work and be useful for us all to track the capability of other software, and for new users to make an educated judgement as to what they want to try???

As I said above, lbstying has no connection with JRiver. I think his enthusiasm is genuine.

I signed up to be able to comment. Sorry if that's against the rules. Say the word and I'll withdraw.

Jim Hillegass
CEO, JRiver

Not at all Jim we always encourage new members and the fact you run a business doesnt break any rules either. You have to take the point in context though that it is/was highly suspecious that you suddenly appear the second lbstyling suddenly has mental marketing moment and start praising JRiver as if it was jesus re-incarnated accross multiple forums on the same website.

What would have been far better is if lbstyling posed the post in a far more openly discussive way rather than an all out attack against your open source competitors- which clearly he had a big lack of knowledge of. This doesnt represent your company in a good way- and I appreciate that this is not your fault or responsibility as he doesnt have any association with you apparently... but equally as a "CEO" I find it HIGHLY irresponsible of you to have your first comment on a thread in a forum of this size with the involvement the thread had in questioning your product- especially when its being represented by only a user- that your first comment shouldnt be about your lack of "quick" financial gain.

If you want to make your product a success I suggest you become involved in a for more posative sence as clearly for a product to be created 12 years ago and to only have a handful of members- something needs to change. From the sounds of it its not so much the product as it sounds like it has a good edge if people are willing to pay for it.

Now, you wont be allowed to start marketing etc on these forums as that is against the rules without being an assured advertiser, but the least you could do is offer a somewhat more insightful input to maybe rectify how your product has been thrown at people than it just take a complete back seat.

As my original post first said, I for one am still very much open ears as to what makes this product stand out against its competitors, and if those are enough to make me part with ÂŁ25 (funny how thats suddenly changed from $50) then I would. But I am get to be articulated as to why this is worth my time when I'm using another solution currently- just like most others will be. Your website doesnt really do much in this sense either...

Last edited:
I think lbstyling would have been best using a different username on AVForums than he does on the JRiver forum to be honest: JRiver on Avforums discussion

Rather than having all of these "my software is better than your software" rants which always kick off (which are very difficult to give balance to, since I doubt anyone has tried all the different options), would it be possible to create a sticky which has a list of all the capabilities that people use in an HTPC / Media Centre and then have this populated for each software. This could even be done in excel (to make the list more comprehensive) and kept up to date as an attachment. It could include hyperlinks to the appropriate web locations for plugins or guides to help users too.

The current sticky is good, but details of the software is a little out of date, and tend if the sticky OP doesn't want to re-test a bit of software then the first post won't get updated.

Might this work and be useful for us all to track the capability of other software, and for new users to make an educated judgement as to what they want to try???

This is a *really* good idea. I find it difficult to keep up with the various changes/new features that crop up from time to time, especially when wiki's for these various bits of software are months/years behind the actual latest version of the software. A repository of 'features' and how to get them working would be excellent.

SBR

@Grangey

Good post! Maybe we should delete the first page of posts and restart this discussion in a more calm manner! As I stated before *all* of these bits of software have their merits and tit for tat hotheaded sniping is never helpful. Robbo's idea is a great one.

SBR

Edit: Oh and for the record - I have no affiliation with jRiver other than being invited to 'beta test' some of their 'nightlies' after helping them get DVB-T2 sorted for UK HD channels (a difficult thing to do from their US office!).

Last edited:

You're as welcome as anyone else, although we have quite tight rules on advertising and promotion of a company, that extends to having your company name as your user name, so an admin will rename you shortly, you can request a new username in the Forum Options as an admin will rename you to Member 5697402 (or similar).

The only thing you need to know is that you are unable to heavily promote your company or their products unless you are an advertiser here, that's just to ensure fairness to advertisers :)

Thank you for taking the time in signing up and helping address some issues.

... that extends to having your company name as your user name, so an admin will rename you shortly, you can request a new username in the Forum Options as an admin will rename you to Member 5697402 (or similar)...

I'm JimH or jriver on other forums. JimH isn't available.

I think you might reconsider that rule. People use their usernames to promote all kinds of things. Why forbid a business?

If Google or Apple wanted to post here, would you make them feel unwelcome?

How about changing it to River?

Im actually very pleased with the way this thead went!!;):laugh:

If I posted a thread with the title 'Is anyone else using JRiver' and preceded to say politely that I find it 'works for me' This thread would have been 2 posts long and 20 ppl would have look at it.
Thats what happened with makeMKV when I posted about that some time ago. And thats another good program.

I did it because of this, and also because the developers seam very humble about there program, and they need not be. You need a blunt tool to get noticed sometimes :D

I wonder how many will try the demo to see if Im right after this thread? Oh im sure it wont work best for everyone for various individual unknown reasons, but its damn good.

@Grangey

SBR

Edit: Oh and for the record - I have no affiliation with jRiver other than being invited to 'beta test' some of their 'nightlies' after helping them get DVB-T2 sorted for UK HD channels (a difficult thing to do from their US office!).

Is there any info guide on that as this is somthing Ill be doing soon? Recommended DVB-T2 stick?

PS- a sticky with a Youtube video in setup of Jriver would be awsome I think. We should ask the devopment team if they would do it, or if they would like me or someone too- this is the 21st century and all that now!

Last edited:
I'm JimH or jriver on other forums. JimH isn't available.

I think you might reconsider that rule. People use their usernames to promote all kinds of things. Why forbid a business?

If Google or Apple wanted to post here, would you make them feel unwelcome?

How about changing it to River?

I'm afraid I don't make the rules or have the power to reconsider them. I also don't have the power to change names, but you can request a different name, such as River, I see no reason why that wouldn't be allowed.

The reason the rule is in place is using your business name as your forum name is a way of making people familiar with it and promoting it - and as a business makes money for those who run it, it makes sense. And as advertising pays for the running of the forums the site owner likes to make it worth advertisers paying - by letting them advertise where the would not be able to as a standard member. If you want to raise issue with the rule you'll have to post in the Feedback forum where the site owner can address it, mods just help enforce the rules :)

The reason the rule is in place is using your business name as your forum name is a way of making people familiar with it and promoting it - and as a business makes money for those who run it, it makes sense. And as advertising pays for the running of the forums the site owner likes to make it worth advertisers paying -

*cough XBMC stickie cough*:rolleyes:

*cough XBMC stickie cough*:rolleyes:

*cough cough* xbmc isnt a business *cough cough* nore is it money making *cough cough* nor is my username xbmc *cough cough* try and have some form of valid argument if your questioning a mod who is explaining why the rules are in place *cough cough*.

Im off to get some beachams cough syrup.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom